1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Matchmaking on L4D got progressively worse as more people started playing on a finite pool of dedicated servers. Because P2P L4D was pretty much unusable, you'd spend 20mins in the lobby trying to get a respectable server. Quite why there weren't enough dedicated servers is a matter for some debate, but clearly these servers were essential.

2. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It's not like dedicated servers don't work, this will be epic fail.

4. Wags

Wags Gamer

All our clan have cancelled their pre-orders. :sigh:

Just waiting for a new game now...Hopefully BF:Bad Company 2 will do the trick (DICE will certainly do well out of this debacle and are making the right noises)!:thumb:

5. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

I wonder what the Server Host companies feel about this !!! :eek:

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

The big issue that is annyoing me is ping. at the end of the day it does not matter how good this service is if its based on private hosting it will fail ALWAYS.

Not many people have a good enough internet connection to host a game consisting of 32 players hell even 16. Its not the download thats the problem as alot of gamers have 8mb+ but..... upload is horrible on almost every single broadband service usually with less than 1mb. This cannot deal with a huge volume of players on some guys PC.

are we confined to 3v3 matches ????? so we can have decent ping.

plus the guy who is hosting will always have a big advantage by having 0 ping

7. Enemyvirus

Enemyvirus CPC Refugee

Having played in a number of clans over the years (CS & Medal of Honor), the loss of dedicated servers for one of the most eagerly anticipated games of the last couple of years is a real shame. Unfortunately not really a huge surprise. The FPS PC game (created specifically for) is disappearing over the horizon. This now a console format game type. All the big developers now will develop these type of games for console play, that will then be ported to PC. Companies don’t even attempt to hide the fact any more (option screens with gamepad set-up as default)

It’s simple economics, IW will sell 10x more console units than PC units. Computer Gaming is now a multibillion dollar industry, the man in the suit is in control. It’s all about the bottom line and dividends for their stock holders.

I may be a bit over dramatic but its the end of a era for PC gaming. The strange thing is that we will moan about it but we will change.

:rock::rock: We PC gamers are nothing if not adaptable. :rock::rock:

8. Overlord

Overlord What's a Dremel?

Im sure the men in suits are salivating at the prospect of a wow in console format. There will be a lot of angry people out there; server hosts and hardware companies that were depending on mw2 for hardware sales I feel more sorry for them tbh they depend on the money for a living.

Let IW do what they want they used us (the PC) go get to where they want, there was life before IW came along and much better games tbh.

9. YAK!>Incubus

YAK!>Incubus What's a Dremel?

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

no because they don't care about games that were released over a year ago ... all they want is to sell their new game

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

This was my response to a Gamespy article (should stop visiting that site, the quality has gone to the dogs in terms of articles).

For me, it's not an issue of mods and 'tweaking' the game, it's a matter of having a reliable server that I can connect to, knowing that my community maintains it flawlessly and have players of varying skill, ranks, play methods and approaches, but ultimately play in a fair and enjoyable manner. Removing this from the game has essentially removed the heart from online PC gaming. Dedi's are what make online gaming for the PC so damn reliable and fun. ZiiP had a CoD4 server for a year and a half and we constantly had solid traffic with little or no hassle and people who like our rules, stayed and many eventually became members. People who loved bunny-hopping and could not see the relavance of being allowed all the perks, usually left after 1 or 2 rounds. We closed that server and have been focusing on other systems for a brief time due to a lull in the gaming recently. We had been psyching ourselves up for this release and had been prepping our forum and advertising accordingly. Now, with these releases from IW, that has all been for naught.

Without the ability to moderate our own servers that accomodate those players who enjoy playing the game in a fair and balanced manner, there is no point in playing this game online.

IW's response to the petition and uproar that has been so justly made by the PC gaming community have been petulent and disregarding of the principles behind the userbase that started their company.

The responses do not address any of the issues, only using rhetoric and slogans that do nothing to quash the concerns raised by us.

From my own perspective, it is a complete breakdown in the support of PC gaming and as such, I can only hope that IW sales, or lack thereof, for the PC ulimately ruins them in some form

13. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

QQ

Baz likes this.
  14. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I don't want CoD6

16. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

thats abit defeatist.

maybe they could give you an option

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

okay you're annoying now. I could understand you were fed up with the bitching but you're doing the same yourself now. Just leave already

18. steleet

steleet Did he death?

No servers make bunny sad.

19. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Oh, shut up. This thread is a farce. Hundreds of posts saying exactly the same thing, just worded slightly differently in each case. Hundreds of posts demonstrating little to no grasp of economic cycle or the game development process. Hundreds of posts, I would bet, by people who don't really understand what this means for PC gaming but everyone seems angry for some reason so lets post in agreement and sign the petition.

If only I could think of a subtely witty way of slagging off Infinity Ward whilst informing you that I have cancelled my pre-order for MW2 (as if you give a sh*t about my pre-order status). Would that appease you? Well, bugger that. I like Infinity Ward. I like the games they make and I fully intend on keeping my pre-order (on PC, before anyone starts) so when it's released myself and a handful of other open-minded people who haven't been swept up in this ridiculous parade will be having a bloody riot playing MW2 online. Then we'll all probably add each other to our friends lists thingy-ma-bob, form a clan, and one day kick the sh*t out of your clan on a private game that we arranged, on a map we decided on and set up using the IWNet system which, by this time, everyone will have decided isn't really that bad at all. Because lets be honest, all this rhetoric, all this whining is hot air. You might well have cancelled your pre-order but all it takes is one of your mates to fold and buy it and then suddenly he's persuading you to buy it and then you're persuading some one else etc etc. This "boycott" will not hold. Why not? Because we're gamers and when there's a good game out there, WE want to play it.

Christ. I feel like Nick Griffin.

hugo60 likes this.
  20. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Look i cant really say your wrong acron^ you may well love iw.net and the match making.

but for me its the mods and custom severs that i will miss. The chance to play the game how i want with the maps i like iw.net takes that away from me that is why i don't like it and probably the reason most ppl don't like it. We all know that thay want to make money its the job to make money but it smells like DLC is there only concern something they plan on getting us to pay for i bet! but i don't mind being proved wrong and i haven't canceled my pre-order i didn't pre order so there