1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI N480GTX Lightning Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Sep 2010.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I got it direct from MSI.

2. garrett_wu

garrett_wu New Member

If author looks closer on PWM chip and Driver IC spec, he will see the PWM is up6225 which is 12 Phase PWM chip, and advanced Driver IC is specially designed for pushing 2 phase with 1 chip. N480GTX Lightning GPU is 12 phase with no doubt. MSI will never use parallel connection power design on Lightning, and there is NO WAY to hit 1400MHz+ under extreme OC if MSI use parallel connection, MOSFET will simply blow up because of unbalanced loading.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hi Garret,

[​IMG]

Click for large

These six told me a different story on the back of the PCB, although if I'm wrong feel free to email or phone me and explain, then ill update the article. :thumb:

4. TWeaK

TWeaK New Member

I don't think the heatsink mount is a problem tbh. It looks to me like it's mounted to the backplate, which in turn has mounts spread all over the PCB. Looks like the load would be spread quite evenly.

Now, when are the benchies coming Bindi? :D

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not mounted to the backplate I'm afraid, they are just holes.

6. garrett_wu

garrett_wu New Member

The drive is up6282 (http://www.upi-semi.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?ArchID=86) , it's dual phase mosfet driver WITHOUT phase extension function, so you can think it's two traditional single phase MOSFETs packing into single chip. There are too many components on power design of lightning, using more expensive dual phase drive ic can reduce space.

7. AnonymousBasterd

AnonymousBasterd New Member

I Like the Idea of GTX 480 having like ASUS's Ares & Mars but I'm Worried about the (ONLY) 4 Screws Supporting the Whole Huge Chunk of Heatsink Scare's me also there's No Option for Power Efficiency when Overclocking is Undesired, If Only they'd Fix the 4 Screws Support along with the Optional Power Efficiency, Everything will be Perfect!

8. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

Wow another article about a Gtx 480. Everytime I read a Gtx 480 article I get a nice tan and a high electricity bill.

The Gtx 480 is a monster card but in today's world you gotta produce monster results without all the heat, noise, and nuclear reactor in your basement to power the thing.

GTx 460 sli is the way to go!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks! :clap: Unfortunately that letting on those tiny ICs is too small for me to see.

I will amend the article.

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Unfortunately the nvidia or ati drivers dont give anyone with any common sense the warrant to buy these over-engineered products.
    If this cost so much to make, why dont you plough that into your driver division? i.e. custom drivers = another competitive edge over other companies. i.e. msi vs asus for the 5870 etc.

This will probably be just as good as a standard 480gtx or a 5870. Therefore not worth the budget. Unless your a folding at home hoarder. This wont (shouldnt) appeal.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Partners never make drivers for graphics cards. Asus tried it once with the Mars afaik and it was terrible. EVGA is the only company that puts the time into SLI updates, but no one has access to the core of the drivers.

12. Universal_Lord

Universal_Lord New Member

My friend just gave a link that contains a review of this VGA card:

This card is really much faster than the standard GTX480!:thumb: But the price is also above the standard GTX480.:D

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

waiting on the 485... 1 month to go?

Tags: Add Tags