1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mounting LCDs

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Digital Fodder, 30 Nov 2001.

1. Digital Fodder

Digital Fodder What's a Dremel?

does anyone here have a maplins LCD or an Orient display? i need to mount it but the holes on the outside but the holes are effing tiny! know any ideas?
    To give you any idea of how small the holes are the diamiter of each hole is 3mm !!!
    :(

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

[​IMG]

I widened mine using a 3mm drill bit :eek: Two of the corners are quite clear of any data lines and two screws is more than enough :D

Cheers,

r.

3. Digital Fodder

nice, do you think that i could find nuts and bolts that are small enough? Mmmmm.

4. macroman

macroman The One

3mm is a standard size. They are sold by almost every hardware store. ;)

5. Digital Fodder

problems is thats the size of the hole... i need screws or whatever that will fit through it so a size of 2.5 maybe?

6. macroman

macroman The One

Should be no problem 2.5mm is a standard size also. Try a local hardware store or Maplin, RS, Farnell etc thay all sell them.

7. KillerBee

KillerBee What's a Dremel?

very kewl lcd you have there

8. Cheese

Cheese Doc

What software are you using with your mappers lcd mate?

r.

EDIT: Oh and I'd pay a visit to b&q or similar for your 2mm (probably the size you want) screws and bolts - the postage of ordering online really isn't worth it! :D

Last edited: 1 Dec 2001
  9. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

like the others said 2.5mm is a standard size , but i went into my local b&q and they olny had 3.5mm nuts&bolts and up . But try your local store . Iam monuting mine in a box like macroman did (thx for the idear MM) , but iam putting mine in 1 of thoes i.mac blue boxes from mappers , with an adjustable stand .

sj

p.s. thecheeseman i got my lcd working , iam uesing that lcdcenter to control it . Thx agin for help .

10. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Ok another solution to the holding in problem - I've just put PVC beading (XR78K from mappers) around the hole in my stand and now the hole is tight enough to easily hold the lcd in without screws...

Cheers,

r.

11. CodeThief

CodeThief What's a Dremel?

I cut a rectangle hole (the size of the display) in a faceplate (Lian Li) then Araldited the black surround of the display to the faceplate, if I can find a digi camera I'll show you :)

Thief

12. Digital Fodder

im running LCDcenter2.0 @ the mo... i dont understand LCD smartie because theres no documentation

13. Cheese

Cheese Doc

The documentation is on the website and I... err.. don't remember where that is :(

I just loaded it and it worked with my parallel lcd - lots of the screens were useless (game servers, weather reports from strange places) so I went into setup and removed those screens. All seemed fairly simple to me :confused:

r.

edit: found the url - http://www.rendo.dekooi.nl/~fjbgp/smartie/

Last edited: 1 Dec 2001
  14. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

im thinking of putting a 4-Line VFD form MatrixOrbital, probably hte VFD2041.... in my new computer, but the bay inserts, take up 2 drive bays....i was also thinking of a 4-knob RheoBus for fan control, but the case i am getting only has 4 5.25" bays, and im already putting a DvD and a CDRW in it, so i wont have room for the fan control if i do....I could, externally mount the VFD, couldn't i? I kind of want it "in-dash" in the bays with a bay insert....

15. Cheese

Cheese Doc

You don't have to put the lcd in a drive bay... you could just cut a hole elsewhere in your case and put the lcd in there :)

r.

p.s. yep no prob in external mounting

16. Cicada

Cicada What's a Dremel?

sounds good :)

i'd just have to find somewhere else to mount the LCD....

17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

If you're going external don't forget to buy the long serial cable :eek: Cheers,

r.

EDIT - and you'll also need to make a power cable, but thats very easy

18. SpikeyJake

SpikeyJake What's a Dremel?

Iam mounting my lcd external . But i was just going to ues 1 12 core cable . The only thing is do you thing it will be ok to mix power wires and the wires to the parlle port ??

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yeah that's fine, just split the cable as it gets close to your pooter - I assume 12 way cable is for a serial lcd? Though they go to a 9 pin port I don't think they need all 9 pins, 12 way cable is probably OTT :)

r.

p.s. If it is for a parallel lcd then I think 12 is the bare minimum (i.e. no contrast, backlight control)

20. Digital Fodder

nope, as far as i can see (witch is not very far) there is no info on how to set the prgram up and other docs. The only info i can find is the revsion history.