1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G - No independent fan control?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bungletron, 22 Nov 2014.

1. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

Hi

I just got the MSI GTX 970 gaming 4g. It is very quiet and the fans go off on idle which is great but sadly it looks like the new twin frozr v cooling solution will be too tall for my new case (Carbide 240 Air), so I am looking into replacing it. I am interested in controlling the new solution from the card but this new card has a weird new 6-pin fan connection that I am trying to figure out.

The bit tech review says this is for independent fan control but I think this is wrong, I was not able to confirm this online.

Firstly I could not find the option to control fans independently in the msi utilities. Here is a photo I took of the connection:

[​IMG]

All the wires are doubled up to split except the green so the second connection is totally empty and totally unnecessary! Assuming the wire colours are standard blue=pwm control and this is doubled in the final connection, doesn't this mean both fans run at the same speed all the time? I guess the MSI GTX 980's must have independent fan control because its 6 pin connection has an extra pwm connection to that pin, there is clear picture of it in this review.

So I am hoping that if I replace the cooler I can get away with just using the 4 pins at the end to control the new cooler with one of these adapter cables. My fear is the extra green cable likely senses the 2nd fan speed, so if it is left open the card may throttle because it thinks the fan has failed. I am going to have try it anyway but any thoughts or insights are welcome and helpful :thumb: