1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU My Corsair AX850 has ceased to exist!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What the hell!

My PSU is yet again on the fritz. I'm losing a little faith in Corsair PSUs brothers and sisters! Just as well I have a 7 year warranty for this thing. Although it's not an outright failure at the moment the old symptoms are returning as I experienced with my first AX850. At the moment it's not starting straight off the bat when the mains power is switched on. Seems to take a while for the PSU to cotton on to the fact power is there!

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Have you tried plugging directly into the wall? (instead of through an extension or gang unit)

My ax 850 does the same but if i plug directly into the wall its immediate

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Interesting, thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Unfortunately I only have two mains plugs and an awful lot of equipment powered from the gang units! :D

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Just received a brand new HX850 from Corsair RMA. I mailed them the duff PSU on Thursday, to Holland. Received new one less than a week later. Colour me impressed. The old one was one of the casualties of all my kit going into storage for a fortnight when I moved - it developed a 'turn on and off randomly' issue that was driving me up the wall.

Currently very pleased with my experience of Corsair's support. :)

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So, just after getting some Corsair braided cables and rewiring my PC... the PSU is now dead! :duh:

Do I deal with the fuss of a SCAN RMA or just send it back to Corsair? I take it Corsair just wanted the PSU itself Paradigm Shifter? Certainly save a little on postage that way. At this stage I'm quite tempted to ditch Corsair and go back to Enermax to be truthful.

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 New Member

damn, you rarely see corsair things going wrong

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, they only wanted the PSU.

I have to say, it'll probably be cheaper to send it back to Scan - it cost a fortune to send it back to Corsair in Holland. They recommend getting proof of shipping, which to Holland made it cost £33!

I had a replacement PSU anyway, so I've not opened the new one yet. Will do so hopefully in the next week or so.

Sorry to hear your troubles, but I'd probably try another manufacturer while that PSU was in RMA.

As for Corsair stuff rarely going wrong - two months ago I would have agreed with you - but I've had three kits of Corsair Vengeance LP be faulty on arrival recently. Bought from three different (r)etailers, all tested on three different mobos (X58, 980a, X48) and they had errors, although none as badly as the first set - 900,000 errors in memtest in <20 minutes. The next kit was fine, though.

That said, in the past my experience of Corsair has been very positive.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have an Enermax Galaxy 850W that's served me well for years; now yet again called in to service! I'll RMA the Corsair unit to SCAN when I get a little more time to deal with it. Just as well this thing comes with a 7 year warranty, I'll need it!

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

You should've just RMAed it to Corsair. They honestly send out replacements in a matter of days. Which is impressive. But if it's cheaper to send it to Scan. So be it.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So my PC inexplicably turned itself off.

Can it be that my third replacement Corsair AX850 is also failing? This really is phenomenal!

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

What on earth is going on?!! My has been rock solid since day one!

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looks like it's time for a fourth replacement! Getting the old automatic off/on from the Corsair AX850. If they send a brand new unit I think I'll chop it in for a Seasonic branded PSU. Sick to death of this Cosair PSU!

13. pre

pre Member

Wow - I'm so glad my corsair is from way back when they were considered THE milestone brand. Do they still use seasonic as the oem?

14. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Doubtful. IIRC, my original TX isn't even Seasonic it's CWT.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What's good in the PSU line these days? Likely be GTX 980 Ti SLI in the near future so it'll need a little grunt. Also prefer a regular PSU form factor. That was the main reason I originally went for this quality AX850 unit! :D

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looks like it's time for a fifth replacement! I was going to deal directly with Corsair but their website indcates an RMA centre in Bolton...

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/warranty

I'm thinking that maybe SCAN have a deal in place with Corsair as RMA contracters. Would this be an accurate assessment? If that's the case then I may as well go through SCAN. Had hoped to avoid dealing with SCAN as much as possible but it might be unavoidable if my previous thoughts are true.

At least the AX850 is end of life! So I'll be in with a chance of getting a completely new model this time around! :grin:

In the meantime it's back to my trusty decade old Enermax Galaxy PSU. :clap:

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You'd be correct yes. Scan take care of all of Corsair's RMA stuff now.

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Just had a read through this thread... if it were me, I'd have given up long before you did!! I've never had a branded PSU fail on me and so far I've been using the RM550 for almost a year so I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I really hope Corsair give you something that you have better luck with!

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Just another reason I avoid Corsair. Their stuff these days is ... ugh. I won't bother. :D

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Installed my Enermax Galaxy and the same problem happened! Fortunately at the exact moment of the crash I had a save in XCOM 2, so I can replicate the fault. I think I've narrowed it down to an SLI overclock that wasn't playing nice with my computer.

So the Corsair PSU might be off the hook!