1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster MSI GF4 4800SE is as hard as my head

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MadSkunkBurner, 11 Apr 2003.

1. MadSkunkBurner

MadSkunkBurner What's a Dremel?

This thread may not really class as a disaster mod - but things always seem to go pretty smoothly on the moddin front for me.

But I came as close I think as possible and I had to tell somebody, somewhere' what happened:D

My CPU temp was running a bit high so I thought I would get a better heatsink. I went and bought, even though the weight of them scared me a little, a TT Volcano 11.

Got home installed it fine - no problems.

Or so I thought. :hehe:

I finally finished messing about at around 2am (I am on late shift this week so late nights a must) and left my machine on. About 5 mins after I turned out the light I heard this hollow *thump*.

Jumped out of bed quick as you like and ripped the side panel off my case. Sure enough - the clip had slipped off and the whole damn thing crashed down on my graphics card.

When I brought this card I got it at a very good price but it was nothing on the Radeon I really wanted. Fair play to the MSI crew though - the massive heatsink that goes all the way round the card took the impact very nicely. Nice work fellas!:clap: :clap: :clap:

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Did your CPU fry without a heatsink on?

3. MadSkunkBurner

Nope - as soon as I heard the *thud* I was out of bed and pulling out the power lead within about 4 seconds I reckon;)

No probs since then either so it loks like that heatsink saved the day. :)

4. dhutch

dhutch Banned

woh u didnt fry ur cpu !!!!! wow and wow agin and wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wowand:eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

and sorry for all the wow's but WOW

5. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

How lucky ?! :eeek:

6. Giggz

Giggz Minimodder

Very lucky lol

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

My computer turns off if the CPU gets too hot. The first time I turned it on I had installed the heatsink incorrectly so that only half of the pad was touching the core. Still when I turned it on it only took 4 seconds to turn itself off again so the fact that yours lasted more than four seconds without any heatsink at all is very lucky indeed. And I always wondered what would happen to a graphics card if a heavy heatsink fell on it.

8. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

wait, so give us the score,

Survivors:
    Mobo & cpu.

dead: Graphics card?

9. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Dead: Nothing :D

The graphics card apparently has a heatsink on both sides of the card (though never seen this on a stock card) which must have protected the circuitry.

10. MadSkunkBurner

dead: nothing is about right!

The heatsink wrapped right the way the back ofthe card creating a heatsink/bulletproof shield :)

So no casualities on this occasion whatsoever!

Accept my broadband connection but thats another story altogether - hence the 2 month delay in my response to the last post;)

11. Melov

Melov What's a Dremel?

Lmao. That's great. :eeek:

12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Was it a P4 or an AMD?
    You are ertremely lucky if it was an AMD, they I've heard that they would probably be fried before the heatsink hit the graphics card. (OK, maybe not that fast)

13. Gotero

Gotero What's a Dremel?

P4's create heat alot faster than AMD's. the P4 3.2 is unbeatable for heat, followed closely by the 3.06 and then the barton 3200.

14. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

i switched a 1ghz Tb on for about 4+secs with no heatsink realised, switched it off and it was fine.

15. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

I had set up a T-bird on a development board. Powered it on to see what speed it came up as forgetting the heat sink. 500Mhz.... *looks at die staring up at me* oh ****!!! Turned it off put the heat sink on and it worked fine after that. Good thing the bios was set to do the minimum speed and voltage other wise I would have a crispy Athlon.

16. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

the top P4s may be worst for heat than athlons but the p4s have a core slowdown which has a very fast polling rate to make sure that the core doesnt overheat. that althlons take a bit longer to figure out that the core is overheating and sometimes they dont shut down in time

17. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

Maybe we need a poll or something for how long a CPU's stayed working with no heatsink. I got a P3 933MHz for 5 minutes from cold boot, no heatsink, and it worked just fine after that.

18. Miniboxmaster

Miniboxmaster What's a Dremel?

thats nothing

when we were kid we had a pentium 150 and we didnt know what the hell we were doing it was clocked to 300 with no fan peeeeeeeeu man it buckled the heatsink and blew a bit out off the pu

My bro didnt know y itr keep locking up (himmmm wonder y)

19. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

This is strangly similar to somthing that happened to me. I had a windowed harddrive on top of my cd drives, and I thought it would be nice to tape it down until I got a drive cage (you know, showing it off through the top window.) Well that sucker came off too, but unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. Oh well, I was wanting a new video card and motherboard anyways:D

20. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

My 16mhz intel wasn't burn whitout heatsink... it wasn't even hot :D