1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards MSI 870A-G54 user experience???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by penryn 2 hertz, 27 Apr 2011.

1. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

2. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Very good, does what it says on the tin? Fitted with AMD 955, Geforce 460 etc..

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Great board for the price.

It unlocked my 555BE to a Tri core CPU without any fuss and has plenty of bios control for overclocking etc.

Excellent on board features including SATA 6Gb/s and USB3.0 (2 ports) as well as a decent board layout.

The board has two physical x16 slots although the second one is only x4 electrical.

From a performance point of view I am seeing very good transfer rates when copying files (USB2.0 and SATA) and havn't had any stability issues.

I do understand that the MSI boards aren't brilliant at overclocking Phenom x6's due to the 4+1 phase power supply so that may be something to consider.

One major advantage is that MSI have confirmed that the board will handle the upcoming Bulldozer cpus with a simple bios update. You may not get any overclocking options doing this (I don't know) but at least you have an upgrade path.

4. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

i have the same ram as you to 4GB OCZ Spec Ops 1600MHz DDR3 but im running a phenom ii x3 720 be and an overcloked gts 450 1gb hope to get my new board in the next few days

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Sweet!

You should be fine and you might be able to unlock that Phenom cpu.

The RAM should be fine either at the full 1600MT/s or 1333MT/s and tight timings (you will need to boost the voltage a tad as the ram is rated at 1.6v IIRC.