1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My copper cube project ::: Last updated 1/12/3

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by hydrogen18, 5 Nov 2002.

1. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

The goal of this project is to build a enclosure to hold a pc with at least 2 hdds and 2 5.25 optical drives, a ups, a radiator, pump, reservoir, and in the future possibly a phase change cooler. I decided on a 2 level design. Pc on top, everything else on the bottom. So far I've only completed the frame. Im sourcing aluminum to make the sides out of and for the top of the case, acrylic. Im hoping to be able to heat the acrylic up and bend it to the shape i need. Im hoping to get some green ccfls for this case when im done.

[​IMG]

The frame from a distance. It measures 19.5 inches cubed.

[​IMG]

A close up, I've sanded some sections with medium grit emery cloth and clear enameled them. I need to get more clear enamel to finish this part and need to redo some previously sanded parts.

[​IMG]

I used T joints for the horizontal sections. I didnt bother to create a watertight seal whilst sordering as i dont need one. Admittedly it would be cool to run the water through the frame(acting as a rad in some ways too!), but I'll save that for another project.

[​IMG]

The other joints were done with 90 degree elbows. Again no water tight seal and I need to file/grind some excess sorder off.

Keep looking for updates. Anyone know of alu suppliers for cheap online, or in the Mobile, Alabama area?

Last edited: 13 Jan 2003
  2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

hmm..host doesnt support remote linking...any ideas guys?

EDIT
    Resolved thanks to cderalow. Pics are a bit fussy since I'm just getting the hang of my new cam...i think I need to bring down the res.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2002
  3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

email them to me and i'll host

4. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

ok...there sent....

5. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Sounds like a good plan, haven't seen many copper tubing cases, so there's a nice change. Nice job on the soldering there, although a few of them look a little bubbly.. Did you go a little loco with the torch?:D :eyebrow:

The only thing I would say is maybe incorporate a little more copper into it as in side panels and the like. As you said you were going to have aluminum and plexi sides.

Good luck sir!

6. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

i can afford copper sides without a doubt if I wanted them...but its money I can put towards new hardware/the phase change cooler. The alu sides should look nice...that isnt a bubble I tried to smack a piece of pipe in there and sorder it...it didnt work...wasnt straight and was very weak

7. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Good luck with the case. Looks like your starting out well and have planned it out pretty good. But it looks like it's going to be a LARGE case. :D:D:D:D:D Not very LAN friendly huh???? :hehe: :hehe:

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

About as lan friendly as a portable fridge.

Looks good, nice job. :)

9. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

nice design - i like it :) I have seen copper tube cases around (only 2) and they were wicked, looking forward to seeing yours

10. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

i dont do lans...and the case is very large...it squeezes through the doorframe with about 3 inch clearence on each side...the frame is actually quite heavy so im planning on putting casters in there somewhere.

11. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

Man that's bit of GREAT idea! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Keep it up! I love what you have, more pics, more pics!

12. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Last edited: 6 Nov 2002
  13. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

I think point of the original one is not this, but to make a complete case, not just a temp bed..

14. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

agreed they look similiar. But after all doesnt every lian li look similiar?

15. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yea what i meant was maybe u could get some ideas from the article....wasnt questioning where u got the idea...didnt mean to come across like it sounded

16. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

oh i c. Regardless I write for the modfathers so I've read it.

17. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Since im only 14 and cant easily go searching for materials...I hopped a ride to Ratshack. They carry nothing now, or so it seems. I couldnt even get perf boards. However I did get the 6 position rotary switch for my Diode-Bus, some knurled knobs, a new soldering iron, and a few 600ma transistors. Looks like im stuck ordering over the web now for most of my parts.

[​IMG]

My 6 position rotary switch, I tailed it with a floppy connector. The knurled knob I got is also in there.

[​IMG]

My new 15 watt iron with pencil tip, so much better suited than the 60 watt with wedge tip I had.

[​IMG]
    Thats my Diode Bus schematic. Not fully complete yet.

18. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

keep up the work m8.... and just email me if you need more hosting

19. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

You got my respect, mate. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

20. Samiel_6

Samiel_6 Samiel_6

I think it would look nice with a crome finnish, or have I gone off the plot completely here?