1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I am really annoyed with this bit of news. I was delighted when I saw that it wasn't delayed, but then when they stated no dedicated servers on that live stream...the silence kid of said it all.

I reckon there are 3 ways it can go;

1) It will be a crappy console port from the get-go and not be improved upon and the network code is crap, but the SP should be solid.

2) The devs will release dedicated support somewhow and all will be ok.

3) The new "matchmaking" will work straight out of the box and we can game to our hearts content, safe in the knowledge that we will have to pay for any DLC.

Matchmaking. What the hell. Personally, I do NOT want to play against people at the same rank. I give a flying toss about your rank. It does not mean jack about whether or not you are fun to game with. I want to play with mates and people I trust and have great fun playing with, like all of the members in ZiiP

Manys a time I have gone onto a server after restarting a profile, rank 5 or something and kick the living crap out of lvl55 people who seem to barely know which end of a sniper-rifle to point towards the enemy.

I am pissed off with this news, but hopefully in the coming week, IW will release more information about this new system and whether or not it will acutally work as intended.

There are some things that I really want to know;

- What is the maximum player number through IW.net?
    - What are the system requirements?
    - Do we have to pay for DLC (map pack confirmed for early next year)
    - IS THERE HARDCORE MODE?
    - Can the "matchmaking" restriction on rank be disregarded so that we can play with anyone we know
    - Will there be a working friends list.

If I can get some answers for even some of these things, I will be happy (if the answers are good).

2. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

OH S**T! I totally forgot about Hardcore mode!

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Already been announced there is no Demo hasn't there?

4. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Yes, sadly. No demo and no beta. It all starts to make sense now...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be fair Steam and VAC are a good thing imo, but no dedicated servers? FAIL.

Matchmaking? FAIL.

No way was I going to pre-order this, now I'm not even going to bother until I see it at <£20 just for the singleplayer.

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I see nothing about this on Fourzerotwo's twitter, so i call ******** for now.

The only source Kotaku cites is "a webcast" so i'm not convinced. I want to hear the man himself confirm this.

8. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799 -> 1h41m
    HEAR it from him then.

I don't post ********.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2009
  9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Sounds a bit similiar to him. But is that supposed to be evidence? Don't you think such a game-changing, or even platform-changing feature would be announced on more than just some random guy's webcast?

rpsgc dude stop editing your post lol, i'm losing track of your edits.

10. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

http://bashandslash.com/ is hardly "some random guy".

Neither are the remaining participants:

"Thanks to Rob, PST*Joker from mycallofduty.com, Rudedog from fpsadmin.com, Garetjax from codtv.tv, Josh from Planetmedalofhonor.com, MatTks from @weplaycod (Twitter) and weplaycod.com, iBleedv20 at omnilinkit.com and the hordes in our chatroom and ventrilo."

Maybe they didn't want it announced to the whole word...?

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Why, what IS bashandslash.com then? Because it doesn't look like much.

This looks just like any other scare rumor that has been confirmed fake already.

I already told you: I'll believe it when i see some confirmation from a credible source.

12. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Fine, believe what you want. I give up, it's pointless. I can't compete with such powerful logic as "I never heard of him before so it must be ********".
    It's not Robert Bowling talking? OK. Keep fooling yourself.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You'll let me do that? Why thank you!

Just why are you so upset about this? Are you a COD hater, or what? We'll see what the truth is soon enough, untill then just calm down mate. Nervousness is bad for your health.

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

I actually think my biggest worry now is that I have heard nothing about Hardcord Mode.

I couldn't stand the softcore nonsense in CoD4, that and the obscene bunny hopping.

Hell, even if 10v10 runs smoothly, if there is HC, I will still get it.

I'll not hold my breath on anything, but will certainly wait to make any decisions until I hear some official postings from the devs, not Twitter or the webcast (and yes I have seen/heard both).

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Stop the flames. Now.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

They had the Hardcore mode in the console version of MW1 which used a matchmaking service, so I don't see why it would be different on the PC.

It was a popular game mode, so I don't think they'd scrap it altogether. At least I hope not, because that's all I used to play, so I'd have more reason to keep playing MW1 if they did.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Why not? And if they didn't want to announce it to the whole world, they wouldn't have announced it at all because they know how the word spreads on the internet.

That's a really good point you guys brought up there. The console versions of COD4 do have Hardcore mode but not with every game mode. You can't change Friendly Fire values either. I hope the system will be a bit more flexible this time around. That is assuming we'll really lose dedicated servers.

18. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Just because you refuse to believe it doesn't mean it's a lie, nor does it gives you the right to disrespect and disparage a reputable website and its owner simply because you don't like what was said there (by Robert Bowling I might add), much less because you don't know the fansite.

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Chill out. Just try to calm down.

I'm sure there will be official press releases during the week :)

Hell, he could have been taking the mick, he was in Amsterdam, who knows what he was on :D

20. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Everyone please go sign the petition here:

To: infinity ward

Get Infinity Ward to review their decision not to allow fully dedicated servers for their forthcoming game release CoD:MW2. Remember that this Call of Duty was made popular by PC Gamers who have supported the series throughout.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

It going up exponentially, 6122 and rising!

F**k IW. F**k MW2.