1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MPs seek DRIP Act repeal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Jun 2015.

1. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Nexxo..."not an innocent guy?"......it saddens me that you made the distinction (as the officer that shot him did).

He has previous!.... lets kill him and ask questions later?

He was unarmed when shot dead, the weapon was thrown in the grass before the officer executed him?

Maybe you need to upsticks and move to the USA, they would love your attitude there.
    Hell you could be a sergeant state trooper with that logic.

What a tool.

2. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I dont think anyone is suggesting Duggan deserved to die. But he was expected to be carrying a gun. He was carrying a gun. Generally that means to expect the worse.

We aren't talking about an innocent member of the general public being shot and killed. But back on track - it does cross my mind that the few cities under attack by people wanting free stuff would put any government in an impossible situation. The governments need internet kill switches , and filters to stop the spread of a future looting disease spreading. Oh, and to read Corky's emails and internet browsing habits.

Corky when you suggest it'll be organised by another way next time, do you mean like mime? Snail mail?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was thinking more along the lines of signal fires being lit from the roofs of the tallest houses.

Seriously though the only way to prevent the spread of a future looting disease, if there's such a phenomenon, would be to pull the plug on UK wide internet services.

You only have to look at the copyright organisations to see how efforts to block and filter content has failed, despite all the restrictions they've placed on content over the years, people find ways to circumvent those blocks and filters.

And my emails and internet browsing habits have probably already got me added to some watch list.
    Hello Mr NSA/GCHQ Spook. :worried:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OK, so what was he doing with a gun? What was he planning to do with it?

You can argue that at the moment of his shooting he was unarmed, but he did kind of put himself in a compromising position. He had previous form with the police, a history of violence and he was in possession of a gun, which presumably he was not intending to use as a paperweight. The armed response unit meanwhile all have wives and children and would very much not like to die on the job, please, nor be held accountable for any deaths of innocent bystanders caught in a crossfire.

Just because the police are responsible for shooting him, does not mean Mark Duggan was not responsible for getting himself shot.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015
  5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Mark Duggan was a dangerous criminal, well known to police. He had been convicted of drug possession, and handling stolen goods and had been arrested multiple times for crimes up to and including murder. He was associated with criminals, who sold him a gun, which he carried on the streets where I live. He was under investigation by the police running Trident – an operation with the explicit mandate to tackle gun crime.

If you want to play gangster and carry a gun, then you leave those that are tasked with protecting the public, with no choice but to also carry a gun.

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Can i just point out a few things.
    I make no excuse for Duggan, you cannot expect to carry, use or conceal a firearm without the gravest consequences being brought to bear.

I have no forlorn love of gangster life and the very thought of it makes me gag.

I am not a criminal, law breaking type myself, i am a peaceful and passive man, even though i can vent here very profusely. lol.

The facts which appear to be overlooked are thus:

HE WAS FOLLOWING THE FIREARMS OFFICER'S VERBAL ORDERS AND COMPLYING WITH HIS DEMAND TO DISARM AND SHOW HIS HANDS.

He was not gesturing violence with a weapon or appearing to be a weapon threat to the armed officer.

He was shot from close range at centre mass, this is the shot that the firearms expert knew would result in probable death.
    It was a botched stop and search with horrific consequences, even given the fact he was in possession of a firearm, i cannot help but think it was an over zealous takedown.
    I respect the officer was trying to protect himself and the public, but in my opinion he approached Mr Duggan with nothing more evident than a shoot to kill policy.

Maybe the police have changed their stance on firearms incidents?...it certainly appears that way
    I agree for the officers safety a lethal shot should be used a last resort, but it did not appear to be this far progressed when you look at the collective evidence.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.

If i thought life was in danger or he was not following my explicit orders and the risk was impending i would have killed him myself. But by all accounts he was (albeit reluctantly and sarcastically) doing what he was told.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

According to the cab driver he got out of the car and ran, and was shot while running away. The pathologist could not draw a definite conclusion. In the end, no one knows exactly what happened.

The point (and I do have one) is: there was a reason why the police was trigger happy on his ass. I think you are overlooking a pertinent fact: someone is still alive today because Mark Duggan did not get the chance to use the gun he was carrying that day, on his way to see someone.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015