1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster MSI GF4 4800SE is as hard as my head

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MadSkunkBurner, 11 Apr 2003.

1. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

yeah, those 286s and 386s weren't exactly the heating elements they are now.......

2. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

although its not a video card. I had a game boy that I dropped about 10 times from atleast 3 feet and all the time it landed on hard ground. It worked fine until the last drop, then the sound went out on the little speaker, but since i listen trought headphones it didn't matter. And for tough my Thermal Take Xaser II is ultra. Was hanging my cork board above my computer and dropped the hammer on my case. No scratches or dents. This case is so hard core im thinking when I get a new one, I will see if a .45 can penetrate it. :naughty: :naughty:

3. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

I want pics of that. If a .45 doesn't work, try a .50 Armor piercing round, but that'll go through 4 inches of armor steel so .....

4. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

I toasted a 1.0 athlon.. it only took about 4 seconds and smoke was coming off the chip. Forgot the heatsink was off when I was testing a hard drive.

Other funny story.. well to me at least..
    I worked in a lab with lots of systems under test, I had left one on and someone picked up the heatsink to use on something else. So the CPU got REALLY hot, but not enough to smoke or burn. Some marketing guys were cutting through the lab on the way to lunch and one of them reached out and put his thumb on the chip. 'To see if it was hot' I guess.. Hehe, he jerked back pretty quick, that was when I noticed what he had done, and I could see a nice square white mark on his thumb.. OWIE... I say 'oh sh17! was that on??' and power it off. Later I pulled the CPU since it was surely dead and noticed most of the solder balls on the back of the BGA had melted.. thats over 500F!

That's one monkey who will never touch a bare chip on a board again!!

5. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

that is very untrue because p4's can last a bit with out the heatsink on and still live reaching like 105c or so but an amd will get to 400c with in seconds there is a movie showing them doing it but i dont have a link sorry

thoes temps are degrease celcius

6. Captain_Tal

Captain_Tal What's a Dremel?

I shorted out my mobo(K7N2) and my Extasy geforce 4 4600, but my cpu has lived through two computers now AMD 2200+, clocks at about 2000mhz.

My mobo shorted out due to a bad mistake by me, I might write it up later, if you guys want.

It was the most depressining day of my modding life.

7. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

The Thing is the P4 and PIII have thermal managment. A PIII will lockup and will not fry. and A P4 will throttle down as low as it needs to. Wheras an AMD doesent so it keeps on heating up, and eventually the silicon evaporates. However a P4 generates a lot more heat than an Athlon, and if it didnt have thermal managment it woulf fry in about the same timeframe as an AMD.

8. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

That is true i just saw the movie and it was of PIII's and they didnt freeze up as fast as the amd's, the amd's froze almost instantly

9. Carbon

Carbon Banned

where i used to work we had installed windows 98 on a p200 with no heat sink, oddly it took over 4 hours to install :D !

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

strange that! would take 2 hours an old one WITH a heatsink!

11. lant

lant What's a Dremel?

I have the same sort of card:

Leadtek Geforce4 Ti4200, has a massive heatsink wrapped around the card and a nice fan to go with it.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Oct 2003
  12. Carbon

Carbon Banned

lol @ the key being attatched to the removeable tray.. :hehe:

13. lant

lant What's a Dremel?

yeah, that's a mirrored raid controller (raid 1) was actually mirroring to a 120gb from a 60 that was in there.

Hence why the bar is like half full

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

That cooler is also used by leadtek on their g/cards.

15. lant

lant What's a Dremel?

hey wait, you just bolted my memory,

my old car was powercolor, this one is leadtek :D

i am such a newbie D:

thanks for shocking me back to reality mate :)

16. MechNelly

MechNelly What's a Dremel?

I'm a complete newbie on this forum so Hi :)
    I had a horrible experience with a brand new athlon chip/mobo, when I was feckin around with the hs/fan. I had (unknowingly) squished one of the leads from the fan underneath the heatsink, right on the cpu die. Suffice to say, just a couple of seconds after bootup, horrid burning plasic smell.
    Toll?
    1 dead CPU, 1 dead Motherboard
    I'll never do that again!

17. 486hawk

486hawk What's a Dremel?

I had a supervisor do that once... :hehe:

18. Sportbilly

Sportbilly What's a Dremel?

I once fired up a K7S5A with a 1700+ on it. A few (I estimate 5) minutes later I sniffed hot electronics, and realised that I'd completely forgotten to put the fan back on.

I slapped the fan back on there, and that CPU has run fine since.

Gotta love the concept of Thermal Mass esp. when applied to a Thermalright SK7... :D

19. Pistol

Pistol Guest

LOL awesome luck there...like me:

I had a new 1700+ on a soyo Dragon, I went to put the proc on the mobo and for some reason the heatsink snaps wouldnt quite reach. We (my cousin and I) put all out weight on a flathead screwdriver trying to get the other snap on...5 minutes and 350+ lbs later, the snap finally slipped on. We were sitting there staring at the mobo, thinking it couldnt have been that hard.

Meh. We booted it up, only to hear a nice beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. I reset the video card, checked all the connections, perused the installation guides, nothing. I told him "Dude, we gotta take off the heatsink," and he about died with laughter. 10 minutes and 350 lbs+ more weight later, the thing slips off.

It was here that I realized I didnt lift up the bar so the proc would sit in the socket. :wallbash:

Proc still worked...after having 350 lbs+ thrown on it. GG Athlon XPs, I guess.

20. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

yeah, heatsinks have a pretty good thermal capacity. With my Xeons back when I had 1U heatsinks, they'd last without fans for a whole 5 minutes. Remember, I had 1U heatsinks.

I long for the days of 286s when you could run them indefinitely w/o heatsinks. Their heatsinks were the size of a stamp!