1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must Kill Teddy Bears - CPU Mad Reader Mod for Oct.05!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sheldog23, 25 Mar 2005.

1. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

who cares that its only april?

Best mod of the year award, right here.

2. the.nth.degree

the.nth.degree What's a Dremel?

very nice work. certainly brought alot of life and character to a usually plain and ugly case. just a quick thought on dispersing that white light: if possible, try frosting the back of that image. if not possible then try adding a piece of frosted acrylic/glass to the back of that panel. it should diffuse the light, spreading it evenly and give the effect yer lookin for. that's why lightbulbs are frosted.

3. Reaps

Reaps What's a Dremel?

Very very cool and original too, which is getting harder and harder to achieve.

4. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Awesome job. I have one question though, how come on the left hand panel you have Teddy Be rs ? Was leaving out the A intentional? Kinda sticks out to me in every picture.

5. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Nope, that A must have stayed behind on the vinyl mask. It stands out to me too but most people don't notice it. I think I might route out an A there at the end. who knows.

As far as the whitle lighting. I got that problem solved with some metal tape and placing the ccfls at the sides instead of the middle. but now one of the ccfls bumps the Acrylic drive cage. So I am going to have to route out a small channel so I can close the door on that side.

Here are some pics of the donor case. It will be properly shot and buried in an unmarked grave after all parts have been transfered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note the fine craftsmanship on the PSU air intake
    [​IMG]
    and of course the "VW beetle wiring harness" inspired internals.
    [​IMG]

We got a lot of work done and most of the pieces are in. I fixed the White lighting issue and the lighting is now beautiful. Now I just have to put the mobo and cards and clean up the wiring. Should be finished tommorow.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2005
  6. Sheldog23

OK. I got all the bezels on. Including the one attached to the DVD and the Light bus. Its getting there.
    [​IMG]

I got a little more wiring because with all the hardware in it subdues the lighting. I really was expecting that and wanted it to some extent, but the must kill teddy bears down the right hand side of the bezel isn't lighting up. So I am going to cover it in frosted vinyl and add some blue LED's back there.

Not to mention I tried to fire it up an my Mobo went Kaput somewhere in the transfer. So now I have to get another one. So that sucks.

Here are some pics of where I am now. This is with all the harware in including the bad mobo.

[​IMG]

as you can see from this pic the MKTB down the bezel is just invisible.

[​IMG]

stay tuned for more...

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Damn man!!! that is some seriously awesome work!

every time i see an acrylic case mod it brings me closer and closer to going up in the roof and grabbing my old one down!

the reason i put it up there was because i didnt want to mod it (not enough confidence)

but that was when i was 11, so you know, im 15 now, and far more confident when it comes to modding, so i might go and grab the case down later today, and do the mods ive always wanted to do to it!!!!

i love those vinyl decals/appliques, wish i knew people who could draw/sketch/whatever that well!!! those grills are awesome aswell :D

keep on moddin' :dremel:

8. Sheldog23

Thank you, and just curious, do you mean attic or upstairs instead of roof?

9. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

I meant attic yes, just most people argue when i say attic, so i said roof...

didnt get it down today as my dad was out for the whole day, and i cant get the ladder to the attic down :S

really... really... want to learn how to airbrush now! would love to do some custom designs

10. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

damn that turned out real nice!!!!

11. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

yeah this case looks sooo nice.
    at first i wasnt interested because its a clear case(cant stand them) But with all the stickers it looks a LOT better

12. Sheldog23

anyhoo here is the final update. I need to fix a few things I noticed in my pics but they are minor. So here we go.

[​IMG]
    Not much difference on this side. New MSI mobo and you can see the Zalman Cooler with its blue LED fan. Lights are toned down a bit more. Though you can't really tell in night shot mode.

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the MKTB along the bezels is now lit blue. Along with how the drive is Stealthed. I love the writing on the wall. 8)

Detail on the drive stealthing. I cut of the screw heads and glued them to the Bezel. This way when it is closed it looks screwed in and matches the rest of em.
    [​IMG]

here you see the Blue MKTB alond the side better. Also finally chaged ther front fan to Red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put in a mini ATX board because he just doesn't use all the PCI slots. Plus the bottom two have the light swithes in it anyway. I added this piece of Acrylic with carbon fibre look vinyl to cover the empty space and to keep the red glare from shining through to the artwork on the back.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get to clean up the wiring and mod the inside as much as I wanted too. It is all out of site for the most part. I just thought it would be cool to do some Defyant style wiring. In fact there were a lot of things I would have done to this had it been mine. Brandon was going through some serious Comp withdrawal though so I felt bad and let him take it home and play with it. Maybe he will be inspired by these forums and work on it some more.

13. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

Wow, that's a great looking mod! Very professional indeed. I know it was a lot of work, and you did it as a project, but that kind of talent could easily earn you a paycheck doing custom work.

Any plans for your next adventure?

14. Sheldog23

Someone suggested I do a Quake2 mod similar to this. It kinda sounds fun, But no plans for a new mod yet. I need to hurry up and make something to show off at quakecon. :sigh:

15. spacehopper

spacehopper What's a Dremel?

gorgeous....

a truly amazing mod! :rock:

16. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

amazing, just amazing!

17. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

The case looks really adorable.

18. Snowshadow

Snowshadow What's a Dremel?

Excellent show of teamwork and artwork on both your friends and your part. You both show a LOT of tallent! :thumb:

19. aevitas

aevitas What's a Dremel?

x2 on that.. very nice! :hip:

20. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

very nice looking case. its certainly an interesting use of a acrylic case, but one which definatly works. the mixture of white, red and blue lighting really goes well with the style of drawing.