1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my hard drive! lol.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bixie_62, 15 Apr 2006.

1. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

hey all

i've got a hitachi 7k250 80gb sata hard drive, and recently, i've been noticing rather odd 'clicking' noises coming from it.

but its not like its hard drive chatter or anything, its waaaaaaay more louder and noticeable.

the closest thing i can place it to those lighters you can get, the cheapy ones, not the ones with the wheel, the ones with the button that you push, and its a loud sharp CLICK!

its like that

should i be worried?!

(and yes, ONLY 80gb! :thumb: lol, have no need for a larger 'array'! lol)

2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

yea i would be worried. dont store any data on there you dont have backed up. or want to keep

3. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

I'd be a bit worried. I recommend you acquire another drive, throw it in there and immediately start backing stuff up.

4. McKaamos

McKaamos What's a Dremel?

I would get the diagnostics software from the manufacturer and test the drive for errors.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't those drives have a slight reputation for failing due to overhesting?

6. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Remember that Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive line. And the IBM Deskstar drives had a reputation for failure with that signature Click of Death. The IBMs even got the nickname Deathstars.

I have 2 Hitachi 160gbs (which do say Deskstar on them still) that have had no problems in over a year.

So yes, back up your stuff quickly, your drive probably does not have long until it goes to the great RAID array in the sky ;)

7. customh

customh conflagration.

You have heard the famed "click of death". back up data and buy a new drive now.

8. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

these drives are pants tbh. im having issues with mine

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not the Hitachi's. The only IBMs did, but the Hitachi's records are much better.