1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Moving to Fibre - Master socket is not in an ideal position

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matticus, 31 Aug 2013.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

Currently I am on ADSL and am looking into moving to Fibre. The only issue is that my master socket is in the hallway and my computer and other equipment is in another room.

Running cat5e/6 internally is not really an option, there is no 'neat' route to the other room even though I am typing this from my desk and I can see the master socket in the hallway! There are just too many doors to cross no matter which direction I go in. Technically we could go up, we own/live in a flat and as we are at the top we have loft access, but due to the slanted roofs there is no corner edge to neatly go up. TL;DR - can't run internal Ethernet cabling.

As I see it I have 3 options
    1. Stick with ADSL
    2. Go wireless - The issue with this is I have multiple devices to hook up, one being a NAS drive.
    3. Powerline - This would be quite a simple drop in solution but would cost quite a lot for decent kit.
    4. Get the master socket moved - I am not even sure this is possible in my situation and would cost much more than Powerline adapters or a wireless solution.

Wireless seems like a bad idea due to the additional latency and annoyance of getting up multiple devices, though I could use my TP Link router (which can run DD-WRT) as a wireless bridge to simplify this and it would cost nothing.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

openreach will charge you £130 to move the master socket , which by law you cannot do yourself (and another £75 for any extensions you want)

or , if you can remove the lower part of the faceplate , run an extension in the walls your self....

3. monkiboi

monkiboi Member

I don't know about others but when I had BT Infinity installed last year the engineer asked me where I wanted the hub put and moved the master socket accordingly as part of the install.

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

When you order FTTC if you add the Home Wiring kit then the installing enginner can move the master socket or install a extension to where you want it.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

This - I had Infinity setup at home a few weeks ago and moving the master socket was included in the initial setup (which was free). Think it took the engineer about 20 minutes to do.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

call them and ask them?

7. Tichinde

Tichinde Active Member

I told them I wanted it all by my tv and they ran an extension and moved the socket.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Well-Known Member

If all ells fails Powerline adapters: AV 500

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

The problem is that I assume they will need to run some cabling somewhere to move the master socket and internally this is very troublesome. Externally this is almost completely impossible.

I only wish I had thought about this before we moved in as I am sure we could have got the developers to move it!

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

Maybe providing some photos of the area in question would give people an idea and help come up with a solution.

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

I can do one better, I can dig out the plans later.

But as I said running cable isn't really an option. Perhaps I should have just asked what was the best option out of wireless bridge, wireless individual devices and homeplugs and not muddied the waters by mentioning the master socket.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Depends on you fibre speed, but i am afraid the answer is none of the above.

Wireless bridge means you will be limited by the wireless bandwidth, which will be most likely around 60-130Mbps on physical layer, about half of that in case of real bandwidth for you to use - that in case of 802.11n network. In case of 802.11g it would be around 20Mbps real speed. The only really usefull option would be 802.11ac 900/1300, but that is a very expensive option.

Wireless individual devices is same thing as above, made worse by the fact that all devices share that one bandwidth on the wireless level.

Homeplugs are your best bet, if you got good wiring and not much distance. My 200Mbps homeplugs were doing on 130Mbps physical layer in case of ~6m physical distance and ~60Mbps incase of ~12m physical distance. AV500 could do better, but again, price could be a deciding factor.

I would probably go the homeplugs way if the bandwidth is good enough, or just do it correctly and get that ethernet cable even if it means drilling holes in wall or door frames...

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

Thanks for that, faugusztin. Sky reckon 37.4 Mbps, they were pretty correct when they estimated by ADSL speed and as far as I know Fibre estimations seem to be more accurate? Both routers would be wireless n but I think the latency introduced would be a bit too much, especially since I have just started playing shooters online again!

It is a shame I can't just use one of the two sockets in the office, when I previously tested the line speed in the master socket I got 0 difference between all the line stats, even after leaving it in for about a week and kept having to plug in cables across the hallway :hehe: I just popped the sockets off and looked at the cabling behind, they use cw1308 cabling if that matters at all?

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

So let me get this straight - you got telephone connectors inside, but you are missing ethernet ones ? Well, if it has 4 wires then you could at least get 100mbit ethernet connectivity, with 8 you could get a gigabit... In other words, you got RJ25 inside your building, but for ethernet you would need RJ45.\

Edit: It seems that cable standard is very low, so i think you should just use a powerine adapter to get the internet connectivity to your router, and then use it as before, with your router next to your equipment.

Edit2: Or if the cabling was made in any normal fashion (read: in tubes), then you could use your phone cabling to pull through your own Cat5e or Cat6 cable ?

Last edited: 1 Sep 2013
    Matticus likes this.
  15. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

How've you got your ADSL set up at the moment?

When we had TalkTalk install our fibre, we just used the ADSL RJ11 cable we already had so nothing had to be moved. It's about 3-4m ish, which I think the engineer said was just under the limit (think 5m was the max reccomended ADSL cable length).

16. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Active Member

The BT rj11 extension is 30m

If you have no other option run FTTC over your current cabling that you use for adsl, just switch out your current modem for the bt openreach fibre modem

Last edited: 1 Sep 2013
  17. Matticus

Matticus ...

My ADSL modem is connected to the wall in my office with the mf and shortest cable I could find, then a cat5e to my router which is about 2-3 metres away where all my network attached stuff and computer is. There are 2 sockets in there which are hooked up by the standard BT cable which appears to be like very loosely twisted cat5, I think it is CW1308.

As it is a new property (coming up to 2 years) the loss between the master socket and the socket(s) in the office seems very low as my previous testing suggested but I am not sure if that means I can get a fibre ready faceplate on one and plug the fibre modem into that.

I will try and get up in the loft and have a look to see if I can see where the cables drop down and see what I could feasibly do. The only problem is space is limited and I don't want to fall through the ceiling haha.

I would have tried to ring Sky and talk to them but the likelihood of getting someone who knows about this is slim to none, without trying to be rude to anyone who works there. Also I would probably move away from Sky due to not having had the best time with them recently. I need to have a chat with an Openreach engineer to see what my options are, the problem is I don't know any.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions guys, I think until I can get a professional opinion I am just going to cost up some powerline adapters.

18. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Powerline doesn't have to be expensive. Actually I've no idea why Devolo ones cost upwards of £60+, when my TP-Link 200Mbps pass-through ones have been running for a year now with not a single dropout, can't get any better than that can it? Gets a lot of positive reviews too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA4...=1378072955&sr=8-1&keywords=tp-link+powerline

p.s. Get 500Mbps if you're going for 80Mbps Fibre, 200Mbps won't cut it.