1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks MSi GV72 7RE new m.2

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 27 Sep 2020.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi people
    My daughter has an msi GV72 7RE laptop thing is I'm replacing the 128gb m.2 drive for a 512 m.2 drive.... Thing is it has Windows 10 installed but no serial key underneath the laptop so how do i reinstall Windows onto the new drive.. Thank you

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I think on modern units the key is imbedded into the uefi or linked to it somehow so you don't need one. Wait for someone to confirm that first though.

numanoid likes this.
  3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thank you CrapBag appreciate that buddy

4. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

No idea about being stored in UEFI, but so long as your current Win10 install is linked to a Microsoft account you can reactivate once you're reinstalled, back online and signed into your MS account.

Choose install without serial when it asks (if it is stored in UEFI it might not even ask)

If it doesn't activate automatically, dive into settings > update > activation > click reactivate.

If it says can't be reactivated just go into the troubleshooting option on the same page then select 'I recently changed hardware', pick which device you've upgraded from a list (it'll list every win10 device linked to teh MS account) & it'll transfer the licence & activate.

I transferred mine at the weekend from what's in my sig to a new build. (was the free upgrade from win7 home - so i don't actually have a product key)

numanoid likes this.
  5. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thank you VictoriaBloke I appreciate that huge write up, I'll let you know how I get on, thank you matey.