1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSN Virtual Earth vs Google Maps

Discussion in 'General' started by Godboy_g, 25 Jul 2005.

1. Godboy_g

Godboy_g New Member

Just noticed that MSN Virtual Earth has gone live. It looks pretty similar to google maps, but has a few new/different features. It can use the scroll button on your mouse to zoom, and is supposed to be able to locate exactly where you are using an active x plugin.

The satelite view is unfortunately very lacking. There's no hi res coverage for Canada and the UK as far as I can see, and the images they do have are very out of date. I was able to find the world trade centres in NY, and they are still standing. In any case, I'll let you guys be the judge.

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Heh parts of the map won't load for me... but then again im supprised it worked at all in FireFox ;)

[​IMG]

3. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

In msn maps my house is in the high res area by about 100 or so feet. In google the low res area doesnt start until a couple miles in the same direction. Anyone else find it a bit spooky that there are no cars/people anywere in the msn maps? I went to the center of Cleveland (the closest major city) and its like a ghost town. :eeek: I like google maps alot, better quality and in color!

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think I prefer google maps, it seems to be easier to navigate and is clearer, where VE blurrs when you zoom in, then eventually corrects itself. VE also seems slower than GM. I seem to be having problems loading some of the images, sygate seems to be blocking something, not sure what yet!

5. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

Back with picture proof! And before you ask, That dirtbike track is great! Right behind my house used to me Rataiczak Airport. The guy that used to live in a house near to us flew planes so he turned a feild into an airport. Microsoft even thought enough of it to have it in Flight Sim 2000!(it might be in 2004 but i dont have it to know) So if you want to take off from behind my house, go right ahead! lol enough of my talking here are the pictures

MSN Maps:
    [​IMG]

Google Maps:
    [​IMG]

So as you can see, Google is clearly (no pun intended) better. (the google one looks so bad becuse I had to reduce its quality so photobucket would keep it at 640x480)

6. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I'm rather surprised at how small Memory Lane is! Heaven knows, we've all been down there once or twice.

7. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

8. c.cam108

c.cam108 Member

Seeeeeeeeeeeeriously slow. Takes at least twice as long to load as Google Maps. Plus this is the closest it would let me zoom in on my home.

[​IMG]

As the filename says, MSN Maps suxxors.

_C

9. tetleyex

tetleyex New Member

Someone posted this on one of the threads, i cant remember who it was, or which thread it was on, but I downloaded something from nasa...

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

It has a few more options, the photographic stuff for the UK is a bit bad, but it's ok for america in urban areas. You can do things like track hurricanes, and forest fires and the like.

Oh yea, and a lot of shallow people will like it as its open source.

10. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

:p :lol: Yeah its really small. That curve on to spring valley is really hard at anyting above 45mph. Speedlimts 35mph. Its fun at 60 when there is gravel in the road.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

With the freebie NASA World Wind linked above, the different satellite filters make some things, like rivers, clearer than Google Earth's view.

But it's no better definition for non-USA places, and some places worse than Google - eg, pyramids in Egypt are only lowish-res on the NASA map and their server's slower than Google's. :waah:

Get the placenames plugin, but don't expect street names. :miffed:

This plugin also looks useful: Google Maps to Worldwind for Firefox: This extension provides a toolbar button that will launch Worldwind and take you to your current Google Maps view. :D

Last edited: 25 Jul 2005
  12. tm36usa

tm36usa New Member

Just for some comparison, my county has a property search engine that has its own arial views. I can zoom in much farther than this but it tends to get grainy. I zoomed in my car and it looked like a black blob. Heres the picture:

[​IMG]

lamo on MicroShaft deleting apples HQ. Thats just funny.

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

go Firefox and google maps :D

14. guy

guy New Member

been using world wind for ages, personally find it much much better than all the rest.

15. severedhead

severedhead New Member

They're all rubbish in the UK though (or am I missing something?). You people that live in the US can see your car and everything, while I can barely find my entire road.

16. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe New Member

Yeah and we pay remarkably high taxes for homeland seecurity, military and science research... space exploration....etc. Which makes us be able to see a picture of our house how it looked 3 years ago.

And can someone who used both compare Google Earth and WorldWind. Thanks.

17. NuTech

NuTech Well-Known Member

I recently saw on BBCnews that someone had launched a fly-by maps service. It's only available for certain cities (they showed off NY) but it looks great. It's made by mapping satellite photos to geographical data. The graphics were basic but overall it was very impressive.

Just wondering if anyone else saw it and remembered the URL?

18. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

It is so slow, and aain why is everything empty, i couldn't even zoom inon my neighbo hood.

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Come on, you didn't expect it to show East Kilbride did you ? :D

20. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

They might have been referring to Google Earth, which is up for free download. It has 3D terrain data for pretty much the whole globe, and in select cities it has 3D buildings. It's very impressive.