1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moving current Windows 10 x64 Pro to new rig

Discussion in 'Software' started by antipcw, 4 Dec 2019.

1. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Two-three years ago, when MS was offering universal Free Upgrades for OS, took the opportunity to move from my existing Windows 7 64-bit Pro to such a free Upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit Pro, so there was nothing to pay or buy.

Question for OS wizards here is, I am about to build an Intel 9th Generation-based rig, so can anyone kindly advise how I can re-install that existing Windows 10 64-Bit Pro OS to the new rig without the Licence Key, or if that Key was supplied at the time of that universal Free Upgrade, which I do not recall, where such a Key located? I do not want to pay for an OS I already have just because of a new rig.

Thanks for any potential answers.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've always linked my MS account to my Win10 install, and despite having changed from Intel to AMD, the reinstall was automatically acitvated when I re-linked my account.

Same happened recently when, although most of the hardware didn't change, I had to reinstall onto an nvme.

I'm not even sure, now, whether Win10 licenses are assigned to hardware or to the person.

My Win10 pro license also came from a Win7 upgrade back in the day. I went Ultimate-Pro, so I don't know if that has any bearing, but I doubt it.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Reinstall and type in your Windows 7 key.

Guest-44638 likes this.
  4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

This, sometimes I have been luck in that I just drop the old drive in new machine and it activates other times I have had to input my old os key.

Appears to be no reason why it decides to take one route over another, occasionally I have had to call ms to activate who once satisfied I am not having a laugh issue a new w10 retail key so I don't have to do this again.

5. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

I did exactly the same
    Re-install Windows 7 x64 Pro, or the Windows 10 x64 Pro?

I loathe calling MS. Kept on hold, costs a fortune. Will bear in mind your old drive into new machine trick.

Thanks, guys for being so helpful so swiftly.

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

This ^

And even if you do get any issues, the automated telephone activation is free to dial and will send a link to your mobile, with a one time portal where you can complete the activation.

7. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks Jeff, and Zoon for that. Noted.