1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Motorola Moto X launches in Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

(or $399)

Will you start your own reviews of handsets now Edward or is it just copy and paste press releases? That's not a dig in any way, I'd just rather have a proper review from Bit-tech than the PR Marketing BS.

3. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

It's something I've considered, though it probably won't happen just yet - plenty of other things to fix first. As for the news story, it's so far from marketing BS, I don't even know where to start. Trust me, no press release would say "The phone is also relatively modest when it comes to specs, especially for its price".

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This phone is too expensive for the spec, the only thing going for it really is the Google connection and the likely hood of 4.4, other that than there are so many other phones that beat this on price performance/features worth considering first.

Considering the price of the G you would of though this might have been sub 300.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

No SD card expansion.

why, seriously why would they not give you this and more to the point why would anyone buy a phone without such an option?

Just seems to be such a limiting restriction.

6. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Seems to be very little reason to choose this phone over the Moto G. As far as I can tell NFC, 4G/LTE and a better camera are the only reasons to choose to the X.

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

As I said, it wasn't a dig at all and my question was probably not aimed at just this topic. I'd really like to see an independent review of handsets with direct comparisons to all the major players. All I see on reviews on other sites is minimal comparison and the personal view of the author. Bit-tech has always been thorough and honest with it's in depth reviews of PC components and products. It would be really useful if it came to the smartphone/handset division.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Personally I don't want another tech site to get swamped by the overwhelming amount of news/releases from the phone industry. Some articles about significant hardware upgrades, OS updates, things like that are OK, but handset articles and reviews? No thanks, here is far to much of that already. I know this is Bit-Tech now but I want my CPC back.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

$399 = 292€ + 20% VAT = 350€. Sure, there is a markup, but that comes down to one or both of these two factors :
    1) american manufacturers still count with "better" exchange ratio, not the real exchange ratio. For example at 1€=$1.2, the price without VAT is €332,5 and surprise, surprise, with VAT it is €399.
    2) they price in the 2 year warranty EU demands, unlike the 1 year warranty in USA.

Reality is probably the combination of both of these factors - "exchange ratio" at 1.27 = €314 without VAT, €377 with VAT, plus the price of the longer warranty.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Whilst I don't mind a bit of non-PC related tech news, for me this is still a PC hardware and modding site predominantly so I'd like to see more reviews of PC bits and things :thumb:

Good sites which review all manner of tech are few and far between, and I can't see Dennis throwing much money at Bit-tech to become another one when they already own other sites more suited to the task.

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

More articles/reviews on modding and watercooling components and guides on how to use them would be most welcome. I know there are the forums but the blogs tend to be full of personal opinions and with so many sponsored builds now, well, opinions can be very biased too.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Because I don't need more than about 4Gb of space on my phone.
    I don't need it to listen to music, I never need to take more than about ten photos, and I find one web-browser more useful than a different app for each website.
    We all use our phones for different things, that's why there's so many different models.

Tags: Add Tags