1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My first mod (with a plan)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by minilogoman, 19 Nov 2008.

1. minilogoman

minilogoman Wannabe Modder

Ok hello everyone, ive been reading the forums for a couple months now and i decided to sign up today because i had a brainwave thought for my first (official) case mod. I was recently looking at the HP Blackbird pc's and i loved the stand that they had and ive also always liked the look of a dell xps how its slanted at the ends kind of like this /_/ if that helps you visualize it. so im planning my design for this case right and i would just like to ask the community for their thoughts or ideas.
    -Justin

EDIT: This is the HP Blackbird

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  2. minilogoman

Im getting ready to buy materials as i have all my measurements ready and exact dimensions of the case as i want it but im still hesitant of buying before i know what type of material would be best suited for the project. im thinking aluminum but if anyone has any other suggestions i would gladly take them.

ive gone online and have looked at prices and aluminum is actually more expensive than hot rolled steel which surprised me but i am by no means a metal expert. any suggestions?

Last edited: 21 Nov 2008
  3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Stick to aluminium --it is a lot easier to work with than rolled steel. Use acrylic if you want to reduce weight.

That stand is flash, but there is a reason it weighs four pounds on its own. A PC case is heavy and the forces exerted on such a stand are considerable. Be prepared to spend big money on that part.

4. minilogoman

ive made "some what" of a proto type out of some scrap wood laying in the garage and i found that with 2 lag bolts at the back of the case, it held 25 pounds ok but thats also why im wanting to use some type of metal. im thinking im going to need the support structure if i want to put 2 dvd drives and 4 hard drives in the front section of the case. i still have alot of planning to do but i just wanted to get some more ideas and opinions

Last edited: 22 Nov 2008