1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MPAA gets caught laying torrent traps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 12 Jan 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I feel like saying "Dastardly!"

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

In which case.. They can't sue you for downloading or uploading anything illegal if they are just sending you random/fake data and not actually anything illegal?

4. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

Given their ability to do far out things like going after people who are deceased etc. surely nobody is surprised at the lengths they will go to including this.

Does something like Peer Guardian stop them from getting your IP address or are you stuffed as soon as you start downloading these fakes?

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ooh, sneaky!

I'm also wondering the same thing..?

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The good news is that this technique, which they have no doubt spent millions in settlement money on, isn't going to work much longer. An automated blacklist will no doubt be available very soon and then, well, the MPAA will come up with somthing else. Still, a win for the pirates :thumb:

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Interesting tatic

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

To be honest, I don't like the MPAA/RIAA or those who download content illegaly anyway so neither of them have my sympathy whatever happens to this.

<A88>

9. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

The crazy thing, is that all the files marked with an X, still have hundreds, and thousands of seeds/leeches.

10. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Well the act of downloading a file called <insert movie here>.avi isn't illegal.... sooo, why do they waste their time doing this?

11. orb

orb satisfying.

PeerGuardian doesn't protect you, all it does is give you a false sense of security

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

predictable.... i thought they were doing this a long time now......

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

732 million IP addresses blocked. I think it provides a measure of protection.

14. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I don't download content. If i want something, I pay for it and give the developer what I think they deserve. I'm with <A88> on this whole thing.

15. topher

topher SHam!

They can suck my balls

16. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I think its funny how they made fake torrents for the prison break episodes, as tv shows im pretty sure are free to be downloaded. I was pretty sure anything played on tv, if taped, was free to be distributed

On a side not, im pretty sure hobbes in Da Dego's avatar was what the **AA looked like when they did this :D

17. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

noooo^ not the case.

I thought they had been doing this since the kazaa days etc.

Even if they arn't trying to catch people they are frustrating them into not getting what they are after, without a lot of hassel and therefore just going legit.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

People making movies get plenty already, all you here is "this movie made 38 million at the box office today" so some downloading from someone who's already bought the DVD isn't that bad. To me, sharing like bit torrent is just the same as someone who owns a real copy on DVD and loan it to a friend to watch/have others over to watch together.

19. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

Mhmm.

Buy a DVD. Up a torrent. And 10,000 people can easily snatch it. Some of which can re-up it at a later date to even more people.

That's exactly like letting your 2 or 3 best buds "borrow" it (which, of course, means they'll watch it and it'll disappear in to a mysterious black hole), right? ;)

Not much sympathy for either side from me, like someone else said earlier. :\

Not that I'm entirely innocent either, though I've got a ton better over the last couple years. All I do now is download a few TV shows, many of which like Rome I already paid for in the form of my subscription (hbo -- premium channel, no commercials, same with even HD BSG reruns on HD channels).

I've actually got more legal copies of XP than I have functional computers. :(

20. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Good for them though. Honestly, like their torrent poisoning has slowed piracy in the slightest with all their other equally asinine tactics.

Tags: Add Tags