1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Moving my master phone socket location

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennifer, 1 Nov 2005.

1. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, if you can help this would be great. I just got a Netgear wireless router, works perfectly and is setup for my internet just fine. I have a computer room upstairs that has a couple of machines in, these pick it up fine obviously with the router being in the same room, however downstairs, there is a signal problem getting into my bedroom. This is basically due to there being a great big boiler band in the middle of the signal's path.

I moved the router to a phone socket downstairs, I was getting full signal everywhere but unfortunately I couldnt connect. I was using a BT ADSL splitter, which is actually different to the wall socket with built in splitter I had upstairs. I dont get any internet from the point downstairs, what do I need to do for the internet to come through this point? I assume it is something to do with the master phone socket location? How do I change where that is? I dont really understand how the phone system works, lol.

Help! Please!

Ben

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You're having problems connecting to the wireless network, or the internet?

If the latter. You need a microfilter on the line upstairs (if there is anything connected to it) as well as on the line downstairs, the microfilter must be placed before anything else on the line. What you could do is disconnect everything on the line, and just have the router connected to it. See what happens.

3. bennifer

Nono, like I said with the router downstairs I get a perfect wireless signal everywhere, its the answer to my signal problem... the actual issue is no internet connection downstiars. There is a microfilter upstairs, its one that is actually installed in the wall socket. a wall socket with a phone and data point.
    Downstairs is a phone socket, and I plugged a microfilter in to that and still no joy :s I might well try disconnecting everything on the line but I have no more phone sockets so if it wont work in that configuration it cant be my answer, as the phone has to be plugged in that socket also. hmm....

sorry if im not being too clear, please clarify anything you arent sure about!! I need this working :)

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Under BT rules, you can't mess with the master socket, it's the one the phone wires from outside join to. Slave sockets are fair game, install as many as you like, where you like, up to the REN limit for stuff plugged in.

You only need a microfilter splitter on sockets that have a phone plugged in, an ADSL-only socket doesn't need a filter - the filter is purely for voice calls to remove the ADSL noise.

More info.

One point - if your house has been wired with a master socket faceplate splitter socket, all the other sockets may be already filtered and would cause problems with ADSL.
    So check if "There is a microfilter upstairs, its one that is actually installed in the wall socket" is the master socket and if all the other sockets are quiet on voice phone without a splitter.

If so, you'll need plug a semi-permanent extension into the ADSL hole.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2005
  5. bennifer

cpemma thanks I think that answers is! The socket upstairs must be the master one and has the adsl faceplate splitter I think, and all the other sockets are standard. So As I understand that hardwired filter makes it so the data line only goes to that one upstairs... and so im pretty buggered as I have no way of getting it downstairs! argh!

Thanks for you help i'll have to try some kind of workaround!

Ben

6. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

"Under BT rules" hahahahha yeah your right but hey rules are for fools :worried:

7. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I had the same problem recently, the router would only connect through the master socket, so I just have a nice long RJ11 extension cable. My Cisco router keeps complaining this cable may introduce errors but so far so good!

Tags: