1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My Case (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Twilighted, 3 Mar 2004.

1. Twilighted

Twilighted What's a Dremel?

Hi all. I have a fairly run-of-the-mill black short tower case with a pre-modded window. I have a blue cold cathode inside, three blue LED fans, and have painted my speakers and monitor black to match the rest of my equipment.

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions about how to improve the appearance of my case (or monitor/mouse/keyboard/etc for that matter), without spending an exorbitant amount of money.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Last edited: 6 Mar 2004
  2. fg0d

fg0d Banned

good job. Try to drift away from the blue CCFL, there so used. Try something new. but 2 thumbs up on the case.

3. Twilighted

I just ordered some blue lighted feet for my case. I have the idea that I can take the ccfl and attatch it to the bottom of my case for that UFO look. I would still like to have at least some level of blue in my case, since I have several other... light sources on my desk that are blue (the Peerless drive, monitor LED, speaker LED, keyboard LEDs, power and HDD LEDs). I've always liked the look of a blue cathode and a green one in the same case, making sort of a gradient.

Also thinking about one of the two:
    1. Painting the inside of my case black, or
    2. Putting mirrors on the "floor" of my case

I don't know how to cut mirrors though, it sounds a little difficult.

4. fg0d

fg0d Banned

life was built on "precut"

5. Go4t

Go4t i

did you fiddle with the colors of that image because it looks almost b&w except the comp

6. Twilighted

Yeah, I did. Everything else is pretty much black and white, but my lamp adds a golden-yellowish tint to everything.

7. El_JimBob

El_JimBob Minimodder

Nice cool lookin case - blue is the suavest of all colours after all....
    As if ud ever wanna use any other colour....

You should be able to find mirrored adhesive paper in craft stores - a heck of a lot easier to cut and apply.

8. Twilighted

Oooh, excellent. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

9. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Case looks nice, I'd like to compliment you on your nice photos as well, vary nice looking, I'd also half to agree with blue, yuck. :D

10. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

is that fan on the bottom of the case blowing in or sucking out?

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

look again- its on the back blowing out. just taken from an odd angle

12. Twilighted

Front of the case is intake, window is intake, rear fan and 3-fan PSU are exhaust. CPU runs at 26 C :clap:

Thanks Ducarii. More of my photos (of "real" stuff, not of my computer), are at www.twilighted.com. There's some really bizarre CGI corruption going on on my site, but there wont be any problems unless you try to view some of my oldest pictures. The newer ones are better anyway.

I love blue. The only thing I would like more than blue would be a black light. Not UV, but black, that could make an unusual, murky darkness inside my case.

13. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

yeah, precut mirrors are your friend, but failing that, you cut mirrors the same way you do pane glass. just score it once(along the glass, not silvered side) with a glass cutter, and break along the line. then clean the edge using a stone file. easy :D

14. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Great pictures man, I especially like 'mounted rose' great dramatic lighting. :rock:

15. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

ahaha i see it now

nice case btw :thumb:

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

really nice case, although u appear to have cheated mildly by altering the image, but heck i forgive u :p

Anyway u need to stick another cathode in near the top in my opinion..andf there is nothign wrong with blue.

oh and for a black light goto ur local petshop...they sell black cathodes for fish that dislike light, my south african red bellied piranha has one...he's so cute :p

17. digitalp1mp

digitalp1mp What's a Dremel?

Who cares wuts used, do what you like I like your site also, good photography - also if you havent already Stealth your drives?

Chris

18. Twilighted

The front of my case has a door, so drive stealthing isn't necessary. I do want to stealth the drives that show on the inside of my case. For now I just colored them with sharpie (I was desparate!).

[​IMG]

I don't really know what materials to use to cover them up (I'd rather completely cover them than paint them.

I also just started installing blue LEDs. Finished my keyboard today (NEVER open a Mitsuko keyboard... the rubber springy things arent attatched to anything, and they will ALL FALL OUT!). I'm planning on doing my speaker LED and monitor LED tomorrow.

This might be a little beyond my means... but does anyone know how to change a speaker LED from on/off to fading on to correspond with the volume? Brightest at full blast, etc. I just started dabbling in electronics, so I'd probably fux0r the operation, if I tried, but I'm too curious for my own good.

19. Ducarii

Ducarii What's a Dremel?

Now that you point it out, those drives actually look pretty sharp like that, might consider doing the mounting in black for the 5in bays the same way you did the drives. :D

20. Go4t

Go4t i

paint the drive cages black