1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS Exchange

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by corvette, 11 Jul 2007.

1. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

Ok guys i need help setting up my Exchange server to gain access from external people, Now i have got an external DNS and a Domain name registered, can sombody please help me im having so much troubles its not funny

2. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

What are you trying to achieve exactly? Outlook Web Access?

3. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

MS Exchange is really not for the faint hearted. I would STRONGLY suggest you try hmail first, personally I find it much faster and easier to use than exchange, as exchange is for HUGE (and I mean HUGE) network setups with backup servers and all sorts. Also it hogs memory, don't even bother installing it if you don't have at least 1gb ram in your server.

To setup an email server you first need to do the following:

You need to register your MX records with your domain provider (set mail.yourdomain.com as an MX record and point it to the server's external IP address), then forward port 25 (SMTP to receive/send mail), 143 (IMAP) and 110 (POP3) through your router to the machine.

Then you can go about adding your domains and email accounts, with hmail its pretty straight forward. With exchange, not so much.

4. corvette

You also forgot Port 59 for exchange

i manage an exchange server and i no what im doing but im having troubles with the DNS and Domain

5. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I was talking about email servers in general.

Anyway, whats the problem? You didn't go into much detail!

6. corvette

Ok

Well i have setup and installed Exchange 2003 On small business server for my company, im trying to setup the DNS and Domain, i have an external DNS service that has come with the domain but when ever i point it to the server nothing happens, and i cant send emails to the server internally works fine, externally doesnt work at all. so im just wondering if im doing something wrong or if sombody could maybe step by step me through the DNS configuration on the server again to make sure i havent screwed up somewhere down the track.

EDIT: Also want to enable the Webmail access as well

7. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Whats the domain? I can run some checks on it from here.

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

did you remember to point the MX record for your domain at the server?

9. corvette

the Domain is

www.bruntontt.com.au

i have put the settings back to point to the Domain company just so ive got it pointing somewhere

10. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Ok, set the domain up how you think it should be set up and I'll tell you where you've gone wrong if you have :)

11. corvette

i think im getting confused with the DNS entries because its an external DNS how do i get that to say that the domain points to that IP

12. corvette

ok now i have 100% worked out what the issue is does anybody no how to configure a Cisco 857W router, the issue is simple now if you goto www.brunontt.com.au it works, if i goto that site within the factory connected through the router i cant see it.

Can you guys help me with this, also my mail server failed today so im rebuilding this but i want to make sure that some 1 can help me port forward the ports correctly on the router

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

corvette pastebin your running config -- ill take a look at it.

telnet/ssh into the router, log in,type enable, enter enable pass, type "show running config" (no " ") and paste it somewhere

14. corvette

its ok i got rid of the router so that it can support more features like vlans

the only problem im having now is IIS doesnt seem to be forwarding out

anyideas and the ports are open i can garentee that

15. ocha

ocha Minimodder

how do you mean IIS isn't forwarding you? Is this anything other than port 80?

Multiple sites on one box? or is this still OWA for exchange?

Tags: