1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: "Wii is novelty console"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2008.

1. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I blame shovelware. All that mini-game crap has built up a "party only console" rep for the Wii pretty quickly. And how about Nintendo make some new stuff for a change? I love Zelda and SSBB as much as the next guy but come on... it's time for a new franchise already. Bring back Pikmin or something at least, the latest Mario Kart is definately showing its age now (yeah I know, it's probably never gonna happen :rolleyes:).

2. rollo

rollo Modder

exactly nexx

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I went the Wii360 route so I guess this guy's got a point, although MS has been saying they're not directly competing for a while now. There are a small handful of single player games out worth buying for the Wii but it is essentially a 'get-together' console. The 360 on the other hand seems to focus more on the online Live multiplayer than the party-style stuff, so even there they're catering for different scenarios.

4. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Hmm, it would be interesting to see stats on how many Wii's were sold a short while after they were purchased compared to to how many people got "bored" of a 360...

Yes, the 360's have the RRoD issue but for those unlucky persons (me included) I simply had it fixed free of charge. I didn't "sell" my 360 shortly after buying it, like I did my Wii when I realised it was indeed for a lower age group/party/novelty crowd and not what one would normally say are "proper gamers" (don't bother replying to that statement, Timmy, we've had this discussion before ;) )

EDIT: and for the record, I don't hate the Wii -- I merely think of it as a "casual gamer's" machine. Because it's "outselling" the 360 doesn't mean Nint are "kicking M$'s" @rse or that M$ are failing in comparison. The two machines are for two different playing groups and as such being marketed accordingly.

6. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Guns, over the top macho characters, heavy on story, etc2 are the norm nowadays. But saying as if conventional games are of higher standard than what is on offer on the Wii is absurd. "graduating" to Xbox360. Gimme a break.

Sure you get less violent single player games and more colourful party games on Wii. I'm not gonna say anything that hasn't been said before. With Wii, you get different kinds of games, and at that, there is no competition. Seriously. As a party game, what is there to compete with Brawl? If Galaxy is an overrated game, then I do not know what is not. I have yet to see any developer to come up with a platformer that is even 2/3 as good.

If you only care about shooters(online/offline), RPGs, and story driven movie/game, why bother even thinking about Wii? If you bought it somehow, you bought a wrong console to begin with. Blame yourself for not doing enough research before your purchase instead of going on endless Wii-bashing.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Wii being primarily a party console.

lolz itz nt 4 serius gamrz prty gaemz suk coz i hav no frendz

8. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Thats funny microsoft, because a 360 is the only new console i dont have..... i wonder what that is? :hehe:

9. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Different consoles aimed at different markets. Why are we even having this conversation if we are agreeing that the Wii is for casual gamers?

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Andy

10. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Because, MS is wanting into the casual market.....and they are failing miserably....

11. Major

Major Guest

LOOK OUT 360 FANBOI ATTACK!!!

12. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Like him or not, he has a point. The Wii is a gimmick, I bought one for my 6 year old daughter.

13. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

i don't own any of these new consoles, however having played both the 360 and the Wii, if I was going to get a new console it would definitely be a Wii. Hands. Down. .. Can't wait for The Force Unleashed!

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Sure, it's aimed at the casual "get together" market. On the other hand, there are a LOT more people who play casual games or like to have them at parties then there are serious gamers.

15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Wii is a console for people with friends. 360 Is a console for anti-social bats.

ok I just said that for the kicks...

What about letting go of your consoles and go out "confraternizing", socialize?

16. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I agree with him. People will see the light eventually :)

17. kempez

kempez modding again!

I agree with him in a way, the Wii is a shorter term console for most people, me included. The other two are both much longer term and for me the PS3 seems the longest term out of them all.

What he doesn't mention is that Ninty make money on every console, whereas MS were (are?? not sure) making a loss and Sony still are. When numbers come into it the Wii urinates on the two more 'hardcore' consoles

18. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Wasn't everyone already aware of everything this man has said?

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I have a wii and I must say it would be doing so much better if the games didnt suck so much, all the third party games are horrible, the only decent ones seem to come from Nintendo and even then its so so. ~_~

20. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Funny, buying a 360 never crossed my mind...... guess I need to graduate. Honestly though, is this shocking to anyone that a guy from ms would say this? Now if someone from ninty had said it, then maybe a little controversial. But seeing who the source is, who really cares?

Tags: Add Tags