1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mouse with 3+ buttons

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by russ555, 26 Oct 2010.

1. russ555

russ555 New Member

I've been looking for a mouse with 3+ buttons for a while and im having no luck :(.

When I say "buttons" I mean buttons that can be used to do stuff in game like jump,reload and stuff like that.

I've tried searching for things like 6 button mouse but it still comes up with crap thats got 2 useful buttons and the rest just change the DPI or something else just as pointless:wallbash:

One I found that looked promising is the Roccat kova but reviews have put me off it. Then theres the razer naga but that is retardedly over priced.

Does anyone have or know of something better?

2. Gener8

Gener8 nab

Most mice have 2 buttons on the side which can be used for jumping in games etc. How many of these buttons do you need? e.g mouse4 and mouse5

In all honestly keeping your binds to your keyboard is a better idea, you mouse hand already has a lot to do; it will also save you money :)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

About sll mouses with extra buttons from either Microsoft and Logitech (and I am sure Razor) are perfectly configurable.

On my MX Revolution mouse I have a full setup for it.
    It's application based profile which you can do with the program it comes with it, so it provides you with great flexibility. I also use UberOptions (a hack program of sorts... basically just changes the XML configuration files of the mouse softwrae to include a wide variety of buttons functionality).

Under Windows, the side second wheel/switch (control by the thumbs) is used to zoom in/out, and exit zoom, by replicating the keys Win+-, Win++ and Win+Esc respectively (Windows 7 only, as it is a Win7 feature).
    Back/Forward buttons are used as their name says, and the Search button is used as the third mouse button (if you press on the wheel, you switch between free spin wheel, and the traditional clicky wheel).

In games, I use all the the buttons of the mouse other then left and right click, to do something related to the game.

If you are interested in such mouse, sadly the MX revolution (retail price 130$ Canadian/US) is no longer available. The replacing model is a less sophisticated model the Performance MX:
    -> You have no side wheel (3 button switch, tilt forward, back, and press), but have 2 buttons instead (better for gaming as switch takes a few ms to slide your thumb on it, but you loose 1 feature)

-> Using a 1x AA Sanyo Eneloop NiMHH battery (recharger built-in mouse), instead of a lithium-ion battery.. so shorter battery life, but easy to switch batteries and no recharge base (the mouse has a USB connector and provided cable, to recharge the mouse while in usage, which is nice when you feel like gaming and your wireless mouse is low). It would have been nice to have 2 batteries inside, while one is empty it switched to the other... where putting 2 batteries for functioning is optional.. one is minimum so that weight it not an issue. Oh well. Personally, I prefer the Lithium ion battery of the MX revolutions, as the battery last very long (2 to 3 weeks easy, and that is considering that my mouse is well over 2 years old)

-> The wheel of the MX Revolution used to have a motorized system to do the switch between click and free spin mode, which allowed per application auto-switch, or on demand (spin the wheel fast enough and the switch is done.. it's adjustable via the software). The MX Performance is a mechanical system only, so you need to press on it, to do the switch, and the mechanize system will do the switch. It's fine, but not as fancy.

-> New feature, is that you can switch the DPi on the fly of the mouse, from the mouse.

The up side is that the mouse is much less expensive, and can be acquired for 80-100$ if you look well, even 60$ on specials. Much better than the 130$ mouse. I wish they had the MX revolution still out.

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

How many buttons do you need?

I've recently reviewed CM Storm Inferno and Logitech G700, both of which come with some extra buttons.

6. alex!

alex! Kick-ass:Death ratio 93

7. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Well-Known Member

Currently using a Roccat Kone V2, 2 thumb buttons, 2 for DPI, one opens up windows menu, I have lean on my mousewheel, but yet, a Naga is on its way to me :D

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I use a logitech mx 518, and I can map those extra buttons to any keyboard button using software. Then, ingame, i just remap the keyboard buttons to fit the mouse or vice versa.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as long as the software is up for it, you'd be fine.

my Logitech G5 has 4 extra buttons on top of regular 2 button + wheel. although 2 out of those 4 button are DPI changing, you can still re-assign them to other function through the mouse control panel. most Logitech mouse also can make scroll wheel tilt, you can assign stuff to the tilt function.

it depends on your needs, but i've rarely used those buttons in-game, since it distracts from aiming.

10. russ555

russ555 New Member

I would have liked the naga but its like £115 which is stupid.

I found the review on the storm inferno which seems perfect, more than an average mouse for a very reasonable price. I've ordered it from ebuyer which seemed to have the best price.

Thanks for the help.