1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MP calls for MMO crimes to have real-life punishments

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Eve would suddenly get a lot less - or more - interesting.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm no lawyer, but how is theft of other digital "work" dealt with. i.e if someone hacked into a company and stole the only copy of some digital work, or caused other forms of damage.

Point I'm probably badly trying to make is, isn't theft and hacking already punishable by the legal system ?

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That's firstly computer misuse act before it's anything else, and they would probably start with that. Most things are computer misuse act, accessing things you shouldn't etc. I don't know where digital theft falls, I assume you can get done for it. I am no lawyer either :) just speculating.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There are laws - Computer Misuse Act 1990 is the most pertinent - but they wouldn't see the player as the victim. As a result, the company that owns and/or operates the servers for the game would have to press charges, and that's not likely to happen. The Theft Act 1968 is a difficult one to apply to the digital realm, as it uses the definition 'dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.' Is a Flaming Sword of +1 Ball-Stabbing 'property,' when it A) doesn't exist and 2) is only being licensed to the player for as long as they continue to pay a subscription fee? If I take it from your character illegitimately, do I have the 'intention of permanently depriving the other of it' when Blizzvendi could just create a copy of it back into your account at zero cost? Then we're back to 'belonging to another:' technically the sword isn't yours, it's Blizzvendi's; do we need them to press charges?

Interesting sidebar: this definition of theft is why we have the crime of 'taking without owner's consent,' or TWOCing: a joyrider that claims he or she fully intended to return the car to the original owner minus a little petrol and tyre rubber - or does, in fact, return the car and is caught post-facto - cannot be guilty of theft, as there was no 'intention to permanently deprive.'

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Ownership is such a hard one these days, I think most of my digital things are merely licensed, most of my games, music etc. It's all subscription service. The law I feel maybe is a bit old fashioned in it's approach to safe-guarding consumers in this arena. I don't think the laws should be specific to mmo's, they should just make laws that better protect consumers with licensed material.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"Here, there can only be lies" --Pat Cadigan, on virtual reality

8. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Weatherly's older constituents are wondering why the hell their MP is wasting time with such pointless gaming nonsense, 'Won't be voting for him again!' and the younger gamers in his constituency are unsurprisingly, too busy gaming to notice what he's said and generally have little interest in politics and don't vote, so overall, he's not helped himself a lot :duh:

9. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

This explains why the country is the way it is...Dave and his mates are running raids instead of running the UK!

for the horde!

10. John_T

John_T Minimodder

No, I don't agree with that, I think that's too much of a sweeping generalisation. Older people are just young people who have been around a long time - they're not a different species! :)

While many of them won't understand the intricacies of online gaming, (some will of course) they'll understand perfectly words like 'targeted', 'victim' and 'theft'. I don't understand the finer points of brain surgery, but I don't dismiss it as pointless.

Going back to what other people (and the article) have said, there clearly is a real-world time and financial impact of this kind of thing, so it definitely needs addressing. I think Margo Baggins hit the nail on the head, in that the law needs updating for consumer protection of online services in general.

11. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Hahahahhaa good one :D

12. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Literally cried with laughter reading this, brilliant!!

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

"corruption"

corrupting :)

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I, for one, would prefer to see far more MPs taking action that isn't self-serving. This is a good thing :)

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^This^
    MP's are meant to do what is right for us, not themselves.
    IMHO it's why so many people dislike, distrust politicians, because they are perceived as being self-serving.

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

It would be even less self serving if he didn't happen to be a wow player :)

This article seems (or, by way of the title, tries) to give the impression that in game "crimes" and "theft" will end up in court.

In fact he is talking about people hacking accounts and taking digital properties that have value, which you would have though would be crime under existing law anyway, albeit one that is very difficult to enforce.

17. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Honestly, I do hope they atleast give some of the companies a bollocking (I'm looking at you Valve) about how they handle theft of accounts, theft of items, trade scamming, account bans, etc.

Valve's policy is simple: Go Fork yourself.
    (except for account theft, then its jump through all of these 1001 hoops, before we try and help you. Then, IF you get your account back and your items are all gone, tough ****.)

Get banned for any reason, there is no way in hell you will ever see your account again. I've seen people being banned for downloading a mod of the goddam Steam Workshop get banned... and the mod is still up there!

18. iggy

iggy Minimodder

Todays news: MP gets scammed in WoW, vows revenge.

19. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Hang em', the thieving little scrotes, I went back to a chest in Skyrim where I had put The Warhammer of Everlasting Winegums only to find it ad' been bleedin' alf inched. I'm bettin' it was her from number three Riften St. her eyes are way too close together and she's always hangin' around The Dodgy Geezer Inn pleedin' bleedin' poverty

20. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I agree, but the majority of his constituents will probably think he should be doing far more important things for his local area, with so many issues such as the bedroom tax, rises in council tax, combined with councils having less money to spend there are day centres, drop in centres and many facilities being closed and council services being stopped, what happens in the cyber-world of gaming is of absolutely no interest to people having serious life problems in the real world.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2014