1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI Click BIOS - Evaluating UEFI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 11 Jan 2009.

1. Flexible_Lorry

Flexible_Lorry What's a Dremel?

Hmm
    More options per page is probably nice.
    Ability to use mouse is probably nice.
    More colours are probably unnecessary.
    Flashy wallpapers are definitely silly.
    Games are definitely silly.

And good descriptions would be nice.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I rather have the "USB-stick in USB port cause 'no operating system found' when powering up pc" fixed.

3. tuaamin13

tuaamin13 What's a Dremel?

That makes sense. I've just never heard of or seen mouse support in a BIOS until recently. I read the original article on EFI here about a year ago and didn't think anything of it until I saw this and how they're marketing it as a Click BIOS.

Thanks for the short explanation. I haven't gotten to that in school, though this semester I'm taking a course on computers (logic gates > assembly > basic C). Perhaps we'll cover some of the stuff you mentioned

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I had a 386 which featured a mouse-driven BIOS. The windowed GUI even allowed you to perform a basic virus scan on FAT volumes and low-level format the drive.

5. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I'm looking forward to being able to export all my bios settings as a text file on a flash disk. This will save so much time when discussing/comparing OC settings on a forum.

6. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Yes, they had some BIOS versions with mouse support many years ago, but it got canned. Think it took up too much space that they later used for things like USB support. Also not really needed.

Macs use EFI while PCs use UEFI. there's a differerence. I think they put on Universal to denote that it's a universal standard.
    And you knew they would add the games. Don't kid yourself. It comes as no surprise. Asian companies and especially MSI always do stuff like this.

If you can forget about the games thing you need to understand that UEFI has lots more potential than what you see here now. It is truly needed to get the PC platform a step ahead.

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Are you saying USB support is not needed?

8. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

You can kind of do that with UEFI now assuming you can boot to the EFI shell:
    dmpstore * > fs0:\vars.txt

Typically though, all the settings you can change in the setup screens are stored in one big data lump based on a C data structure. It should be handy for OEMs when more ship boards with UEFI, and it has been helpful for some of the work I do. If they keep this system in the future and UEFI is common, OEMs will disclose at least some of what is in the structure for things like tech support.

Tags: Add Tags