1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 12 Jan 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

2. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

£327 and no Wi-Fi...as Millhouse would say 'WHAT A RIP'
    Scandalous price for a motherboard no matter how good it may be.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Well-Known Member

So almost twice the price as the Gigabyte Aorus Z270X with worse performance.
    Pointless waste of a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere.
    Probably of use to about 6 people worldwide.

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

Yeah but it does look the best

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

I'll just quote this from the review of the Z170 equivalent:

(which btw these days costs closer to £260).

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Well not quite almost - assuming you mean the Gaming 7 we looked at recently - that's £240 vs £330 here. I think almost double is a bit unfair ;) The performance difference is marginal except in audio, but realistically most people won't be able to tell the difference there either.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Prices are what they I'm afraid and this is happening across the board (pun not intended). I'll also quote from that review 'However, just look at it. The Titanium Edition is quite simply gorgeous' You are paying extra for the PCB coating etc but then Asus' equivalents are around the same price. However, I do agree that the Z170 version, even at £260 is far better value right now. £200 doesn't even net you WiFi and things like power and reset buttons or a LED POST code display any more, which is rather depressing.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

The general trend for top end boards to become crazy expensive (exchange rates and other factors notwithstanding) is getting silly. Sure, there are going to be users for whom the best, flashiest or most feature-rich boards are necessary, but they have to be a tiny proportion of the market. The vast majority would be perfectly happy with a board costing a third of this price and offering 90% of the features.

It just seems like motherboard manufacturers are taking the piss a bit, but if people keep buying them... For me, though, diminishing returns kick in really hard above a fairly modest price point (and that goes for more components than just motherboards).

9. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Not only is it a tiny part of the market, but those people also have the entire X99 platform dedicated to them.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Indeed. I struggle to see why you'd shell out £350 for a Z270 board when you could just go X99 instead. Hell, you even get X99 mITX these days :)

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Member

Nobody wants WiFi on a desktop motherboard. They could include a USB dongle maybe, but on-board WIFi is silly and pointless - and no good due to antenna issues.
    It's not a portable system, on-board WiFi is for laptops and such and not for desktop.

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

+1 Onboard wi-fi in my PC would completely useless as it wouldn't be able to even find a signal.

Tags: Add Tags