1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mouse modding scroll wheel

Discussion in 'Modding' started by manvadher, 23 Oct 2003.

1. manvadher

manvadher What's a Dremel?

hey guys... need a bit of help.
    ive done a search on people modding the wheel of the mouse so they can get it looking bloo, but im not sure where to connect the the led and resistor up to?
    is it possible to add the LED connectors to the 5v and 0v of the mouse cable, ie, before it goes into the circuitry?
    looked at that guy jalapa, but hes only got the connection for a logitech mouse.
    i want to mod my MS optical Blue mouse which has a semi-clear scroll wheel (clear, but tinted bloo) so im hoping just to add a LED to the back of it.
    one last bit... got circuit diagrams for the mouse???
    Cheers people
    btw. what you guys think of this case?
    yeh or neh.
    Linkie

2. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

It is Japala ;)

Anyway, yes, you can take the power from that mouse cord. You just need to recognice the correct wires that carry constant +5v and the gnd.

Usually the thin black is the gnd and red/yellow is the one with +5 volts. If you check the wires on that PCB you may notice that some foils coming from the cord connector are thicker than others. There are the ones that carry more current than data lines, making them easier to spot. Just a little tip for you. :) Also, the led may shine correctly if you take the power from a data line but then the mouse will not work right. Easy to know that you need to change the wire that you are using for power.

I happened to have this image. It may help you but then again, maybe not.
    [​IMG]

3. manvadher

on that picture, there are 2 LED's. one for the senor (which i am not going to touch) and the other, to light up the back on the mouse. can i not just use those wires to connect the LED to light up the wheel? sorry for all the questions... dont wanna fry my new mouse, only got it yesterday, but i got an old one i can try on first so...
    also, if it is dont "wrong" is it possible to still plug it into the computer without blowing up the PC?
    sorry for getting your name wrong, "japala"

4. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

It all depends on your led specs. That tail led isn't getting that much voltage so if you are planning on using for example blue led, it won't be that bright because blue led needs more voltage. That is why it is better to take the power directly from that cord connector.

When I did my Cryo mod, I found this jump wire next to that tail led and took the +5 from there. :)

[​IMG]

5. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

that case is great btw - do you have a price and/or distributor for it?

6. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

I agree about that case, very sharp. I imagine the price is steep though.

7. manvadher

sorry to say... but the case is from.
    PC WORLD!!!
    in the uk, for only £65, inc vat, but excludes a PSU, but who wants a crappy generic PSU that says is 450w but only pumps out 5v :p neways... hope u like the case, i know i do...
    if people are really interested in the case, i might be able to get my work place, Micro-Logic Computers to get a decent amount of them in. at the moment, they are getting one in ONLY for me, but if theres a lot of demand here, i can have words and bring them in.

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same mouse as you. plus the old 5.0 explorer, I transfered the wheel to the old 5.0, and hooked up a bloo led like your trying. I piggy backed it directly off of the sensor led and it has giving me, no trouble what so ever. also it gets brighter/dimmer with the sensor Led which I think is cool. You can pigy back it off of the tail or the sensor LEd with no problem. Also I put in a bloo Sensor Led and it also has given me no problems. So in conclusion Its okay to piggy back off sensor. which I believe gives off somethign like 2.4 volts in passive and aroudn 3 something in active

9. LCDNinja

LCDNinja What's a Dremel?

10. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

I have a Microsoft OMB, and i modded the light to light up the scroll wheel. what i did was i removed the second led (that pointless one that does nothing) and straight swapped it with an 8000mcd white 5mm led. looks great at night, its a very simple mod. thats the way I'd do it if I were you.

11. manvadher

so the LED that lights up the red thingy at the back, that LED you removed and put in a white one? so i take it that the scroll wheel is fine in the opticity (dunno... lets enough light through). so shining a white LED makes the scroll wheel light up bloo?
    cool.... when i get time... gonna pop in to maplins, get about 4 bloo LEDS, anyone have the stock code for decent bright ones??
    also... silly mod now... gonna change the three green leds at the top of the ketboard to bloo... can you??
    by the looks of things, the plastic is acually green so for it to become bloo i need to make a new plastic mould... oh well.. no harm in trying..
    right guys... gonna be away for a few days so if i dont reply, dont think im a prick ;)

12. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Just to remind you of my previous post

"It all depends on your led specs. That tail led isn't getting that much voltage so if you are planning on using for example blue led, it won't be that bright because blue led needs more voltage. That is why it is better to take the power directly from that cord connector. "

Yes, it can be replaced but it will not be as bright as from that 5 volt line.