1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: "Wii is novelty console"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2008.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

Meh,

Call it what you will, but lets look at the facts.

I've owned every Nintendo console since the SNES, currently I still own my Gamecube and Wii. I've owned almost every Gameboy, right up to the Gameboy Advance. Then there's the many, MANY games for each console that I've spent hours on end playing, dare I say days, weeks... pushing months perhaps?

What's the last Microsoft game I played? Err, Flightsim 95'? I flew from Sydney to QLD in a Cessna or something and it took 3 hours. I never, ever played the game again. Note: I've never actually pirated a single Nintendo title for any of their consoles... Nintendo and its developers have scored a few grand out of me over the years. :)

NOW, back to Guitar Hero III!!!

2. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

so its a fad that's been going for almost 2 years...
    isn't a fad something that goes arround for a few weeks or at best a few months? :p

3. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Of course Nintendo's competition will bad mouth them. While I do not own a Wii, my girlfriend can't live without her DS Lite. I think if the games mature a little more with the Wii, there will be more converts. I heard rumours once of a Star Wars Jedi type game where the Wiimote fits into a faux lightsaber, is that still upcoming? If so, more may join the "dark side" of Nintendo and purchase a Wii.

4. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

The Force Unleashed. Looks fairly exciting. But somehow doesn't get me even half as excited as I was for Rogue Leader.

I'm happy enough that Nintendo churns out the type of games they do now. The rest is up to third parties. On the console arena, only three franchises matter to me anyway, Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear. The rest I can get my fix on PC.

5. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I always get confused when people list Nintendo making money on each Wii sold as a plus for that platform, hooray they're overcharging! Besides, the money that MS makes from the Xbox division has always come from software sales and if we're speaking in terms of numbers urinating on numbers have you ever seen the 360's attachment rate in comparison to the other platforms?

Meh, all that aside its just a clear-cut case of different strokes for different folks. The PS3 and the 360 target a similar audience but the Wii is in a completely different niche altogether. Also, since when has "my company's product is better than my competitor's product" really turned in to news? At least Asus vs. Gigabyte had some hot lawsuit action.

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I said that when it came out everyone said it was a revolution.....

7. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

Twilight Princess???

but seriously I have a PC why would I want another (louder / hotter / uglier) one under my TV...

well that is a little unfair, but in my view I will never own an xbox purely because of the online community of stoned squeeky rude kids. Can anyone that has played Halo honestly tell me they have ever had an evening of playing online without meeting a bunch of complete gits?

8. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

I agree. It's great when I have friends round and we are all pissed. But if I want to do some serious gaming (with or without sober friends) it's certainly not my first choice of platform.

9. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

That's also more than a little unfair, with a population the size of Live's community there's bound to be retards running around mouthing off but it's not like that is anything exclusive to Live. Have you met The Internet? It's full of exactly those types of people. Everywhere. Here at Bit-tech there's an anomalous level of helpful and polite people but if you ever get bored enough and want to feel just that much more annoyed at human stupidity, go troll through some forums. The level of stupidity will most likely shock you.

And I can very, very, very honestly tell you that I've had evening's of Halo without meeting a 'bunch of complete gits' (whats a git? sounds like a grit or a nit or something). It's amazing how easy it is to ignore people on Live that would get on your nerves, especially in a game like Halo where the developer realized that there's a need sometimes to shut up the "gits" where it takes all of three button presses to mute them in the pre-game lobby and maybe four button presses to mute them in game. Also you can set your profile to mute everyone who isn't your friend by default, an option takes all of two seconds to set on xbox.com.

I can completely see your point about already having a PC and not wanting an Xbox for that reason, they do have similar target markets and as a result the games that come out are usually shared/ported around but avoiding it solely based on the supposed ignorance of the online community? That's pretty weak my friend.

10. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

hawky, PSN has them and Steam has them. I agree that not wanting one for that reason is pretty weak, but that's your loss.. But I will say that I have dealt with more on Live, but again there are more people playing on it and younger kids don't play PC as much anymore as once was....

11. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I beat it like 6 times on the gamecube and i still think its and awesome and diffrent game on the wii but it is still the same game i just like it because of its difficulty

12. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity hmmm.

Since when does a novelty sell almost half a million a month. M$ is just mad that Nintendo is selling more than them.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2008
  13. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

yeah just like ipod, see what i did there?

Tags: Add Tags