1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Multi Monitors and Media Centre

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dullonien, 7 Jan 2008.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

I am currently running a triple monitor setup; 2x19" widescreens off of my 6800GS PCI-e + a 32" HDTV off my onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 1200.

The problems I'm experiencing are with Media Center 2005 displaying black on my HDTV. I can get around this by setting the TV as primary monitor, but this causes all sorts of problems (all windows opening on that screen, log-in displaying on no screen atall etc.)

Is there a way to get around this without having to change which monitor to use as primary every time I want to use Media Center.

The important system specs are as follows, if it helps:

Abit Fatal1ty F190HD mATX (with Radeon Xpress 1200 graphics)
    Gainward 6800GS 512MB Goes Like Hell.
    Windows XP MCE SP2.

Cheers in advance for any help.

2. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Just un-full-screen MCE (alt-enter) and drag it onto the TV... no?

I remember doing that at a friends place who had something similar. It's not ideal - MCE needs to keep focus to be useful, and if you go back to the primary monitor to do something it jumps out of full screen mode.

3. dullonien

Nope, it stays black even if it's not maxamized. An interesting thing is, if I open it on the TV when it's the primary monitor, then change the primary back to one of my 19" it continues to work fine until I restart Media Center.

I've found by pressing the windows button on the keyboard/alt-tab to another program you can use the other screens with Media Center still maxamized.

4. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Black or black and white?
    Sounds like the HDTV output might be switching to NTSC and not PAL (or visa versa) I know that if your using a PAL tv and use NTSC signal, the image will be in black and white, same if you use a PAL signal on a NTSC tv, so may be worth checking :thumb:

5. dullonien

The Media Center window just appears as a black box, I think the signal is ok, everything else displays correctly including video played through Media Player.

It's not the end of the world if I can't find a solution, just slightly annoying.

Edit/ The TV is connected through HDMI directly from the HDMI output from my motherboard. That's the reason I don't want to switch the TV connection with one of my monitors.

6. completemadness

completemadness New Member

i used to use dual screen with windows MCE 2005, and it worked ok

Maybe its something to do with your graphics setup? does the card driving your TV have Direct3D capabilities?

7. dullonien

Thanks for the reply completemadness, but I've got it sorted. I'm not quite sure what the problem was, but it was either a limitation in XP MCE (now upgraded to Vista) or a driver compatibility problem running an Nvidia and ATI card (upgraded my 6800GS to a Radeon X1950XT).

Either way it's working perfectly now.

Tags: