1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other MS Access, TVs and Networks...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 30 Oct 2013.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Good afternoon bit-techers!

I'm after a bit of advice or suggestions on a dilema i have at work.

We've generated a simple MS Access database to display some KPIs and performance data, but our director wants to display it on TVs across our factory.

How would you all do this? The back end if stored on site wide networked drive, and getting access to the network isn't a problem. SOOOooooOo, could i link a smart tv up to the network? or would i need a small PC attached to a TV or something completely different!?!?!?!

As always, i thank you in advance and offer +10 reps for the best suggestion (it's been a while since i've been on the forum, are rep points still up for grabs.....?)

Rich

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Easiest way would be a bunch of of RPi boxes that are connected to the network to pull data from the database, and connect to the TVs with HDMI.
    You could display the data using a webpage - I don't know whether you have a webserver in the company, but it should be quite easy to knock together a basic page that displays pertinent information in an easy-to-read format and refreshes every x minutes.

I think your main problem is going to be the Access database - I don't know how easy that is to access from other programs (i.e. the webserver).

3. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Great idea! Think we have a couple of webservers, but looking to upscale to SQL anyway.... think it's much more possible to do this with Access 2010 through a webpage, but in the interim, could look at installing access on the RPi with a simply front end?

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You can't run Access on a Raspberry Pi, as they won't run Windows. I don't think you'd want to run a database on them anyway - not enough oomph. Best to keep the database on a server, and just use the Pis to display the information.

5. jopers1986

jopers1986 Member

Ah yes good point, all the data is on a server, i'll either need to learn... or find someone who can make a website with a data source...! Also discovered we have a soecific engineering network which runs some TVs through in the office block... might be able to tap into that!