1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks My local exchange is finally getting Fibre Optic Internet!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by BloodlessDawn, 19 Jun 2012.

1. BloodlessDawn

BloodlessDawn I know nothing.

My local exchange is finally getting Fibre Optic Internet!

I think...

I was just looking around on SamKnows and found this information:

FTTC status: RFS date set as 01/09/2012

I had to google what FTTC and RFS meant.
    (Fiber To The Cabinet, and Ready For Service)

But basically found that the exchange will be enabled for Fibre!! Finally...

Questions though:

1) FTTC is Fibre To The Cabinet. Does this literally mean the closest street cabinet to me will have fibre optic cable run to it by 1st September 2012?

2) If it's only going to the exchange, will I notice a difference in speeds?

3) Even if it's going to my local cabinet, will I notice a difference in speeds? (It's still copper between me and the cabinet)

4) How easy will it be to get fibre optic speeds to my house after this date? (I'm talking in the region of 50 to 100 Mbps)

Thanks for any help & advice.

[edit] I'm a good 2 to 3 miles from the exchange, in case you were wondering. and about half a mile from my local cabinet (I think)

Bloodless

Last edited: 19 Jun 2012
  2. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

The website says for my exchange
    But if I enter my phone number on Bt's website for 'can you get Bt infinity' it says
    Might not seem much to some but I live out of the town and getting a pathetic 2.5Mb at the moment, which i've been moaning about for years !!

3. BloodlessDawn

I live out of town and I get 1.5Mb, occasionally 2.0Mb.

So, I'm assuming I won't see a difference in speed? (great... :( )

4. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

How it works is equipment in your local exchange is upgraded to support fiber optic.

Fiber cables are then run from your exchange to a street cabinet in your area via underground ducts etc.

A new cabinet will sit near or opposite your current non-fiber cabinet. This new cabinet will house a VDSL2 capable DSLAM (a mini version of your ADSL) to which your phone line connects.

As the cabinet is close to your house and uses the new VDSL2 tech, the speed of your line will be much faster as VDSL works faster over short distances allowing you to reach up to 80MBPS.

So the short distance from your house to the box is your old copper telephone wire but running over VDSL thanks to the Modem BT will install for you so it will hit the cabinet much faster than ADSL and from there it's the speed of light to the exchange.

After that it goes through a few more bits but there not really necessary to know as far you need to know it hits the interwebz.

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

6. Votick

7. BloodlessDawn

I just checked with BT and got this exact response:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012."

So, exchange gets it September 1st, and my cabinet gets it "by" 30th September.

I'm still slightly confused. The only place I'm lost is around the talk of the two cabinets? (One old, one new)
    Am I right in thinking I will benefit from increased speeds when the new cabinet is installed even if I stay on my current internet package?
    Or will my speeds stay exactly the same as they are now unless I buy a fibre optic package and get switched to the new cabinet?

Slightly confused...

8. Votick

Only the FTTC connections will be in the new cabinet people still on ADSL broadband will be in the old green cabinet.

So when you get switched over you should be in the new cabinet according to what I have been told.

You will see the difference there bigger and my local one down the roads has a big sticker "FIBER BROADBAND IS HERE" slapped on the front.

I will find out for you as my install goes in next week, I saw a BT van today patching from the old cabinet to the new so presume that's for me for next week :)

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

An exchange supports 'thousands' of lines, the cabinet only a 'few hundred maybe. You need both to be upgraded before you can get a FTTC service at your house.

Simplified it looks like this:

[exchange] ----- [cabinet] ----- [your house]

Old cabinet is as you are at the moment, all copper wires linking you to your exchange. New one the cabinet links to the exchange via fibre, but the link between your house and the cabinet is still copper.

Second option. You don't get an automatic upgrade, so nothing will change unless your buy a new fibre optic service.

The new cabinets are easy to spot as they are a couple of foot taller than the old ones and are noisy from the outside due to the fans inside them.

http://thecomputerlab.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/beacon-drive.jpg

10. BloodlessDawn

So, if I remain on Adsl I won't notice a difference? (as I'll remain in the old cabinet...)

I'm intending on upgrading to BT infinity (or equivalent) on the day it gets switched anyway.
    (Order now, get it connected on the day).

11. bsp

bsp Minimodder

Your existing connection will see no benefit.

Only upgrading to the infinity fibre package will see an increased speed.

12. BloodlessDawn

Well then I'd best get pestering my bill payer. Aha. Can't wait for faster internetzzz.

13. BloodlessDawn

Another question...
    The cabinet that my house connects to - When it's upgraded, will I be able to get the fibre optic internet on that same day? Like... if I 'pre-order' the internet will they connect me at the same time as "switching on" the cabinet?...

14. Votick

If they have a pre-order option then possibly.

How ever I have only ever seen it available once it's install and confirmed working.

I would be surprised if they did it on the day.

15. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

16. Votick

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I would check with the provider first, Sam knows always gets it wrong for me apparently sam doesn't know :worried:

Carrie likes this.
  18. Votick

Mine is in today.

From 3MBps to 60Mbps WHOOOOOOOOO EVERYTHING IS SO FAST!!!!!!!!

BT Engineers where hilarious :) I would love to know how to send them some feedback for the job they did, They were superb!!! :D

19. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Sigh... Im lucky if i get 2meg out of my adsl. Enjoy the speed!

20. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Sorry if I sound stupid but what is LLU, its ok just googled it for anyone who doesnt know heres an explanation of it

•LLU - Local Loop Unbundling - Not actually a type of technology, but rather describes the de-regulation of the former BT exchange network, meaning third-party access to copper wiring that connects the exchange to a broadband user's property.

The “Local Loop” describes the wires and equipment that connect your home to your local telephone exchange. Historically owned and maintained by BT, LLU means other companies can now access the network.

This means, for example, that when your local exchange is “unbundled” BT may allow a provider such as BE broadband to install their own equipment in the exchange which will then allows BE to provide you directly.

A provider that offers LLU broadband will use ADSL technology.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2012