1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Multiple Keyboards for seperate input?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bubsterboo, 31 Oct 2008.

1. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I'm addicted to multiple monitors as I know most of you guys are.

Question is: Is there any software that would allow me to use two keyboard, or two keyboards and mice. Then use this software to assign a separate keyboard to a game or app.

I remember reading somewhere that due to the way windows handles input devices, this is impossible for a simple App to do. Is this true?

Cheers,
    bubsterboo

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know about any software/drivers that do this. But yes you are correct, Windows doesn't "support" multiple keyboard and mouse. Meaning if you have 2 mouses, then both will fight for the cursor. Same applies for the keyboard.

As for keyboard, one might attach 2 keyboard for 2 players games that require serious button mashing (ie: Super Street Fighter) without having the keyboard blocking due to the way it's build (pressing 2 or more keys can cause conflict and not send the request). However, the problem with this is that you the players can't have the same keys as it will control the other player.

Last edited: 31 Oct 2008
  3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, no really great way to do it as GoodBytes said. All of the input devices fight over the same resources (and for good reason - imagine how confusing multiple cursors would be).

Usually any situation where this would be genuinely useful would have one app running fullscreen anyways (games mostly), and they always freak out when they lose focus even if there was a good way to redirect the inputs per-device.

4. bubsterboo

I do have two apps running fullscreen on two monitors, neither mind if they lose focus too. I understand what happens with multiple input devices.

I was just hoping there was some driver/software that could help do this. Doesn't look like there is :(

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

By fullscreen I didn't mean maximized but something that does a full takeover and minimzes when it loses focus (like a game). But no, there's no software solution to this that I'm aware of.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

This has been done on linux (MPX), and it sure looked liked a nightmare to get working, and it hasnt been included in the the main xserver yet

7. bubsterboo

I think it could be done with virtual machines with VMWare, as you can pipe usb devices to the machine. But I need to retain good 3d performance.

Tags: