1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr OC 2GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 4 Jul 2013.

1. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

8 pin power connectors? Dang! Looks like I'll be shopping for a new PSU the next time I do a significant GPU upgrade.

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

I'm not talking about factory overclocks, I'm talking about the manual over clocks that they apply during testing; there is not a graph a show the performance of the card on test vs similar cards, both in an ( manually ) overclocked state. Overclocked vs stock & stock vs overclocked is not a fair comparison, simples...

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

I don't understand your point SuicideNeil. As I understand it the Games tests are with the card at it's off the shelf clocks and is against other cards at their stock performance. The manual overclocks are only tested on the 'overclocking' page. If you are looking for a stock GTX760 test then there is a completely different review using a 'vanilla' card from nVidia tested at stock speeds, but this is a review of what you can get off the shelf from manufacturers that pre overclock and use custom coolers and then has a look at what you may be able to get with a manual overclock on top.

4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

Are you having trouble reading lately, would you like me to use puppets & crayons to get my point across? I can't make my point any clearer...

I am aware which page the over clocked and stock tests are, thankyou, but you need to look at those tests again and you will hopefully see my point; the 760 is manually overclocked and compared to stock speed cards; this is not a fair test. You cannot test a manually overclocked card against a stock one and declare the overclocked one to be better, that is not a fair test. At not point do they test the card on test ( 760 ) against the others, with all of them in an overclocked state- they only test the manually overclocked 760 against stock speed cards ( and also all the cards at stock speeds- which is fair ).

As I already said, twice, I'm not talking about the 760 being overclocked from the factory- that is totally irrelevant & also considered to be stock speed for the purpose of the tests ( since that is how fast it is normally without any manual overclock applied ).

What I would like to see ( besides fuller test results and comparisons ) is the 670 & 760 compared in stock ( which they did ) & manually overclocked ( which they didn't ) states for a fairer comparison of results. They declared the 760 to be better than the 670 based on how much faster the 760 is when overclocked- that is not a fair conclusion, though the 760 is somewhat cheaper than a 670 at present, but that is not the full story...

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

No need to be insulting. I still disagree. So you want them to manually overclock the MSI GTX760 and then compare it to a manually overclocked GTX670 or GTX770? What would that tell you? That the GTX670 and the GTX770 cards are faster? Of course they are so you learn nothing. By comparing the manually overclocked GTX760 to stock cards you can gain an impression of the increase in performance, relevant to higher end cards. It would mean a lot if even a manually overclocked card would still not match the performance of the higher end cards.
    Many people buy these pre overclocked cards and make the assumption that the slight increases are all that the card has to offer. BT is merely pointing out that should you be inclined to manually overclock then you can gain massive performance benefits relative to higher end cards that cost far more. If all you are after is the data of how higher end cards perform in a manually overclocked state then that info is included in their own reviews. I find that there is all the information that I need here and it answers questions that I would have that your test of the GTX760, GTX670 and the GTX770 all with manual overclocks simply would not.

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

False. Yes, I know & most other people know that the 670 is faster stock and most likely overclocked too, but by how much is the question- that question really does matter when making bold 'X is better value than Y' statements like the article was.

I also know the overclocked results of all the previously tested cards are in their respective reviews- why then bit-tech didn't bother to include just a few of these overclocked results with each new review is beyond me- laziness perhaps, a massive oversight, or an attempt to mislead so they can draw unfair conclusions? Who knows...

The rest of your post irrelevant as you seem to have strayed away from the point again- anyone who doesn't know that you can manually overclock any gfx card ( software permitting ) probably isn't likely to know the difference between their backside & elbow....

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Member

Replacing a previous top end card with a £200 mid range card? That's not a like for like comparison, so I don't understand your logic in making the statement above.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a £325 GTX770 as a cost comparative performer in todays market versus the GTX580 - which is a 40% speed boost in most things.

I am not saying don't wait for the AMD card, just be more fair in your comparisons, if your budget is lower than it was when you purchased the 580 then say so - but don't expect a £200 GPU to overpower a 2yr old top end card.

8. caution

caution New Member

What an excellent card and what a killer value.

But a nice plain backplate wouldn't hurt anyone, would it? I know there's nothing major to cool back there, but still.

9. mrbens

mrbens New Member

Yes, I've always thought that would be a good idea too. It's no good saying OCd it out performs the 670 when if you overclock the 670 you're just right back where you started!

Hoping to grab this card at the weekend unless I can get a good deal on the Asus DirectCU II 670 (fingers crossed).

10. shedowstep

shedowstep New Member

When I tried to set my overclock to the same settings as you have, it crashed my gpu.

My specs are
    i5 4670K: 3.4GHz
    MSI Z78 G45
    8GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    MSI GTX 760 OC
    Corsair RM1000 1000W

Would love some help as I have currently set the clocksettings to:
    Core Voltage: +12
    Power Limit: 120
    Core Clock: +120
    Memory Cloick +400

11. Byron C

Byron C *psst!* This guy is a loser!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I found this review while searching for information about overclocking this card.

I can't get anywhere near the levels that this review did. At the moment I've managed to get a stable OC with these settings:

Core Voltage: +12
    Power Limit: 120 (prioritise Temp Limit)
    Core Clock: +75
    Memory Clock: +650

I can't get the core clock any higher, not even if I drop my memory overclock. I don't like the overvoltage being right up at 12, so I may dial this back a little. Still, it's given a boost to some of the more intensive stuff I run (GTAIV & heavily modded Skyrim with ENB presets) so I'll take that.

Tags: Add Tags