1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My copper cube project ::: Last updated 1/12/3

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by hydrogen18, 5 Nov 2002.

1. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

thats an option id like to have, specifically chrome pipe..but where does one find chrome pipe? the copper is impossibly hard to prevent from oxidizing, im planning on trying polyurethane clear coat rather than enamel as it hasnt worked.

2. Samiel_6

Samiel_6 Samiel_6

You ca buy chrome spray paint at your local car accesory shop. for about 5quid

3. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

cool...ill pick up some polyurethane, chrome, and copper paint if i can 2morrow

4. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

Are you going to use the piping for a water rig? go on, say you are...

The thermal transfer achieved in those pipes would be awesome :D

Other than that, Have you ever thought of mainly using copper piping for ALL of the case?

as in just creating copper piped based sides that water *could* run through, to make it one big heatsink...

Just a thought :D

5. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Well ive gotten some chrome spray paint but couldnt find any polyurethane, so I got some acrylic clear coat instead. I've yet to try either. Heres some other goodies I got.

[​IMG]

Its a whirlpool compressor. 1/4 HP. I got it for $20 and was told it was never used and still has original plugs in the lines. I've bent the suction lines back out straight and discovered the plugs oxidized into the 2 fill lines. I wont be needing the anyway so ill just crimp them shut to prevent and bits of the plugs from getting sucked up. Ways a good bit, yet to sit it on the bathroom scale.

[​IMG]

A 20x10 sheet of aluminum flashing. Really thin, but because of my design it doesnt need to hold weight and should do for this project. If I cant get to do what I want, I'm thinking I will buy some plywood and epoxy it onto that so as to make it stiff.

Thats all for now and yes I have considered making a rad as desribed above, but I've got plans of a different kind as far as rads go.

6. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

If you're doing what I you're doing with that rotary switch... I set my 6 position rotary switch from maplin (exactly like that one) up to flick between 5v 7v and 12v for my 120mm Delta exhaust fan. On turning the knob to change from 5v to 7v a massive blue flash appeared accompanied by a loud bang and the PC shut off. Luckily nothing was damaged but the switch went straight in the bin. It had make before break contacts and both 5v and 7v rails were connected at the same time. BOOM :eeek:

I don't know if it'll be ok with the setup you are using, but I basically had the fan connected to the 2 centre pins and the positive and negative rails connected to various pins around the switch. Hope it doesn't damage anything :D

7. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

nope, im making a diode bus, wont matter. but break before make is always a good idea to have when switching between power sources with a rotary switch. this project isnt dead, just stalled due a lack of funds and I'm working heavily on making the waterblocks im going to use. that rolled alu is very dangerous when cut loose(i almost cut myself all up). It really doesnt work well, so I am gonna do all plexy sides. I might try making plexi sides and gluing the alu to it. That rolled alu has its uses though, its quite easy to work with since it can be cut with a pair of household scissors.

8. ouija

You should polish up those pipes and laquer them for a nice shine then slap the plexi on. Would look pretty cool. I think using the pipes for watercooling is also a good idea... could embed a rad into the side of the case by cutting the pipes and joining it in place. Would be pretty cool with the plexi cut out and a nice big exhaust fan.

9. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

no, ill be running a phase change setup. Which means I must place my rad externally...unless I want heat my room a ton. I intend to polish the tubes up nicely...just havent gotten round to it...

10. ouija

Save on your heating bill :)

11. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

extra heating of room + already have to run air conditoner almost all year = not fun.

welp an update!

[​IMG]
    6 sheets of 1/10 inch crystalite! $30

[​IMG]
    All tools assembled rdy to cut plexy.

[​IMG]
    Plexy rdy to cut!

[​IMG]
    Dremel with multipurpose cutting bit...dont like the flushing device b/c u cant see what u r doing!

[​IMG]
    Plexy cut to size

[​IMG]
    Anyone up for some interesting shaped windows?

[​IMG]
    Plexy rdy to bend....the plastic coating had to be peeled back alot.

[​IMG]
    Unforuntately...no mid progress pics of bending...Anyhow...it looks pretty good...until u get to the edgework.

[​IMG]
    Ignore the fingerprints...i worked the edges over a ton but to no avail...i guess i need a tablesaw...

[​IMG]
    Trying to bend the plexy b4 its hot gets u this....luckily i can just stick this one in the back were nobody will see.

As for what i used to heat it, a propane blowtorch. Theres always the option of edge trim on the plexy...would im gonna have to give a try. I have 5 more sides to make(tired of hunting cheap alu...i just wanna get this done!!!)so I should get some mid construction pics. After thats done I've gotta make a mobo tray...and something to support the beast of a compressor(1/2 inch steel anyone?)on the bottom shelf.

12. m00min

m00min What's a Dremel?

hmmm still trying to move random bits or copper pipe and plexi around in head to form a case :lol:

:D

13. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

Been tought to get outside to do any work recently...it looks to be warming back up to a workable tempature now. Anyhow I did get some work done....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What is it? Its a craftsman multi purpose cutting tool(quite the mouthfull). I got it for christmas and it cuts all sorts of materials quite great. In fact, it works better for cutting plexy than the dremel...so Ill be using it from now on hopefully.

[​IMG]
    This is as far as I've gotten on the plexy panels...They look like 2 plexy tents...

[​IMG]
    After a trip to Lowes and my wallet being $20 slimmer I got the fittings to make these...

[​IMG]
    When they are threaded together properly it makes this, a manifold! You can look for instructions on how to make it in part 3 of my DIY wcing series at The Modfathers (coming soon!).

[​IMG]
    A close up of 1/2 of the manifold...

Thats all for now...im finishing up a project I dropped to start on this one tommorow...so I may not get to work on this project.

14. DarkalaOkiela

DarkalaOkiela What's a Dremel?

15. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

- LOL

When people post their pictures here, sometimes what's in the background is more interesting. I'm wondering where the hush-puppies and the dirty white socks are going to fit in. :D

16. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I got that same Craftsman cutting tool for x-mas myself, One tip though if you use the flexable shaft for it, dont put alot of strain on it, I did and I broke the shaft x-mas day.

and It was really getting the job done. Nice project by the way. I really like your work.

17. ouija

If you look at the original pic, each face (apart from the two sides) has a single pipe running horizontally across it. I think what is planned is for each of the right angle bent plexi sheets to sit in between two of these pipes. I had to look twice at it to grasp what Hydrogen had planned but I think I get it now.

18. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

yeah, the 2 top pieces will be slightly different so that I can have the top flip up instantly without alot of work, but yeah thats the general idea.

19. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

lol, my room was quite messy when i took those pictures...the brand is actually faded glory...anyhow thats my school uniform shoes and socks...

20. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

im thinking I may try and get some thick plexy to support the best of a compressor, but thanks for the link anyway...its got a lot of stuff there....