1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Mouse with fan

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DarkLord7854, 25 Jun 2005.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Before you say anything, I know that there's this page where they cover it: http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/rottaflekti/index_eng
    However, those instructions are extremely poor, nothing about the resistor size or ohms or anything, nor how he was able to solder it to a chip. I'm trying to put mine via the PS/2 cables, I've dissected an old mice, stripped open the cables, and started connecting the fan wires to them randomly, trying to find which wire was which. none worked (yes the mouse was plugged in and yes I did reboot the comp before trying). It's a 12v fan not a 5v, I can't find any 5v fans where I live and parents are downright agaisnt ebay as they got charged 400$ by some dumb hacker (we got the money back). I also wanted to hook up an LED with mice (so the little holes for the air glows green). I've got a brand-new soldering iron, 2 green LEDs, solder wire and tinner, and 5 10-Ohm resistors (all from radioshack) for 21$ in all.

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

rightie things u need to know, does your 12v fan spin at 5v.

then where the 5v and gnd are in the mouse.

He soldered to the legs of the IC to tap the 5v and gnd, for both the LED and the fan, these are wired in "parallel". You really need a very small fan that can run at 5v.

3. DarkLord7854

I actualy found out the mice I was using was screwed, so I whiped out another and stuck the fan wires into the connector (black and orange) and it shuddered, so i pushed it and it began spinning. Too slowly for any airflow though :waah:
    Don't have much money left to buy a 5v fan, any really really good deals?

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

learn to scavenge :D
    Miami is a big city yeh? So find computer shops just ask, they'll let you have a second hand one for free (they have to pay for them to be recycled..... actually i don't think they do in the USA, well i don't know) but be cheeky, go dumpster diving.

or get a job.

5. DarkLord7854

lmao, I'll try that
    Can't get a job till I'm 16 (in november) :(

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Along with the resistor size. Which is part of a different mod altogether. :rolleyes:

7. DarkLord7854

Figured it out by myself without checking the logomouse, am using a 10-Ohm resistor and a green LED, works nicely, now I need the 5v fan and drill some holes and I'm done.

8. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

You're prolly fairly drastically shortening the lifespan of the led with that resistor, as it is likely to be a 3V 20mA led if that is the case you are giving it 200mA.

40 Ohm should be your absolute minimum (50mA), and 100 Ohm is prolly the most sensible (20mA)

9. DarkLord7854

It's a 2.1v 25mA 6.3mcd 5mm Green LED, people at radioshack said that was good, slap on one or two 10-ohm resistors and it'll be fine

**EDIT**
    Mouse is giving 5v and 15mA

Last edited: 26 Jun 2005
  10. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

120 Ohm then according to my little LED calculator.

11. DarkLord7854

Well here's the first part of the mouse with just the lights (the green is really icky... i'm going to try different LEDs tomorow and fit the fan in if I get one). I'm going to try to get different resistors too.
    [​IMG]
    That's a test mouse btw, my mouse is way better then that... thing:D
    It's not the greatest thing ever but it's the first time I do my own soldering and "modding"

12. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

We all have to start somewhere.. The mouse still working after your first attempt at a mod (I assume it is) is pretty good tbh.

13. DarkLord7854

Mouse work fine, just that I'll never use it since it's not optical and needs cleaning every so often. I can't seem to be to pop open my optical mouse though, no screws no nothing.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=443210&CatId=0
    Got it for 2$ btw, came without the box and stuff. Seems to have plenty of room and it's nicely rounded giving me plenty of space to make holes and stuff.
    I just learned why the green LED is yellow, the plastic is green, not the actual light :rolleyes: But w/e, it was 2 for 50cents so w/e (I fried one of the LEDs by accident... he he...)

14. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

the screws are hidden under the little teflon pads.

The light is yellowy because its well over spec....grab some 100-120 Ohm resistors. You also might want to pick up somthing with a better light output because 6.3 mcd is pretty weak (if you/they got that figure correct)

15. DarkLord7854

If i remove the little black pads, can they be stuck back on or something?

I thought it was because it was the plastic that was green and the actual diode white. But like I said, tomorow I'm gonna get more powerful LEDs and with different colors and new resistors. Parents liked what I made and are letting me have more freedom with the budget

16. iamnafets

iamnafets What's a Dremel?

The fan in the mouse will never really be that strong. My friend has a USB Airflo from whoever, and it barely moves the air around, but maybe it's enough, who knows. Just for the record though, even the "professionals" couldn't make a nice fan out of it. Maybe a fan driven by a stirling engine off the heat of the palm of your hand vs a cold desk ;) (Actually, that'd be freaking sick if not impossible to pull off)

17. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Erm... :hehe:

If you'd read the logomouse page linked you'd see Japala recommends a 100-150 ohm resistor, same as everybody here.

19. DarkLord7854

Well once I get ahold of one (maybe more but probably wouldn't fit and not enough power) I'll let you know wether or not it cools my sweaty palms.

I didn't read the logomouse :p
    Doesn't really matter, that was just to test if I could solder a circuit together without tsticking the iron through my palm or soldering it to the desk or something :D

20. DarkLord7854

Sry for double post. I put in a 5v 30mA LED in it instead of the green one (mouse is 5v 15mA). Does it still need a resistor? I bought some 100-ohm resistors