1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage My first foray into RAID

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noizdaemon666, 20 Aug 2011.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Just purchased 2 new hard drives from Sp! (Cheers mate :thumb:) I'm going to put them in a RAID 0 array, with my old hard drive as a backup.

Now, a few questions. Would it be easier to reinstall Windows from scratch or could I get away with moving it all from my old hard drive a la copy and paste?

Also, how would you guys do the backup. I basically just want to image everything from the array to my backup drive periodically so I'm at less chance of losing everything. How would I go about doing this?

Cheers

2. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

When I was running a RAID array in RAID 0 I found it eas better to do a clean install of my os than it was to fart about with an old install chap.

While I can see why you want to keep your old install you'd be better with a clean one, will be much faster. Then make an image of your fresh install if you have something like Acronis True Image or something similar once you've got all your drivers and main apps installed and your O/S activated :)

Job done :)

noizdaemon666 likes this.
  3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Cheers Behemoth :thumb: Will have to dig out the old Windows 7 disc :hehe:

+ rep

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

i'd agree that a clean install is the better option when you've got the time...

...well, 'if' you had a decent backup regime & the boot disk failed then, as a quick way to get things up & running asap, it's reasonable to recover from the backup...

As to backing up, Acronis True Image has a reasonable rep (& is what i use).

My personal settings are for it to backup the the Win7 hidden partition, the OS/Progs partition(s) & any partition that has critical data on (for example i store bunches of stuff temporarily on the desktop which has it's own drive/partition - using it as a working folder)...

[NB i back up other stuff manually/in different ways.]

& then i use a daily incremental backup (ie after a full backup it only stores day by day changes) / full after 6 incremental versions / deleting versions after 14 days / exluding the pagefile (though i've disabled & removed hiberfil.sys but would otherwise also disable that) as it's pointless storing it.

But they're simply the settings i'm happiest with...

...well there are other people, esp with SSDs, who will take an image once everything's setup & working the way they want it (without any user data) so that 'if' they need to SE & reinstall they can run from that; supposedly saving time - i personally see the changing & updating of software & drivers fairly often as making this slightly pointless.

Tags: