1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU My Corsair AX850 has ceased to exist!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

When I say cheap I mean free! :thumb:

Also can't stand waiting around for a collection. Good to know it's offered all the same.

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, even lexus makes a lemon now and again, but surprised so many users on this forum have had that many issues...

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It is the retailer that is held to account for faulty goods up to 6 years from the date of purchase!

SCAN said it's fine to send the PSU with just the Motherboard and CPU cable so that's good. Also offered courier to pick it up but I really can't be bothered waiting for them to turn up so I'll send it off myself. It's free anyway! :D

4. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Hi Blogins, I think my Corsair PSU has also gone - sad times. Just wanted to pick your brains on

How is this so? Mine was bought from overclockers in 2008, and I suspect I might get some resistance. Thanks

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 items bought should work for 6 years, the only problem is you need to prove a fault after 6 months from the date of purchase. More details in the thread linked in my signature including template letters you can tailor to your own circumstances. Maybe Section 75 could also apply if you bought it with a credit card.

What PSU are we talking about here, it may well still have warranty which is in addition to your consumer rights!

6. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Mine is a Corsair TX750. I've got a 5 year warranty with Corsair, but if it's going to cost £40 postage and there's no guarantee that they don't turn round and say wear and tear of something, I'd probably just buy a new one.

Mine was bought from Overclockers.co.uk, I may even have lost the receipt as all my emails were deleted a little while back, so I may be a bit screwed!

I say broken, I've still got to test. But something isn't working in my PC and the PSU fails to work in a second PC, so I assume it's that. And hopefully it hasn't taken anything with it.

Thanks for the advice mate!

Edit: My order history is on their site.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think you should clarify that by saying goods that you would reasonably expect to last 6 years.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Well yes! Obviously this doesn't apply to expendable items such as food (unless you're Jesus) and a more relevant PC example would be TIM (Thermal Interface Material). Don't worry about the receipt, a bank or credit card statement would be adequate to prove you actually bought the item from Overclockers.

9. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Lol.

Cheers mate. It turns out it may not even be the PSU, I have yet to successfully diagnose it as I lack spare/expendable parts to test! All I know at the moment is there's a problem with the CPU or MB, or both, as a second PSU fails to start it, but as i have no junk parts to test the PSU on, I can't be sure if that's gone too. Hopefully the damage is limited to just that, and not taken the rest of my system :(

As I can't really prove/diagnose the fault at the moment, it's problematic to even start looking for replacements or thinking of returns. Not to mention the fact I have and 1156 system, where most places no longer sell them, or charge insane amounts ~ £200 for a MB. I might just end up buying a SB system and replacing mine.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure i'll be posting on your consumer rights thread before this is over :p

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

More probable to be a motherboard fault if there's no signs of life even using a second PSU.

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My Corsair AX850 has just been sent to SCAN. Hopeful for a smooth RMA process this time. Third times a charm! :thumb:

12. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Yea i think the motherboard is what's gone too at the moment, but since i don't know what caused it, i'm not ruling out a faulty PSU just yet.

Good luck with your RMA mate, hopefully it won't be traumatic!

On a side note Blogins, as I'm without my main machine, I'm actually watching the Gadget Show. Apparently next week will have a section on Consumer Rights, thought you might be interested.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That is interesting. Probably covering old ground but worth a watch.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So the AX850 with modular Motherboard and CPU cable was sent on Monday with tracked delivery. It was signed for by SCAN on the Tuesday afternoon and nothing has been updated on the 'Returns Tracking' page on the SCAN website! So much for a smooth RMA! :duh:

Sent an e-mail to SCAN for clarification but I can see this being yet another balls ache of an RMA process.

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If it was only signed for yesterday I wouldn't say it is 'turning into a ball ache' just that they are probably really busy.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I just want a mere morsel of this acclaimed SCAN service. It doesn't take much to automate an e-mail to say 'Item Received' you can rest assured the RMA process is underway! That's not much to ask for in my opinion. :thumb:

17. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

When I returned a faulty motherboard to scan they gave me a new board, but kept the cables for the new board and returned my old cables from my previous faulty board (I knew as they were in the old opened rappers).

Based on this I would assume that if you returned it without the cables they would just take them out of the new box and return it without the cables.

Edit: I can see you already returned to Scan. I hope all goes well for you.

18. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

As long as I get back the equivalent of what was sent including a working PSU then I'll be happy.

Ratchet219 likes this.
  19. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Yeah Corsair PSU's are not what they uses to be. Few month ago I recommended Corsair PSU to one of my buddies and his was making buzzz noises. A lot of people reporting similar issues.

Ratchet219 likes this.
  20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I checked the 'Returns Tracking' page today and it has now shown up as being received and also tested as faulty. So I'm guessing I now sit tight until the AX850 comes back in stock then they can ship the replacement. This could very well be the first SCAN RMA I have conducted with the fewest issues! Although I have to say I'm not all that impressed with the communication coming from SCAN. At the very least I would have expected confirmation of having received the RMA goods two days ago.