1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My experience with top of the line

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mac_Trekkie, 10 Feb 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I just built a $7000(US) computer for a friend, and I just wanted to document my experience with it. Parts list is in my sig, the Bronze Colossus was a fitting name in my mind, named after the neigh unkillable monstrosities of Dwarf Fortress. I've lost a few forts to these things. Anyways, we basically went down to Fry's Electronics, picked out what they had in stock and fit the budget (read: what was most expensive :lol:) Currently he's borrowing my Samsung Syncmaster 790b (1280x1024), with a u2711 on the way.

I just want to say, the Patriot Pyro SSD combined with the 3960X made installing Windows insanely fast, must have taken about 5 minutes start to desktop. The only intensive program installed is nVidia Supersonic Sled, which runs smooth as butter at maximum settings, but then it's only 1280x1024, so no surprise there. I can't wait till Kepler comes out and we try a GTX 780 on the u2711. While I could never justify spending that much money on a computer for myself, I must say, it was the most fun I had ever had building a computer.

The Chaser Mk-1 was a dream to work with, I loved the HDD bay's tooless sled system. The Rampage Extreme IV was a blast to work with once you figured out the overclocking system, everything is running cool and quiet. We've got an additional two 200mm fans on the way (coolermaster sourced, not thermaltake, sadly their 200mm's are not on Newegg.), that should help out a little with the slightly hot for my taste (40c) CPU, as currently half the rad is uncooled from the outside (still has a stock fan pulling) but is also blocked. I'll get a picture next time I'm over. Probably will use Mister Dremel to open it up a bit. :thumb:

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How did you manage to spend $7000? Just added up those parts and it doesn't even get close to that much.

3. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I agree with Pookey those components don't seem to add up to $7000?

Including the u2711 and using Fry's Electronics website, they add up to just under $4,500

Is the rest of the money perhaps set aside for SLI Kepler so that he can go for the 680 or perhaps the 690?

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  4. Mac_Trekkie

Aye, that and a $500 graphics tablet. Also not included is some minor stuff like extra fans, thermal paste, a wifi card + antenna, RAT-7 Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, IcyDock 2.5"-3.5" converter, and some other bits and bobs. ATM we're sitting at about $5500.

By the way, the Blackwidow Ultimate gets 5 stars from me, magnificent feeling and wonderful tactile feel. The R.A.T. 7, on the other hand, doesn't fit my hand well, but my friend loves it and I can't deny that it's sharp.

Forgot to mention, don't be afraid to post your experiences with top of the line hardware. Old or new, I love to hear about the creams of the crops.:thumb:

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

why would you buy from frys? newegg or microcenter would have been significantly cheaper, not to mention sales tax...

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The FX series is unbalanced ass?

Multi-threaded; I can kick the hell out of a 2500K, but the memory controller is so bad that the bandwidth is effectively halved on what it could be.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Wrong thread?

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

9. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Just built myself a similar system, but with a 3930K and 32gb of RAM. Insane fast, great for rendering :)

10. Pookeyhead

Why do you have someone else's rig in your sig?

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

E-peen

Also, $7000 budget and the guy picks a THERMALTAKE CASE?!??!?!?

I mean, their cases aren't bad, but they're definitely not $7000 build worthy. You could've gotten one of the epic Lian Li full towers, the CM Cosmos II, one of the Silverstone Temjin full towers, Corsair 800D...

And why the H100? You could've easily gone with a fully custom WC setup with that kind of money.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2012
  12. HandMadeAndroid

It's all a matter of taste, it's quite a 'flash' case and I can see why it would appeal to some folk. Personally if I had money to drop on a new case for a 7k build, I'd pick a lian-li or silverstone.

13. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Wow man, seems like you had an awesome experience. Nice one.

Surely you'll wait for the GTX690 (Apparently, they'll go 6XX series, not 7XX). I mean the GTX590 is apparently still the best card out there. With that much money, don't forget to SLI :p

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

This. They don't have the nickname "thermaltacky" for nothing. I'd also have specced a Full water loop, probably with a chiller.

15. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

why would you spend that amount on a PC anyway lol? Seems madness

16. Pookeyhead

But it's not his E-Peen :)

Plus.. top of the line? I won't post what'd build with 7K in case your mate sees it.. and opens a vein.

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Until he posted this thread we thought it was :lol:

18. Mac_Trekkie

Because he wanted it NAO. I would have done Newegg(they've started charging sales tax in states that have it annoyingly) for the better prices, constant sales, more availability, etc.

Because I built it. I'll amend my sig.

He picked out the case, it's a fine case in my opinion. A little flashy for my taste, I would have gone with a Lian-Li or a Cosmos II, but it does the job and does it really well. We picked an H100 because I've never done water cooling myself and the H100 is efficient and does the job well for a reasonable price.

I dunno, I'd never spend more than 2000 on one probably, but I just built the thing, I didn't choose the budget.

19. HandMadeAndroid

Thank you for clearing this up for everyone :duh: