1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Multiple ITX PSU usage?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pazu, 10 Aug 2005.

1. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Hi I am new here (obviously).

Anyway, am currently dreaming of ideas for a future mod and I have a question about using multiple mini ITX PSUs like this for a normal ATX system with power hungry video cards like perhaps a SLI rig..

Is this possible? I mean could I possibly use 3 of these and achieve a 600w equivalent? Perhaps utilising 1 for the graphic cards alone, 1 for the drives and 1 for the mainboard and other stuffs.

I find this an interesting idea because these needs little to no cooling. And should only need some wiring of the mains plug to connect all 3 in parallel.

Sorry if this had been discussed before, my search turns out nothing.

Thanks! :)

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

actually yes it seems very possible to me, since atx psus simply use the powergood wire, green on most atx cables to kick on the psu, just fine the correct pin on those and wire them all to the one plugged into the motherboard, making sure they are all grounded to each other, to prevent different negative grounds..., seems possible enough, however i dont see the need for those if you are using a power hungry video card, you may want to just strip down a regular atx psu to its bare and do that instead...

ohh and Welcome to the Forums! happy modding :dremel:

3. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Like I said, these looks really compact and they require no active cooling.. So I could in theory squeeze 3 of these into a standard ATX PSU package providing 600W with little to no cooling? Or simply have a smaller overall package?

Please correct me if I am wrong. :thumb: