1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My BBC Micro Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ----jimbo----, 24 Oct 2015.

1. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

Nothing overly exciting but thought I would share this. I wanted a BBC Micro to use as our till PC at work for a bit of retro fun. Obviously it's no good running BASIC so thought I'd upgrade it to a 2.2Ghz i3, 4GB RAM and a 500GB SSD running Windows 10!

All finished now and here are some piccies.

This is unfinished, but gives an idea of how I did it, cut out the insides and fit the motherboard from a laptop. I used a circuit to convert the keyboard into a USB keyboard (made by http://www.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/ ) which then looped onto a USB header inside. Messy but does the job. The ports at the back are extension cables from the mainboard ports.

[​IMG]

This shows the rear ports, Video out port is now the DC in for the power, the far right is USB, Ethernet and HDMI. The others are from the original board and left in place to preserve the look.

[​IMG]

Finished and back together, power button is under the film to the left of the tab key, cassette light is the power LED. All keys working correctly.

[​IMG]

Installed and running Windows 10!

[​IMG]

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Awesome mod is AWESOME! :thumb:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Agreed.:D Much awesome.
    Any way you could have tilted the motherboard to use the old port holes? -Not familiar with this unit, so I don't know how much space you have.

4. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

That was my original idea, the ports were all over the place though and nothing lined up. To make the cut-outs at the rear would have looked a bit of a mess with extra holes and part filled ones.

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun. Staff

That is fantastic. Brings back memories (and nightmares) of screechy tapes and loading times today's youth just wouldn't even comprehend.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Beeb, the C64, the Speccie... Good times man, good times.