1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Yeah, you pretty much covered all the bases.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

I'm pretty sure no matter how many people sign that petition and choose not to buy the PC version, they're still gonna sell a few million console copies. Pretty sure that's all they're gonna be interested in, much as it pains me to say.

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well if we don't bitch and moan then they just win ...

they can't lose, but we can't let them win

4. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

This is really bad news. This was going to be the game that I bought this year for Christmas. I like to find a cool clan's server and I'll just play there until I get tired of a game. That's why I still play CSS because the server I play at is so cool.

I don't really understand why they did this. MW2 could have used the same online system as MW1, so why did they just throw it out?

5. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

I can't think of any good one.

Yes, that is what they're trying to do.

6. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

In defence of IW (and for the fact that I love playing devil's advocate), hardcore PC gamers need to understand that they are a minority. IW don't care what you think. They are going to sell bucket loads of MW2 anyway.

Look back at this thread. The clues are all there. IW didn't want to even release a PC version. Why not? Piracy? Technical issues? Pick your perfectly valid reason. Ok, so Activision demands. Why would they write an entirely separate multiplayer system for a platform they don't even want to support? The quickest, cheapest, least complicated way is just to bolt it onto their existing matchmaking service and wrap it up like some Battle.Net clone.

And then, PC owners bitch about it. Piracy, technical issues and unappeasable, trolling idiots. Remind me why developers make PC games anymore?

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Even if Activision notice a drop in sales of 10-15% solely because of this issue, i doubt they would be particularly happy about IW's decision. My guess is that Treyarch will be releasing all future COD franchised titles on the PC, which is a shame. Although it is probably what IW wanted in the long run.

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

So what's it like to be 5 years behind us in hardware?

9. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Reading comprehension FTL
    I said they stated that they didn't want to be a PC exclusive developer, i.e. they're money hungry arse bandits (look I learned a new word).

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Over 46k signatures now, lets all hope this make a difference.

11. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

matchmaking IS a good thing and makes a nice FEATURE, but please, it's a feature nothing more nothing less, add it to a game, and don't cripple it to death.

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

WTF!?!?! I don't fully understand but if my rushed reading is right this has just killed MW2 totally.

*Had to check it wasn't April 1st.

13. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

DICE has another go at it ;)

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...-please-dont-let-happen-bc2.html#post11677889

http://twitter.com/Demize99/status/4970110139

http://twitter.com/GordonVanDyke/status/4970389336

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Don't care about IW.Net. Don't care about PB going. Don't care about VAC. Don't care about Steam.

Do care about dedicated servers.

Didn't preorder, so I can't cancel. Was kinda pissed about the whole.. "Let's make it unforgivably expensive" thing. Looks like another game I'll be passing up on.

15. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol 113 posts in 32 mins. it doesnt matter what they do this game will sell like crazy and im pretty sure they knew this would cause outrage when they decided so they wont care what anyone says

it has to be to cut down on piracy, atleast its one of the big reasons, why else would they pay for servers. it has to be easier to keep pirates from joining dedicated servers

not buying the game wont send a message as the vast majority will still buy it no matter what, and even if it was boycotted fully itd just be a reason to drop the format. even if 25% of PC gamers didnt buy it its still a small precentage of the overall sales. across 3 formats that would mean only 8.3% and if it cuts down on piracy it still mean win. using 25% as a guess

they know everyone wants their product do they can charge what they want and do what they want. supply and demand

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  16. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Is this some new way of participating in debates? Asking irrelevant rhetorical questions? What the hell are you talking about and what has it got to do with dedicated servers?

Ok, let me have a go; So, what's it like being more concerned about your CPU speed than your c*ck size?

That's it, dude. Troll your way to success. That'll get you just what you want.

17. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

So you post a lie, I correct it and then I'm a troll, OK.
    Pot, meet kettle :rolleyes:

18. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Load of balls tbh, cheers Infinity Ward, way to go abandoning your most loyal fanbase.

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Signed the petition. FU IW!

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The thread was here yesterday, the article was linked to it this morning :)