1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks My Impending Court Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billy beard, 10 Jan 2002.

1. billy beard

billy beard What's a Dremel?

im bieng threatened to be taken to court by bt,read and weep......2 months ago i had adsl it hasnt stayed on longer than an hour at any time,the jist of the matter is this 2 outta of 10 amd users have no problem with bts modem....the rest well you ve had it,asked why i wasnt told there was a problem they said that because it worked [2 times in 10] then they didnt have to warn anyone,your not allowed to cancel [why im threatened with court] and they wont help you in the slightest...i was told to get a pentium [LOL],it seems bts technical line is piped into my local mcdonalds as they are as much help......SO if you have....a-bit board asus board,amd ,via chipsets if you decide to get bt adsl you have a 1 in 5 chance of a product you pay through the nose for,the other 4....TOUGH..................and dont expect help from bt.if id known i would never have bothered:mad:

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

BT sucks ass!:mad:

I was just discussing this with my housemate this evening. A mate of his was having real trouble with ADSL (don't know the details).
    Basically even third party ADSL vendors have to lease lines from them, so they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want.

Ntl aren't much better as anyone who has ever tried to get 'tech-support' out of them will testify.

High-speed internet connection is something the Monopolies and Mergers Commission needs to look into, coz we (the customer) are clearly getting shafted whichever rout we take.

Good luck mate, hope you stick it to em!;)

3. MrBadidea

MrBadidea What's a Dremel?

BT just like to exercise there beleif that they have a god-given right to Royal Shaft all in the UK...

...But see - good things shall come to thee that is shafted... bt shall be given a royal raping one day - then lets see 'em p!$$ us off with all this cr@p with the extorsionate prices and $!hite services!

...and I bet we allll know who it is that shall be administering such a fine reaming of bt...

ME WITH ME SLEDGE HAMMER

Mind you, every time I ring erm up now with a problem, things are getting fixed faster (but thats only cause I found out who the head of Insight & Vision (thats who you go see to get sorted with your wide-ass (broooooooooad) band) is- tis only me freakin uncle)

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Thinking from a legal point of view...

If BT offer to provide a service, but have a minimum period which you agreed to, then that gives them to the right to sue for breach of contract if you do...

But if they sold you the service using misinformation, such as for example, listing minimum PC specifications anywhere, which your computer meets, but their product/service does not work with your PC, then they are in fact failing to provide the service properly.

I don't think there's much you could do about installation charges though.

Although you might (and I'd love to see it too) win in court, to be honest my advice would be to fix the problem.

afaik it's a USB issue - alcatel make ****ty hardware in the form of that manta ray...you think BT bought them because they were a quality product ? or because they were dirt cheap ?

Getting a Zyxel Vigor 2200USB router (i think that's right) will solve this and provide you with the ability to share the connection easily - or find an old computer to do the same task.

a basic intel system would be cheaper than a court case probably... :(

5. billy beard

ive just read a thread on www.usbman.com from a p3 intel user and guess what ...yep adsl shuts down,seems alcatel modem takes 650mA and m/boards shut down at 500mA,no wonder alcatel sold this ****e to tompsons,so basically its total chance wether this works or not.................id laugh if i wasnt paying them so much

6. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

good luck with your court case and let us know how it goes

and BT deserves to flounder and die, hopefully in the wake of some serious (good and cool) competition.
    maybe then we'll get a good service :/

7. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

a possible solution if it's USB drawing too much power is to get a Powered External USB hub.

8. billy beard

i pick up a belson powered external hub tomorrow........but on the other hand why should i have too,if the hub fixes the problem im still not gonna let it rest :D

9. bradford010

To right!

10. MrBadidea

Damn Straight!

11. psychron

psychron What's a Dremel?

That dsl provider sucks man

Here in the U.S. i dont have to put up with as much BS as what u just went through. If I was in your shoes...I would do a reverse dns lookup and locate some names, DNS ip addresses and email contacts...then i would post that info on 2600 binary groups or on their BB. Then at least some newbie crackers could have fun testing out their security and giving them headaches...lol

12. MrBadidea

You just KNOW thats gonner happen :)

13. R121

R121 What's a Dremel?

I cant remember what section of the Bit forums but someone has provided a phone no. to complain about BT openworld service to oftel I think you should go to your local citizens advice buero and see if you can SUE BT insted that would be fun.
    There is a problem with the old via 133 chips I think the worst hit was the asus a7v133 because of the power drain problem but as Phil said b4 you can use a extrnal usb hub it should be fine or you can buy a d-link DSL-504.

14. billy beard

well the external hub didnt work,my advice to bt technical dept is to stick with what they no best.........serving big macs......i got a letter today telling me its only me thats got this problem with adsl...............LOL WETTING MY PANTS:D

15. macroman

macroman The One

The simple fact is, If you have had the sevice for 2 months and have not been able to connect for more than an hour at a time due to a problem with BTs hardware. Then they have sold you something unfit for it's intended purpose. As such, you can legally cancel and get a full refund If they cannot/will not fix it. It is after all supposed to be a "permanently on" connection.

16. bradford010

If you're the only one with this problem, how did they know that there is incompatibility with AMD (works 2 times out of 10)? Surely BT just contradicted themself?
    I would have thought BT had better things to do with their time. Like actually train their staff. Instead they stamp their feet and sulk. Ever heard that saying 'He who knows least, shouts loudest'? I think BT is absolutely screaming!

17. MrBadidea

u shud get some 1 to check the box on the side of your house - I had the same problem - nothing to do with the USB...

There was a loose connection in there apparantly

18. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

We care

Looks like BT have a strong argument to answer about their quality of service or the lack of it.

I will say this as support for the industry not BT.

I work for Telecommunications Company on the island. Part of my job is to help deliver a working ADSL solution to the customer. As my roots come from the same place as you guy's its hard to be taken seriously round the discussion table when it comes to gaming and alike. The process for change and improvement is slow and complicated because there is a real lack of technical expertise with in the industry as a whole. The provision of the ADSL network for an Island as small as ours is ridicules and questions whether in fact it’s worth the cost. I'm glad to say the company vision is for the future and the technology based around it.

We are still some a little way off launch date but hope to have a product fit for purpose for our valued customer. I will fall on my sword if I have to, but you guys know I wouldn't let anyone down.

19. MrBadidea

Re: We care

I would have to agree with that - but then there are the good guys that are hanging in there (but they are like 1 in a Million), that actually know what they are doing!

20. billy beard

well well well,it seems bt had forgot to stop my analogue line,and this was messing up my adsl,technical said it is impossiable for me to have used my adsl connection......oops tech lads wrong yet again,anyway now i have an apology ,free subscription,my money back for previous months and no court case to prepare for......im still bloody bitter thou,and would advise any one wanting broadband to go to ntl,or use two tins and a piece of string instead of bt and their alcahell modem,which still cuts me off,and is bieng sorted as we speak....i aint holding my breath:cool:

Tags: