1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple My iTouch has 5 dead pixel, what do i do?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MiT, 22 Jan 2008.

1. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

So i bought my iTouch of ebay, it was sealed and brand new, but it has 5 dead pixels on it, didn't really notice at first, only been playing with it for the last few hours.

I have had a quick read and it says Apple doesn't have a official guide on this.

So what do i do?

Can i send it to Apple under warranty?

This was the sellers policy:

Please can someone give me some info on this matter please.

Thanks

Bought from UK, i live in the UK

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Send him a message, explain the situation.

3. K

K 528491

If they are clustered and very obvious then I would book yourself in for an appointment at Bullring or Touchwood and see what they say at the Genius Bar.

FYI: If it is considered defective then it should be a straight swap out for a service part iPod.

PS - How much did you pay for it? Can't see it being that much cheaper on eBay if it's sealed. Might not be 'factory sealed', ya see.

4. MiT

Will do today

Paid £219 for 16Gb, its £279 in the apple shop, and £239 (i think) on amazon.

Everything inside was also sealed and it had the plastic protective cover on as well etc.

Most of the pixels are near the bottom left, and one is 3/4 down the middle.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Sorry to thread hijack, but i think its 5 (or more) dead pixels on a normal TFT before the manufacture is to take it in to repair the screen. I'm not sure if its the same with a smaller screen like your's.

Sam

Edit: Information regarding deadpixels at Aria, but seems to be an all over system: http://www.aria.co.uk/Support/TFT+Dead+Pixel+Allowances

6. K

K 528491

That's a fair bit cheaper I suppose, but still wouldn't have bothered myself.

Everything inside might be 'sealed' (or has that sticky back plastic stuff on it) but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be difficult to turn the thing on and go 'hey, dead pixels' and reseal the box. Just trying to come up with a likely scenario as to why one from eBay has loads of dead pixels since I can't recall ever seeing them come back because of this at the store.

Still, book yourself in online and head on over to one of the stores.

7. MiT

Just read this and it sounds scary :miffed::sigh:

Also found out its called stuck pixels.

Stuck pixel: show colour, and sometimes can be fixed by rapid changing colours.
    Dead pixel: are black.

My stuck pixels can only be seen on a black background.

I tried viewing a web site with different colours, and just moving it around fast, but there was no difference.
    I have had no reply from my ebay seller all day, hope fully i get an answer tomorrow.
    Also put my serial number on Apple web site and it says i have limited warranty till DEC 2008

Got a busy week, and weekend, hope fully it gets sorted soon. May have to pay the Apple store in Bullring a visit soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

(This is meant to be an early birthday present :waah:)

8. MiT

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not all dead pixels turn black - some turn different colours depending on the panel type.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

CRT F TW

11. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

On a handheld device? lol

12. JoeJones

JoeJones What's a Dremel?

Dead pixels should be the same colour as they are when the monitor is off. Essentially a pixel is made up of 3 colour components and when it's dead, no power, no lighting get's through and thus it's black.

A pixel can get stuck in a number of modes though. Stuck on one colour component or all of them (where it appears white).

If your problematic pixels are black (or some dark shade of grey) then it sounds dead. If they're coloured or white then they sound like stuck pixels.

Look up pixel massaging...although I imagine the iTouch screen has a protective plastic layer in which case I doubt the technique would work.

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yeah, I have a stuck pixel occasionally on my work's monitor, but usually poking it rapidly with my fingers unstucks it. See if you can apply some pressure to the LCD.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

True - I didn't really mean just properly dead pixels, I meant permanently-stuck ones too (I class 'em as dead, although it's technically wrong).

15. K

K 528491

aka - Glass.

:hehe:

16. MiT

Had a reply from the Ebay seller, he has said to try and get it replaced at Apple store, if not he can offer a refund instead.

I said i will try the Apple store first, then if they dont swap it, i will return it.

P.S defo stuck pixels.

17. MiT

So i saw the guys at genius bar, after seeing it, he did a straight swap. I told him i only had it for 4 days.
    I asked him if he had seen this problem before and he said it was the first for him.

Anyway, am happy, and all is well.

Thanks for the info guys.

;)

18. K

K 528491

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out. Like I said, not seen any come back like this myself so hopefully yours was one in a million!

19. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I believe there is a standard (ISO 13406-2 I think they are all this level of conformance unless stated otherwise) for LCD's and the number of dead/stuck pixels they are allowed before they're repaired. It depends on the size of the screen (resolution wise) but I think for a 17" 1280x1024 screen I think it's 3 pixels close to each other or 7 over the entire screen, 3 if they're entirely black or white. Because you have a smaller screen, the number should be lower.

Check this http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/...062_standard_for_lcd_screen_pixel_faults.html

Tags: