1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors My Celica GT-Four Build Thread! - Updated 15/08/19

Discussion in 'General' started by Unicorn, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Initial Plans For Exterior Styling

Okay, here I go with a rough idea of what I want the car to look like on the exterior. At the moment I'm not sure about the colour - I am torn between metallic black, metallic cobalt blue and a gorgeous colour of red called R29 :) I'll be able to make a decision closer to the time but my point of bringing this up is so that we can assume for now that the whole car is going to be re-sprayed after the shell work is finished. Here's an example of a GT4 in each colour for reference:

Cobalt Blue Celica ("Sonic" Courtesy of "SonicST205" on GT4OC.net)

[​IMG]

R29 Celica GT-Four ("Evo Killer" Courtesy of "tufy" on 6gc.net)

[​IMG]

Metallic Black GT Hatchback ('97 GT Courtesy of "pandakid" on 6gc.net)

[​IMG]

Body kits are a real bone of contention for me, on any car. I think there's a very fine line between putting a kit on a car that makes it look like "you're sticking cheap plastic bits to a perfectly good car" and "damn, that's a sporty looking kit and it looks awesome on that car!". Thankfully, it's a lot easier when you're starting with a sporty Toyota from the early 90's, because Toyota's racing development team were good enough to design a body accent kit for the car themselves. A TRD kit, designed by Toyota, for their own cars. Win ;) I'm going to put the TRD skirts and rear bumper extensions (or "spats" as they are sometimes called) on, both will probably come from RT Performance because the original TRD ones can be hard to find. Here's what they look like:

Bumper Extensions/Spats (Courtesy of RT-Performance-UK on eBay)

[​IMG]

TRD Side Skirts (Courtesy of RT-Performance-UK on eBay)

[​IMG]

The front bumper will be a C-One styled one, although I don't think the mesh that was mentioned earlier in the thread will be going in - it just gets filled with leaves and dirt, and gets dented by stones and ends up looking cheap. I may put some sort of guard in there to protect the FMIC, but it won't be a silver mesh. The bumper that I've chosen at this point is actually manufactured by a company called RT-Performance because I think C-One went out of business, but it's a carbon copy of the original. Here is what it looks like, and a picture of it on an ST205:

C-One Style GT-Four Bumper (Courtesy of RT Performance)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rims have already been discussed at length here, and I appreciate all your input and suggestions on them because of all the things on the car, they're the part that I have never been 100% certain about. Thankfully all you need is another full set of rubber and you can own a couple of sets of rims, and change them as frequently as you want to, should you want to. I have loosely decided on the 18x8 Fox RS5's with low profile tyres for the street, and a set of either Compomotive MO5 16's with bigger tyres or 16" Compomotive TH's for track use. Here they are:

Comp TH Gravel Motorsport Wheel

[​IMG]

Fox RS5 Wheel

[​IMG]

Comp MO5 Motorsport Wheel

[​IMG]

The front lights will either already be projector lamps or will be converted to projector's if they're not, and the tails will be switched to original Toyota JDM tail lights, which are much nicer looking than the USDM or European tail lamps.

GT-Four with "Four Eyes" projector headlamps ("SS-Four" by "Malpaso" on 6gc.net)

[​IMG]

GT-Four JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Tail lamps ("SS-Four" by "Malpaso" on 6gc.net)

[​IMG]

I've mentioned before that it wouldn't be a GT-Four without a raised spoiler, and although I've grown to like the 3 pillar bumper without the riser blocks, I love the big "GT-Four" embossed spoiler far too much not to put one on ;) Here's what the spoiler looks like with a set of risers on, and as I've said before I will be colour coding mine to match the colour of the rest of the body, even if I do get the CF ones.

Celica GT-Four spoiler riser blocks (Images courtesy of "RT-Performance-UK" on eBay)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front bonnet is a little undecided at the moment. Obviously I'm going to be buying an ST205, so it's going to have a vented GT-Four bonnet on it to begin with, but there are aftermarket bonnets available with more cool air intakes on them to vent the engine bay more and feed turbochargers with a larger and more direct cold air intake. I'll leave this one up in the air for now, but I've seen this one and quite like how it looks on the car. Mine will be colour matched to the rest of the body.

ST205 Bonnet with vents ("Monster ST205 UK Track Car" by GTForceRG4 on YouTube).

[​IMG]

That just about wraps up the exterior styling, other than to say that I'll be putting a medium tint on all the glass except the windscreen, and maybe a small TRD sunstrip on the windscreen :thumb: Not sure about putting manufacturer decals etc on at the moment... I'm about 90% sure that I don't want any decals on the exterior although I will probably put a 6GC or GT4OC logo on the rear windows, and I'm planning on putting some manufacturer decals on the radiator cover under the bonnet for when it's on display (Garrett, HKS, Brian Crower etc, just the main performance manufacturers). This is what that "Cooling Panel Cover" looks like in CF. Under the bonnet and in the cockpit is probably the only place I'll allow any bare CF to be on show, and if so it'll be real CF, no crap vinyl covers :D

CF Celica Cooling Panel (Courtesy of RT Performance)

[​IMG]

Last but not least (and i may be spoiling it a bit by letting you know this!) is the accent colour. This is the colour of things like the seatbelt straps, vents, switches etc in the cockpit and the engine head, HT leads, intercooler piping etc under the bonnet. If I paint the car blue, I'll have either blue or white accents. If I paint it red, I'll have blue accents and if I paint it black I'll have red accents.

I hope the owners of the cars and images that I've used here don't mind me using their material. I've tried to credit everyone where possible, and I'd just like to say that these people and their cars are what has helped inspire me to take this project on and build my own GT-Four :)

Tell me what you think!

I agree, I'm not sure why he has such a long shift lever on it. A shorter stick along with a short shift linkage makes a really nice combination and allows super fast shifting :thumb:

Any idea what a good oil to use might be? I'm a long way off needing any oil but just out of interest what would you reccommend?

Twin scroll is pretty much the way to go if you want serious power and torque from a 3S-GTE. There are some single entry turbo's and headers that will allow a similar amount of performance, but for the fastest spool the twin entry/twin scroll is certainly the way to go. The twin entry Garret GT35R is about £1100, a good Blitz or maybe even custom built header for that would probably be around £800 and the IC piping, Intercooler itself and BOVs etc... Gah, pick a number between 2000 and infinity... Yes, it's going to be seriously expensive to put a large twin scroll turbo on it, but if it's the easiest way to serious power and torque without massive lag, I'm willing to spend an extra year of time and money doing it and have something really special at the end. One thing that's for sure is that the car is going to put a massive smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel :D

[edit]

Oh and don't worry, my purchase was considerably larger than a TRD sticker! :hehe:

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011
  2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

They are all nice colors, but I'd want to choose a something unique, even if it's just slightly different. A slightly darker and metallic version of R29 would be nice :naughty:

The spoiler and tail lights on "SonicST205" are ok, but...
    1) I don't like how the base of the spoiler has the unnecessary weight with the lower horizontal section, but I suppose without that flat lower surface, then the spoiler wouldn't match at all.
    2) The idea of having circular tail lights is good, and could match the front, but the wrap around shape of the tail light housing leaves a heap of unused space.... I'm not sure why this problem wasn't solved by filling the gaps/blending the lights in... perhaps there's too much vibration when the boot is closed to prevent cracking?
    The bumper and sideskirts have been blended in which is very nice... but hopefully the kit never bumps into or over any kerbs, etc, or there could be some major cracks :waah:
    The spats look good without being blending in, their curves match the car well.

The JDM tail lights look very nice, and suit the car very well.

The Cone front bumper looks great, "EVO Killer" proves that, but I think he should have used front indicators that are clear with an amber inner lense, to suit the indicators on the JDM tail lights.

Now sure cars can look tougher/rougher without any grill mesh, especially when there's an intercooler visible, but when the front end has the sun shining on it, a shiny intercooler looks kinda bling:
    [​IMG]
    Sure it would look a little better with a larger intercooler that filled the main opening, or he could just use mesh on every opening and everything matches!

You don't have to use silver mesh of course, dark grey or black mesh on all the openings would still be visible and much neater than no mesh :thumb:
    Don't worry about leaves and stones btw - stones give every car's front end scratches or even tiny dents, but at least if the mesh gets dented, it's very easy to straighten it out, and paint touchups on mesh are near impossible to detect without a magnification device, and becoming a demotivational poster. (Identifying Touchups: Yep, it's a touchup)
    Any leaves caught in the main mesh, would have just got caught on the intercooler or raditor/etc anyway, so no difference there, and any caught in the brake duct inlets, would have just got blown onto the brake/suspension/etc.

I like the two 5 spoke wheels you've posted, but the comp TH look a bit plain and boring imo.
    Maybe they've got fins to effectively improve brake cooling, but I assume you're going to slap some big vented brakes in there, so you can afford to use sexier wheels :D

The GT four risers do took tough, and the GT four spoiler does match, I'm just sick of seeing spoilers, especially when most of them are on economical cars, including most of the Celicas fitted with spoilers :miffed: I guess you'll surprise a few unsuspecting peeps, who just thought it was another economical Celica with mags and a spoiler :lol:

And I'll tell you what type of oil is the absolute best for your engine!
    Fresh oil :D
    Seriously though, most if not all modern synthetic oils would probably be fine... but I'd stick to the more popular brands, just in case. Some people talk up the more expensive oils as if they make cheaper options of the same viscosity seem pathetic, but I've noticed pretty small differences. Although the most expensive ones are usually the best, I tend to stick to decent brands with the lowest viscosity I can get away with, and change it as soon as it looks like it's starting to get a bit dirty and runny. I'd rather use a cheaper oil of the same viscosity, and give it a quick drain and fill twice as often.

Hopefully soon organic oils and bio fuels will be good enough to race our cars with :worried:

And blue accents on a red car? Your other accent options all match well, but blue and red aren't that complementary imo, I mean they are ok, but you could do better.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  3. Valo

Valo Active Member

the second blue celica looks the best (ss4)

For the front grille, i'd say go with a black hex mesh with white gt four or some other relevant gt4 typography stenciled on it in white.

4. Yeoo

Yeoo Active Member

sack of those fox alloys

5. Unicorn

MV, I only posted a pic of Sonic as a colour reference! I'm not actually too keen on the styling of it, just what he has under the bonnet ;)

I think that blue hoses etc in a red engine bay looks quite good, but there's only a slim chance that it'll be red anyway. I think I'll go for a darker colour to give an even tougher look to the whole car :)

Valo I really like your idea about the mesh in the front, if my FMIC doesn't have a logo on it I will do that :)

Yeoo I don't understand your comment at all, care to explain?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  6. Yeoo

Yeoo Active Member

I think the alloys will ruin the car.. there too Fast and furious 2002 style.. The Tarmac wheels are lovely.. this car should be what it is a epic rally car not a rice racer.

7. Unicorn

We made it to page 5 before the word rice came up. I suppose I should be impressed.

Take a look at the 'Evo Killer' car in my post above. Does it look like a fast & furious plastic bling laden 'ricer'? Nope, it looks awesome. Look at the rims on it. Those are almost identical to the Fox RS5's.

I still have no clue what 'sack of those Fox alloys' means. If you meant what you put in your second post, no offence but you worded it...wrong.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Really should have subbed to this earlier tbh!

Personally I'm not a fan of the alloys, but each to their own, I think I've just seen too many Corsa's with stupid sized wheels to like them anymore. Now, a decent set of steelies, well that's a different matter ;)

My favourite set of wheels you've put in the above post would have to the Comp MO5's. There's something about the tarmac rally look that makes me a little giddy!

9. Unicorn

Glad to have you along Mars! Thanks for subbing :)

Yeah the rims are like marmite, you'll either love them or hate them. The TH's would be something I'd only use occasionally, for wet track tires or something, definitely not the street and not the usual track tires. The MO5's are gorgeous, I think I'd like to run those with the normal track tires. I'll have to see how they all look on the car when I have it. I might make a total 180, you never know! I will be seeing hundreds of sets of rims between now and when I am putting a final set on the car! For the first while, when it's being road tested (to see what's right/wrong with it and how it drives as stock) and when it's nothing but a rolling shell, it'll be on the standard rims.

Other rims I've been looking at and considering are the OZ Superleggera's for that "spokier" look, some of the BBS range like the CH Challenge, CX-R for something really different or the Air AI, another awesome looking 5 spoke rim and I also really like MV's suggestion of the MOZ DCM8 rims a couple of pages back.

I'm looking into other body colours as well, some different shades of blue, red and different variations on black, like black with a blue pearl flake in it etc. I recently saw a dark gunmetal grey colour on a LHD imported Skyline that I really liked. It added at least 50 'I'm a badass' points to the look of it! :D I don't think it was a standard Nissan colour, it looked custom.

I'm very open to how the car is going to look when it's 100% done at the moment. I know the general style that I'm going for, but the paint, rims etc are some of the last things that will go on the car before it is finally assembled - before any of that happens I want to have the performance side of things sorted out and the car tested, before the final finishing touches are applied.

This is quoted from the 'What currently makes your life awesome?' thread, in case any of you missed it ;)

Last edited: 27 Nov 2011
  10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

For me, I'd go for a look similar to the Peugeot 206 Rally car:
    [​IMG]
    But lose the decals and stupid spoiler, and make the silver darker, and you've got yourself one sweet ride.

Another set of rims that could look awesome are the ones on the 350/70Z in the background:
    [​IMG]

As for colour, I'm a personal fan on 'blend in' colours. Flash looks fine on things like Ferrari's, Lamborghini's etc, but a Celica? Whilst you're looking at putting Ferrari level power through the wheels, I'd rather have it underestimated. Hence the preference to a darker silver. That is just me though.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

A set of 7 spokes might look rather fetching?

[​IMG]

A previous owner fitted a mesh grill to my car and I haven't had any problems with stones, leaves or denting and I'm mostly on B roads.

12. Unicorn

Those aren't bad at all - I'm going to have some pretty large vented discs on it so I'll need to be putting big 18's on :thumb: What manufacturer are your rims by? I'll add them to my list of contenders :)

Thanks for your input on the mesh - I'll probably end up going for a powder coated hex meh with a logo (Maybe "TRD") sprayed on it in my accent colour. I'll most likely be looking to get an intercooler without a logo to allow me to do this.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm still going to stick with my suggestion - Comp TH's for the road, MO5's for the track. :)

14. Unicorn

Lots of people don't see it with the TH's, but I can see how they would look awesome. They're almost like a set of fancy painted steelies :thumb:

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    It's a bit retro, but I like it.

And yes, a bit like painted fancy steelies, proper competition wheels too, which makes my nerd sense tingle. :D

Couple that with a bit of antilag, maybe some compressor flutter as well and you're on for a real winner.

Nice-looking one on PH at the mo, like the spoiler with the carbon standoffs:
    [​IMG]

Oh, and you've probably seen it, but it might be worth dropping this chap a line to see what his spec is like/any tips on building a 3SGTE lump with decent power. :)

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  16. Unicorn

It's an early 90's car, it's going to look a bit retro no matter what! Yeah it's easy to see that the Comp TH's look good on the MR2 Turbo and the GT-Four.

It's funny you should mention anti-lag, I was just looking at ECUs this morning. Originally I had wanted to go with a full blown Motec M880 system, but I came across a UK company called Simtek who build some pretty good ECUs that are popular among MR2 Turbo owners for getting the most out of SW20 3S-GTE's. It's also a lot cheaper than the Motec unit - The top of the range Simtek (DTS) is about £900 incl VAT and the whole Motec system will cost about £2K if you want all the bells and whistles like ALS, launch control, shift lights, "valet mode" etc... All of which I do want!

Really racking up the cost list now guys... Hitting 5 figures and I've only sorted out half the performance mods and some of the chassis work :hehe:

Performance has a high cost, I knew that from the beginning :thumb:

[edit]

Didn't catch the rest of your post on Tapatalk (Does not refresh very often for some reason). Yeah that one on PistonHeads is really nice, although the white rims do nothing for me. If it was mine I'd have them in black to match the riser blocks or dark silver/grey. Thanks for the link to the FS page on PH - I'll keep him in mind closer to the time that I start the engine work. Looks like he's built a fantastic machine :)

There's an absolutely stunning example of a multipurpose built ST205 on 6gc.net - it's the Car Of The Month at the moment and is called 'TRDGT4'. I wouldn't be keen on the same exterior styling on my own car, although I must admit that it looks fantastic. What makes it a closer-than-most example of what I'd like my car to turn out like is the fact that it's a weekend road car, show car and track car. He's still got an interior in it, with weight reduction measures in the back. The engine bay is a work of art and he's producing great figures with a moderate tune with loads of potential for much more in the future. I'll post some pics and a link later, I'm on Tapatalk at the moment and it's a bit fiddly to link images and urls.

17. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Prodrive PFF7's developed for the Impreza.

Not sure if they still make them but you can buy near identical wheels by other manufacturers

18. Unicorn

Ah, I knew I recognized that "P" logo, thanks! They look really good actually. Very rally style - they'd look gorgeous in a dark silver/gunmetal grey on a dark coloured car :thumb:

Here's that other ST205 that I mentioned in my last post;

"Underrated Over Achiever" by TRDGT4 on 6gc.net

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I love about this particular car;

- It was specifically built to be a triple tasker - a powerful track car, a stunning daily drive and an award winning show car
    - It's been built with an almost unbelievable number of original Toyota/TRD parts - there are not TRD logo's all over it for no reason, the owner works for Toyota NZ and had access to more original TRD parts than anyone else that I've come across. Even things that you can't and wouldn't ever see like the clutch plate and brake fluid are TRD originals!
    - It produces a nice amount of power at the wheels as-is, but has the potential for a lot more which the groundwork has already been laid down for.
    - Related to my first point, it still has an interior in the front so it can be driven as a weekend car. Also note the TRD short shifter - I'll be putting one of those on mine as well.
    - I like the showcar rally hybrid theme and the full decals look awesome on it, not to mention those original Toyota WRC rims! That being said, I wouldn't deck out my own car in full decals like that - not this one anyway. If I was building a Carlos Sainz replica or something I would obviously do it.
    - His engine bay is a work of art. Need I say more? Just look at it...
    - No detail has been left untouched. His attention to detail is what makes this truly special. From the "GT-Four" logos woven into the mats to the braided hoses throughout the whole car and the custom intercooler piping, he's spared no expense and the results speak for themselves.
    - The "GT-Four" logo on the lower section of the rear quarter panel just in front of the rear wheel arch is a nice touch. I know it's a tiny detail, but it looks great :)
    - TRD badge on the front grille is another nice touch, as are the projector headlights, JDM tails and clear side turn signals.
    - The car has an absolutely awesome stance. It looks fast just standing still. Did I mention those white WRC rims? *drool*
    - The TRD spoiler looks fantastic on this particular car - even better than the standard ST205 "wing", although I think I still prefer the riser blocks and spoiler on a slightly more standard looking street GT4.

The white WRC rims that I'm talking about are not shown on the car in any of the pictures that I've posted, you can see them on the car page which is linked above.

As I said above, this fantastic machine is COTM on 6gc.net at the moment and you can read the brief interview with Clint, the owner and builder here, as well as read about the work and parts that have gone into the car and see some more pictures of it on the car page (linked above).

19. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Now that is a very nice car. It looks a lot more striking with the decals but the picture of it in plain white is the nicest looking Celica you have posted imo. There used to a silver GT4 in my street that I used to lust after.

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Mr Unicorn

You MUST use either the same TRD spoiler as that guy, or a very similar knock off, or scratch build one, take a pick, but that is the spoiler you MUST use.
    Riser blocks are cool, but they've got absolutely nothing on that spoiler. Slap a GT-FOUR decal on each side of the spoiler if you want, but to not use that TRD spoiler would be a crime.

The car looks awesome both with and without stickers, but yeah, it would look very out of place on the roads in race paint :lol:
    The interior looks like he was just getting started with the mods... white and black is a very high contrast option, and the few splashes of white scream randomly! The protruding head unit isn't very pretty either.

The engine bay is very neat, but I think there's too many colours in there... and again, red and blue don't go very well imo. I think the engine bay looks much nicer like this:
    [​IMG]
    Even the wiper motor could be red as well actually.