1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GTX 670 Causeing PC Restarts

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by WhiteKnight226, 9 Aug 2013.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I posted a while back in hardware about this problem I have been having.

My MSI GTX 670 Power Edition causes my computer to instantly shut off and restart about 5 seconds later. There is no warning for it. The card does not over heat and it is not OC'd, everything stock! It only happens while gaming but not in every game. My PC will restart in game such as StarCraft 2, DOTA 2, and SimCity, however, BF3 (my most demanding game) has no issues.

It is an instant shut off, like if you pulled the power cord out and it starts back up in about 5 seconds.

I know it is the graphics cards because this problem only started with I installed the 670 back in January. I RMA'd 2 cards to MSI and this is my 3rd one. I RMA'd this one as well but was told there is nothing wrong with it after a CSA took special interest in my case. Replacing the card with my old MSI 6870 fixes the problem and I have no restarts!

I don't know what to do... Drivers and BIOS are up to date and the GPU and MoBo, and I used driver sweeper to delete anything AMD related from my old 6870. I don't know how to test if it's my MoBo or PSU causing the problem because the 6870 runs flawlessly when I install it.

Really need some help here! Thank you to all those who took the time to read this!

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

power supply issue?

3. WhiteKnight226

I've been told to check the PSU, but I question that because the 6870, which uses the same 2 6-plug ins, has no issues. The PC can also idle all day long if I let it.

An example from today. I played a game of SC2 which lasted 52 minutes, and I had no PC issues. I turn the PC off, come back a few hours later, start another SC2 game and my PC insta-shutdowns about 4 minutes in. And like I said because, more demanding games, such as BF3, cause no issues.

I'm trying to figure out what it may be before I am forced to either send it to a shop to get check out by a so called PC "expert" or have to buy another PSU just to test the theory.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have a look at your motherboard for bulging caps.

5. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

It does sound like a power supply or motherboard issue.

Can you try the card in a 2nd PC to see if it has the same issues?

Also try using older Nvidia drivers and make sure you fully clear out your old AMD/Nvidia drivers first.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I thought a similar thing happened to me but it was an odd power cut that came back on straight away because the stereo playing music in the living room went off.

I would say games use the hardware in different ways with overclocking one game can be fine for hours another can make it lock up straight away.

Is the cpu at stock?

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  7. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Are you using the new beta driver from NVidia 326.41 .It has some very bad bugs in it . NVidia are trying to fix them
    list of bad things
    Hard lock ups (this one is to do with 2D and 3D clock speeds)
    Hard resets
    Trd errors
    Blacks screens on boot up( this one is to do with the HDMI bug )

I am running gigabyte 460 on 326.41 beta driver and the hard lock ups problem just had to rollback my driver to the 320.18 so far pc seems to be stable

8. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Sounds like a power supply issue to me. Do you have another psu to test the system?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

9. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Just to help just because it is using two 6 pin plugs doesnt mean its using the same Amperage on the 12v+ Rail(s).

Check the amount of 12A you have (spread over x amount of rails) and compare that to the recommended your card and older card has. If its very close to the figure its a powersupply issue. If your GPU tops 95%~100% usage its usually using all the power it requires, if this borderlines your PSU then there is your problem :)

Check!

10. WhiteKnight226

How should I go about testing my PSU? I'm not an expert when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm just a guy who does his research on hardware when it comes times to build a PC, or upgrade.

And is the HX750 80+ silver edition more than enough power? Everything is stock settings in the PC, including the CPU.

Do I just buy another PSU and run the computer off that?

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

yes it's more than enough power

imo just pick up a decent power supply 500-700W from a place with a good return policy and give it a try.

12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would try a new install of the OS as well

13. WhiteKnight226

I might do this as well. I haven't fresh installed on this pc yet and I built it over 2 years ago.
    I'm going to try different cables and plugins on the psu before I buy another one to test that theory.
    Sent from Bittech Android app