1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mushkin Memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinOwns, 4 May 2002.

1. KevinOwns

KevinOwns What's a Dremel?

First of all, let me start out by saying my friend is not too smart. He is obsessed with Mushkin memory (no doubt its the name and the name only). He refuses to get Crucial memory despite my telling him its the best, and he is just going to end up with crap by going for the best price with memory.

Is Mushkin's DDR any good?

2. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

never heard of it but that should tell you something. I would just make your friend go for crucial ram, hit him with a big stick if you need to.

3. KevinOwns

My hopes are that once he realizes what TRASH he got for all his components he will listen to me. He is disgracing a PC-60 with that junk :/

4. ^KoC^R@

^KoC^R@ What's a Dremel?

5. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

You say he is going to end up with crap, and then ask if Mushkin is any good? So, you really don't know, but call it crap anyway?
    IIRC I've read a review of some Mushkin stuff that indicated it was pretty good.

And as for "not knowing" about meaning it can't be good, well consider Microsoft. Just about everyone knows about it... doesn't
    mean they are good.

Not trying to start a flame or anything, just make a point. I heard about Mushkin long before Crucial... that certainly doesn't mean
    Crucial is crap :).

6. KevinOwns

Re: Re: Mushkin Memory

"and he is just going to end up with crap by going for the best price with memory." is exactly what I said. For the most part, lets face it, the cheaper RAM is crap. You end up with generic brands that aren't that good.

And he isn't getting other stuff that is very good. He is going purely by price and is getting stuff I would consider old or not very good.

7. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

Does anyone here know who makes Crucial Ram? It's Micron if you don't know.

Shannon

Mushkin is pretty good ram, and I'm sure I know the stick this guy is thinking of buying. It's the plain Jane DDR stick, however if not it has to cost more than the Crucial Stuff.

8. KevinOwns

AFter reading the review that was posted, I have to say, they all performed pretty well. Except OCZ.. haha. He won't OC, so I was thinking Crucial or Corsair would work well for him. The Mushkin will work. I didn't want him buying something JUST because of the name, if you know what I am saying.... (it does have that sort of "BUY ME!" name)

9. Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death What's a Dremel?

yeah, i'd just hit him with a big stick anyway......for no reason really......just for fun........erm....i'll shut up now.

10. Lord Chuckles

Lord Chuckles What's a Dremel?

i used to use mushkin memory.. it can OC Really high.. i had a stick of 2100 128 meg that did 296 cas 2. its good ram, and a lifetime warenty, good company too. i still buy it.

11. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Hehe, you've got a point with the "BUY ME" name :).

12. KevinOwns

Yeah, in that review they got it pretty high. Corsair still beat it though

13. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

Just to let you know, Mushkin is very good ram. I am planning on getting some of this stuff, it is the only true 2.2.2 ram that is stable and very overclockable. Review here:
    http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/mushkinL2/level2_1.htm
    Plus, for that fast of ram, and 512MB none the less, $199 is really a good buy in my opinion.

Just because they don't advertise on TV doesn't make them bad.;)

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

OK....just to get things straight......
    MICRON is the DADDY of ram....the daughter company CRUCIAL uses MICRON chips for their better sticks of ram and cheaper **** like huyandi (or watever its called) for their cheaper crap...

MUSHKIN is another sub division of MICRON and they only use MICRON chips, which means they are more expensive and as they sell their chips with heatspreaders they do very well with overclocking....

thus CRUCIAL = MICRON = MUSHKIN in some respects....some tests show that one is better then the other but overall theyre the same, its just that mushkin is the older name....

personally i run a 512mb stick of p2100 crucial and it runs fine for me at 160fsb, so im very happy with crucial...

btw, if im completly wrong about this please correct me...

15. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

I neither have heard anything bad about mushkin, in fact before i decided to get a gf4 instead of more mem i contacted mushkin about some of their memory, told them what i have now (256mb crucial pc2100 cl 2.5), and recieved a prompt and informative answer.. they were certain that it would work perfectly with my memory in a OC environment too.. not many manufactures will tell you that that ive seen..

gotta love their packaging too, its hella r33t

-scoob8000