1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Music suggestions :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Editor22, 8 May 2010.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Ok so I finally bit the bullet and jumped on the iPhone bandwagon, while I'm amazed so far with the nifty little gadget it made me realise my music collection was really outdated due to listening solely to various shoutcast stations for the past year.
    I was hoping to get some suggestions for music new or old to fill the collection. I'm more of a fit the music to the mood kind of guy so there's no real genre constraints but here's a few of of my favourites.

Fingathing - Check it out
    Pharcyde - Running
    People Under the stairs - The Wiz
    Sublime - Bad Fish
    Mt Eden - Sierra Leone
    Metallica - Orion
    Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (I think)
    Jack Johnson - If I had eyes
    Eva Cassidy - Fields of gold
    Blue Foundation - Bonfires

I really could go on forever but hopefully that's enough for someone to give up a few ideas to tap into itunes :)

2. October

October Mariachi Style

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    The Music - Welcome to the North
    Six Star Hotel - A Kind of Crusade
    Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
    Alexisonfire - Crisis

Just the first few albums off the top of my had that I wouldn't skip a single track on :D

Edit: you should also totally give Vivaldi's Four Seasons a listen, Winter is particularly epic!

Editor22 likes this.
  3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

BAND OF HORSES.

They are flippin amazing

Then always:

Hope Of The States
    Smashing Pumpkins (Anything pre-Adore)
    Hell Is for Heroes
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Them Crooked Vultures

Editor22 likes this.
  4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Agreed on pretty much everything that's been posted so far! Great minds and all that ;)

Lately I've been listening to the following on repeat:

Billy Talent
    Alter Bridge
    Sevendust
    A (yep, just A)
    Creed (pre "weird, let's change everything" phase)
    Joe Satriani

Some of those came to be in my favourites collection thanks to my good bud October :)

Last edited: 8 May 2010
    Editor22 likes this.
  5. October

October Mariachi Style

Can't believe I forgot Billy talent :duh: II and III are also no-skip albums for me. As are both of Alter Bridge's albums.

Just started listening to Creeds last album (Full Circle I think) and its absolutely awesome, On My Sleeve and Time in particular. I recommend it Uni, it's all about the Tremonti ;-)

And of course Satch's entire back catalogue is a must :D

Also:

Extreme - Saudades de Rock
    No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

I'm gonna be at this all night, this thread = can of worms :lol:

6. Unicorn

Agreed! Saudades is epitastic ;) I could be here all night too :p

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

wow thanks guys, you tubed every one and realised my itunes bill is going to be HUGE! Already had a lot of those in my collection but a few that really got me were "silversun pickups, the music, sevendust and billy talent. Band Of Horses - The Funeral just blew me away in the first 5 seconds!

Might be worth noting that the song that I've been playing almost non stop at the moment is
    Aloe Blacc - I need a Dollar

lol yeah I had to stop myself when I made that first list there is just so much great music out there!

8. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Celine Dion
    S Club 7
    The Spice Girls
    Miley Cyrus
    Cher
    Tina Turner

/gets my coat]

Zurechial likes this.
  9. Unicorn

/thread tbh. :lol:

10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You forgot Tay Zonday, Rick Astley, Taio Cruz and Sugababes.

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

How can you even consider putting Rick Astley in the same group as S club 7! he deserves a group of his own right next to the one waiting for chuck norris when he starts a musical career lol

12. boiled_elephant

If chuck norris ever makes music it'll be Christian power ballads, or patriotic Christian country music, which will put him well below S Club 7 :)

Oh, I forgot Rhianna.

13. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

To OP:

You should try Genius in iTunes. I didn't think it'd be any good to start with, but it actually works surprisingly well.

It takes a genre/artist/album and finds similar or linked music and compiles it for you. Effectively a glorified "see what other customers also bought...." kinda thing. But, give it a go!

14. Unicorn

Can I just say after a long day spent in the workshop with Billy Talent II and III on repeat that III is one of the best albums I have ever heard. If you don't have it, get it.

Buy it, steal it, download illegaly... I don't care how you do, just make sure you hear this music!

Last edited: 9 May 2010
  15. geoboy333

geoboy333 Not always completely useless

An artist who i have recently discovered is Eric Hutchinson. He is almost billy joel-esque in his execution but is quirky and very likeable as a musician. Download his album and see if its your cup of tea, it's called "Sounds like this". Thats my 2 cents

Editor22 likes this.
  16. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol I really want to insert a bad chuck norris joke here but I'll hold off :lol:

I just set it up :) will have a play tomorrow and see what weird and wonderful results I get

I got it last night :) had a listen to a couple of tracks then thought i'd save it for the loooong monday at work.

Cheers, I'll have a listen tomorrow love billy joel so it sounds promising :thumb:

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

BIlly Talent III was a it "meh" for me.
    But then, I am a big fan of their II and the debut album. The punk-ness in them is great.
    If you like that, then I'd also recommend some Rise Against. "Revolutions per Minute" and "Sufferer and the Witness" are real good albums.

AFI's "Decemberunderground" was a good album for me, if somewhat emo. Also, their "Crash Love" seems to fill the same slot, judging from the wee bits i've heard.

Bullet for my Valentine are also acceptable in a weird metalcore kinda weirdness. Their new album (fever) is like a less convincing "Scream, Aim, Fire" to me, though - and I'd reccomend "the poison" as the album of choice.

Rob Zombie's new album ("Hellbilly Deluxe 2") is absolutely stunning, with it's slightly-mad, horror film themed and country fuelled rock runs. Plus, there can only be one person in the world that pulls of songs like "Mars needs women" and "werewolf women of the SS"

I also can't miss Avenged Sevenfold (or A7X). Brilliant musos, and their last two albums ("City of Evil", and "Avenged sevenfold") were brilliant. While they do sound a bit "wailing" at times, they more than make up for it in sheer musicianship. Mike Portnoy (of Dream theater) replacing their sadly-passed drummer says about everything about them from a musical perspective. Though they DO need time to get into.

And then, while you're spending time getitng into things, I will always recommend Mastodon. Specifically their "Crack the Skye" album (and "Leviathan", but that's a bit heavier and whackier). But I know that a lot of people dislike Mastodon.

Other than that, my taste sometimes strays to weird places, mostly on the Heavier side of things.

October and Editor22 like this.
  18. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

...This might be a long one. I'll list the genres for the metal stuff, just so you dont have to waste time listening to stuff you may not like.

Arsis. Anything before the Starve for the Devil album is pretty epic(Tech Death Metal)

At the Gates. The Slaughter of the Soul album is amazing, as is The Red in the Sky is Ours.(Melodic Death Metal)

All that Remains. The Fall of Ideals album is my favorite, but the latest one isn't too bad either.(Metalcore)

Amon Amarth. Twilight of the Thundergod is a good one.(Melodic Death Metal)

Andrew W.K. I Get Wet is a damn good album.(Hard Rock I guess...)

Buckethead. A lot... Decoding the Tomb of the Bansheebot, Pepper's Ghost, Albino Slug, Crime Slunk Scene, Chicken Noodles, Chicken Noodles II, The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock, Between the Shadows of the Sky, Monsters & Robots, Population Override, Inbred Mountain, and Enter the Chicken are all excellent albums in my opinion. I can't really classify Bucketheads music so... I'm just going to move on.

Coheed & Cambria. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth is my favorite album by them.(Progressive Rock?)

Cynic. Traced in Air is a superior album in my opinion, but both of their CDs are excellent.(Progressive Death Metal)

Dark Lunacy. An amazing band, they mix Death Metal with classical music(kind of) by incorporating violins and such into the music.(Melodic Death Metal)

Dark Tranquillity. My favorite band of pretty much ever. The Gallery is one of the best albums I have, and the entire thing has hundreds of plays. Character is my second favorite album.(Melodic Death Metal)

Death. All of their music is amazing. Chuck Schuldiner is God.(Death Metal/Progressive Death Metal)

Deep Purple. My favorite album by them is Burn. Ritchie Blackmore is an excellent guitarist.

Demons & Wizards. Iced Earth+Blind Guardian=Epic Win.(Power Metal)

DevilDriver. The Last Kind Words is an awesome album filled with excellent riffs and some good solos.(Groove Metal/Melodic Death)

Dream Evil. Amazing riffs and solos.(Power Metal)

Foghat. Fool for the City is a classic!

Hypocrisy. Good riffs, intense vocals, relatively deep lyrics...sometimes.(Death Metal)

In Flames. I recommend anything before Clayman. Some people like the new stuff, but it pales in comparison to the older stuff, in my opinion anyways.(Melodic Death Metal)

Into Eternity. Canadian band with a vocalist with amazing range. Excellent riffs and solos as well.(Progressive Death Metal)

Jason Becker. The most GODLY ****ing guitarist ever. He is so good I had to swear.(Instrumental/Neoclassical)

Kalmah. Good stuff. Amazing guitarwork.(Melodic Death)

Lazarus AD. A relatively newer metal band.(Thrash)

Paul Gilbert. My absolute favorite guitarist alive. He is an amazing guy. Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar and Get Out of My Yard are both just awesome albums.(Instrumental/Rock/some Pop/Blues)

Skeletonwitch. Awesome vocals and instruments. An all around amazing band.(Black/Thrash/Death)

Stevie Ray Vaughan. Good God this guy was an amazing guitarist. He plays some of the most amazing blues guitar I have ever heard. Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather are both amazing albums without a single bad song on them.

Testament. My favorite Thrash Metal band. Another band with pretty much all amazing albums.

Year of Desolation. You said you like music to fit the mood. If you feel like kicking someone's ass you listen to these guys.(Melodic Death Metal)

Eluveitie. These guys have a pretty unique sound. It is Melodic Death Metal with many other instruments(bagpipes, flute, violin, hurdy-gurdy) mixed in. Several of their songs are in the Gaulish language, but it still sounds amazing.(Folk Metal)

Well there's my recommendations. I have more but it is 5 in the morning so I need sleep.

TL;DR: lots of metal. Buckethead, Paul Gilbert, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dark Tranquillity.:rock:

Editor22 and BentAnat like this.
  19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

very good band that is very often overlooked

Seether sometimes they sound like nirvana others like creed and occasionally like nickleback

youtube for 'FMLYHM' and 'Fine again' for perhaps some of there easier accessible stuff

also a huge fan of Finger eleven (greyest of blue skies is arguably their best album)

and without wanting to sound emo im a big fan of My Chemical Romance

20. boiled_elephant

Has anybody mentioned Nick Cave?

BentAnat likes this.