1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding my big summer project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by notatoad, 21 Mar 2007.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm gonna build a server this summer to run backups, fileserver, mythtv backend, etc. so i got thinking about what case to put it in, and i've decided i want to gather all my computer stuff into one case. this means printer, router, desktop pc, server, chargers for my mp3-player and cell-phone, my big box of wires and little parts, and a place for an xbox if i buy one in the fall. here's my quick sketchup rendering (all dimensions are way off, the whole thing is completely out of proportion):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i plan to have fabric, like you get covering speakers, running all the way around the computer compartment for good ventilation. i don't think the build should be too hard, i have lots of experience working with wood. i might try to get something fabricated out of alu for the mobo tray/hd mount. the hard part is going to be the wiring, especially if i want to be able to slide out the pc without unplugging everything first. lots of extended power supply wires and spring loaded wire spools, i think.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2007
  2. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Member

Hm, i think this could be a funny project, but it seems a bit unlogical to me? Why do you wanna gather everything in one big case :eek:? It would be a cool idea to do, if you had the different things split up in boxes you could take out anytime...

3. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder New Member

That seems like a very good idea to me, especially if it looks like a speaker.

4. notatoad

yeah, you're right, it's not the most logical thing. however, i don't see myself ever needing to separate them. i don't game too much, so i won't be going to LAN parties or dragging my computer somewhere else. that's what laptops are for.

in the 4yrs i have had my computer i have never needed to move it from underneath my desk, and i don't see that changing. the server is basically to serve this computer alone, so that i can easily maintain my data between windows and linux partitions and 3+ virtual machines, and to ssh into from school. if i were going for flexibility, separate cases would be better, but i really just want to keep everything organized, and i think a unified case is the best way to do that.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2007
  5. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

The first thing that came to my mind were the chargers. In my last job, I saw two mobile phone chargers die - they were constantly plugged in without a phone connected to them. I don't know if that is your actual plan, but it is what I gathered from your post.

Also, what if you need to restart the router? Again, from personal experience I have seen quite a few network/internet problems solved by restarting my router.

I'm not trying to bring this project down - I like it - but I'm only trying to offer a different point of view; as again from personal experience I have noticed that a third party view often provides insights that I never would've had on my own.

I think this should be a great project nonetheless; again, I'm just trying to chip in my two (drunken) cents, and I wish you the best of luck with it :)

6. notatoad

the router will be hidden, not permanently closed in. i plan to have the top layer hinged so i can access the router and anything else i might want to hide in there.

good to know about the chargers. feel free to bring this project down, that is why i posted it months before i will have a chance to work on it. i want to know all the reasons why it won't work before i lay out my money and time.

7. Ebeneezer Goode

Ebeneezer Goode New Member

You could create like a stealth front end, get some fibre optics running from the router to the outside so you can monitor router status and activity.

If its going to be really heavy with all the equipment in you could also look at putting some wheels on. :D

With regards to the motherboard tray you could cut it from an old server case or buy a cheap case and dissect it.

It sounds like a great project though. :thumb:

8. WisconsinPlatt

WisconsinPlatt New Member

Perhaps each component or group of components (i.e. - Chargers, Network gear, Printer, Computer) could have its own mains power switch. Then you could reboot the router, turn off your chargers when not using them, etc.

Wouldn't be that difficult to implement. And then hide/stealth the switches as needed.

9. notatoad

i really like this idea.

and, yes, it will have wheels.

10. cpu121

cpu121 New Member

I realise your plans are just inital renders in sketchup, but the motherboard tray seems the wrong way round (unless you're planning on something like BTX?)?

Also you may need some support at the corners of the console area as the PC compartment might be a bit heavy.

All that aside, it looks impressive. Good Luck. :thumb:

11. notatoad

yeah, it's just a quick cutaway sketch. fully enclosed, the side panels will support the pc compartment. one of the motherboards will have to be flipped upside-down.

12. scifi3018

scifi3018 New Member

What is the console getting hooked up to?
    Do you have a TV on your desk, or are you using your computer monitor for your console?

Also i like this idea a lot, i had plans to do something like this (more server style with Rack mounts) but never got around to it.

Also, on the front (presumably) do you have 2 doors in front of the drawers and console? The cutaway is somewhat hard to grasp the concept clearly.

13. notatoad

the console (if i buy one) will be hooked up to my 22" widescreen monitor. the cabinet will have two doors, it will be completely symmetrical.

I think this project may go the same way as yours :( , i'm going to be in the mountains this summer, and i see myself spending a lot more time on my bike than in my garage.

14. Snaek

Snaek New Member

How will you access the router and chargers? You said the top layer will be hinged but isn't the printer going to sit on top? Or did you mean the top part of the front?

Other than that it looks great.

15. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

my only complaint is thats it looks like its going to be quite a lot of fun to replace any hardware or upgrade anything :D

16. fathom17

fathom17 New Member

Routers need ventilation and it doesn't look like there much in that little bit at the top. Also keeping a PC in a wooden box, could over heat quite quickly. My girlfriends dad killed a DVD and VHS player by storing them both in a wooden cupboard (which housed the TV aswell). Carefull of ventilation. Nice idea though.